Ivory & Customs

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Have you ever been stopped with your pipes because of the ivory on them?

Yes
14%
No
86%

Total votes: 28

Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Ivory & Customs

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I haven't (thanks be to Jayzuz!)

Pat.
Uilleann915

Post by Uilleann915 »

Real ivory? I'll never afford it. :P It would have to be an old set to have ivory on it, right? I'm not an ivory connoisseur....how does Customs know it's real or imitation?
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Uilleann915 wrote:....how does Customs know it's real or imitation?
I suppose many years of visual training, scratch testing, UV lights, chemical test, burn tests.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

As I do not have an ivory mounted set, this is not an issue for me. Someday, when I can afford it, I'd like to have Mammoth ivory on an ebony set... perhaps a C set... hmmmmmmmm.
patrick Jacob

Post by patrick Jacob »

No Ivory for me !
There a many good alternatives, artificial, boxwood, any other kind of wood. The set isn't sounding better with ivory at all. For the elephants I would say NO...........
Besides this a lots of elephants were killed for ivory for a terrible set to.
But for the old sets wich already have it, don't change because of this. But new sets, I think the pipemaker has to take his respobility

http://drake.marin.k12.ca.us/stuwork/se ... asons.html

And this just for luxery............ :evil:
Joseph E. Smith

Mammoth or Fossilized Walrus ivory comes from animals that have been dead many tens of thousands of years... having died of natural causes or disasters.

I am avidly against the slaughter of living beings just for their teeth or horns or fur.
liestman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by liestman »

Sort of. I do not own any ivory pipes but was driving an elderly Englishman across the Canadian border and we were detained for 3 hours due to his Reid set of Northumbrian pipes with a substantial amount of ivory on them. It took ages to convince them that they were a very long time ago (as was he).
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Tony wrote:
Uilleann915 wrote:....how does Customs know it's real or imitation?
I suppose many years of visual training, scratch testing, UV lights, chemical test, burn tests.
I recall someone posted a customs document regarding the identification of ivory. From what I recall, much of the identification comes down to the grain. That's how they differenciate between elephant ivory and mammoth or walrus ivory.
PJ
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Ivory

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

Took my pipes to Ireland in August, ivory and all. I was nervous but encountered no trouble. An inspector in Shannon monitoring the xray machine quipped with a straight face "I will have to confiscate those", and my stomach was in my mouth, then he chuckled, and said that he wished that he could play them. No problems at all and I traveled on the day that the London airport terrorism plot was squashed.

Neil
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

liestman wrote:Sort of. I do not own any ivory pipes but was driving an elderly Englishman across the Canadian border and we were detained for 3 hours due to his Reid set of Northumbrian pipes with a substantial amount of ivory on them. It took ages to convince them that they were a very long time ago (as was he).
I do think the Canadian customs agents have an eye out for ivory. When I bought my pipes (in Vermont) and took them back across the border to home, they inspected the set carefully and asked me about the rings (which were imitation ivory, so no problems there).
glands

Post by glands »

I am avidly against the slaughter of living beings just for their teeth or horns or fur.
I agree......lets get 'em for their meat! Vegetarians be gone!
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Glands wrote:
lets get 'em for their meat! Vegetarians be gone!
What annoys me with all these wildlife programs on TV is they never give suitable recipes

Seriously though - from what I have read and seen Mammoth Ivory does not look different to elephant ivory unless it is heavily stained by minerals. If customs did indeed confiscate a set mounted in it would it be necessary to have it carbon dated to prove it was mammoth and get the instrument back ? How accurate is carbon dating - geologically speaking mammoths only became extinct in recent time. Would a receipt from the maker stating Mammoth Ivory was used be good enough to convince them ?

John
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Elmek wrote:from what I have read and seen Mammoth Ivory does not look different to elephant ivory unless it is heavily stained by minerals.
PJ wrote:I recall someone posted a customs document regarding the identification of ivory. From what I recall, much of the identification comes down to the grain. That's how they differenciate between elephant ivory and mammoth or walrus ivory.
http://www.lab.fws.gov/ivory/
Joseph E. Smith

glands wrote:
I agree......lets get 'em for their meat! Vegetarians be gone!
Hell yes! I haven't eaten me a tasty elephant flank steak in a month of Mondays!!! :twisted:
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

If ye carry your CITES certificate with the set then ye will have no problem at all.That is why they print them.It may be a bit of a rigmarole to get one but if ye persist then ye will obtain the certificate.If ye don't have a certificate then ye shouldn't really travel with them.
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.