Dance Music of Willie Clancy on eBay

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Dance Music of Willie Clancy on eBay

Post by PJ »

I believe that the DMWC is out of print.
PJ
KevinCorkery

Post by KevinCorkery »

Thank you PJ. I had looked into this book just after the East Coast tionol. One of the teachers recommended it.
patrick Jacob

Post by patrick Jacob »

Buy it !

It's a good book :wink:
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

It's certainly worth a bid. Clancy played some very different versions of certain well known tunes - Paidin O'Reaffertaigh and the Lark in the Morning, to name but two - which are reproduced in this book.
PJ
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

I bought mine in 1977 (first edition, second printing) and it seems they changed the cover at least once based on copies I've seen around since then (including the one on eBay now)... Is there anything in the later editions that wasn't in the first one?

Here's the cover of mine:

Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

bradhurley wrote:
Here's the cover of mine:

That's the same issue as my book which I purchased in 1988 I think.
KevinCorkery

Post by KevinCorkery »

I already bid on it, I have the username of fiddlerosin on e-bay. too bad there wasn't a "buy it now"
KevinCorkery

Post by KevinCorkery »

Damn, I've already been outbid!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

So, bid again. :D
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

At http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm
you'll find four copies of the book for sale - prices are between 38 & 78 US & A dollars. The copy at 78 US & A dollars has hard covers.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... 3&sortby=3

Abe's books also has 4 copies of the book for sale, prehaps the same four copies as Alibris? Prices netween 16 and 39 British pounds.

So there's no need to go mental and bid a colossal over the top amount for the e-bay book
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I have the new book (it's black, black, black!) and it has a bit of new material in it (mostly in the forward I think). I use it so much that I am just going to have it spiral bound to make it easier to use. It has most of Willie's dance music in it, I believe, but not all. I have heard some recordings of tunes of Willie (le Bobby Casey) that are not in the book.

T
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

TK wrote:It has most of Willie's dance music in it
Many recordings emerged after the book was published. That aside, you can safely assume Willie had at least ten times the number of tunes in the book.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

The newer edition has an additional forward from Pat Mitchell, and a discography. Some names have been provided for previously nameless tunes like the Boys of Ballisodare.
A few transcriptions of Willie's playing have appeared in An Piobarie over the years - Ace and Deuce of Pipering, for instance. Willie had great versions of tunes like the Four Courts of Dublin and hopefully some scribe will write these out some day.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:. Some names have been provided for previously nameless tunes like the Boys of Ballisodare.
I always had nr 53 down as Boys of Ballisodare, a similar two part version appears in the Rowsome collection as Daniel Markey's though.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Ah, going by memory here. Forgive me if I can't recall which tunes were nameless in an earlier edition of a book I haven't seen in 8 years!