RFI: Ceramic four-hole whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kcbirder

RFI: Ceramic four-hole whistles

Post by kcbirder »

I hope this is an appropriate place to post this RFI.

I have a ceramic whistle I just love, and would like to find more like it. It's a four-hole whistle with a fifth thumb hole. It plays a full scale plus one, with half steps above the third. The whistle is in the shape of a chickadee, is on a cord for wearing, and my sister has one from the same craftsman in the shape of a manatee. My chickadee plays beautifully, especially Christmas carols like Carol of the Birds ;)

Google searches don't turn up anything quite as "fun" as my whistle...just classic ocarinas and transverse flutes.

I recently found the songbook that came with my whistle, but a search for the company comes up empty. According to the book, my whistle came from The Whistlesmith W. 5627 Clark Rd Mauston, Wisconsin. The phone number now belongs to someone name Pfaff, and an address search yields no results. I believe my whistle was purchased at a craft fair about 20 years ago. The craftsman had whistles in many fun shapes.

Any leads in someone doing something similar? Thanks for any help.

Heidi in KC MO
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Sounds like an Ocarina, rather than a whistle. Concentrate your googling accordingly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocarina

They come in several shapes. I have one shaped like a turtle.

Hopefully, Walden or another resident expert will come along with more info.
lordofthestrings
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by lordofthestrings »

Certainly sounds like an ocarina to me as well. It's an instrument near and dear to my heart! When I was but a fledgling whistler, a pal of mine got me into the 'pot flute' (as it were) and I just adored it! I have several types, preferign the 'sweet potato' shape (like in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, for example). They have such a lovely haunting sound; I always make fans when I add use it during a gig! Yet the ceramic ones can be fragile! I sat on one once...
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: RFI: Ceramic four-hole whistles

Post by Walden »

kcbirder wrote: Any leads in someone doing something similar? Thanks for any help.

Heidi in KC MO
Yes, there are a number of makers doing the 4-holed ocarinas in all sorts of shapes. Here's a listing of makers. Some are dead links... not my fault they went away. :)

http://four.fsphost.com/ocland/englishguide.htm
Reasonable person
Walden