First whistle - Feadog or Susato

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lecraw1097

First whistle - Feadog or Susato

Post by lecraw1097 »

I'm looking for a first tin whistle and after some research am deciding between a Feadog Pro "D" or a Susato Kildore V-Series adjustable "D". Is it worth paying the extra $25 to start on a Susato or am I fine on the Feadog? I am listeing to Spider Stacy of The Pogues.

Thanks.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I would recommend the Feadog over the Susato for a beginner. The Susato is not an easy whistle to play at first. The Feadog is a bit challenging, too, but less so (don't blow too hard and you're fine). The cheap whistles easiest to play in my experience are the Sweetone (but it sounds yukky), the Clare, and the Walton Mellowtone/Walton C.
/Bloomfield
DreamOgreen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DreamOgreen »

Hello Lecraw and welcome to the boards :) I've only been at the whistle for about four months myself but it does not take very long to get the hang of it if you practice regularly. Both whistles you mentioned would be quite capable of learning on with enough good qualities in the sound to grow with your increasing skills. They have very different sound qualities though from each other and which you would prefer could only be a guess on my part. My advise for what it's worth would be to use the search function of this forum. Put in keywords of Feadog pro and susato very small bore to read the many discussions about those (and other) whistles. The Chiff and Fipple main website also has a very usefull section on inexpensive whistles which you would also find helpful. Best of luck and enjoy the journey.
Inquisitor Generalis

Re: First whistle - Feadog or Susato

Post by Inquisitor Generalis »

lecraw1097 wrote:I'm looking for a first tin whistle and after some research am deciding between a Feadog Pro "D" or a Susato Kildore V-Series adjustable "D". Is it worth paying the extra $25 to start on a Susato or am I fine on the Feadog? I am listeing to Spider Stacy of The Pogues.

Thanks.
My understanding is that Spider Stacy plays Generations, but those have quality control issues, so the Feadog is actually better. However, if you're a beginner, everyone says to use a Sweetone. So, I would start on the Sweetone and then graduate to the Feadog. But I'm just going off of what I've been reading on this site and on this forum.

BTW, Spider Stacy is my major influence, as well. I saw The Pogues in L.A. a couple months ago and they were awesome.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

I'd say go with a cheapy (feadog). But, if you are willing to pay a little more than the amount for a cheapie, I'd say check out the Freeman tweaked whistles. Good luck.

-Casey
Life is good.
~William~

Post by ~William~ »

My first whistle was a feadog D and i highly recomend one, i still play it regularly to this day, its not a bad whistle, and best of all, ITS CHEAP!!!
I believe that a man is the strongest soldier for daring to die unarmed.
-Mahatma Ghandi
Bloomfield

Re: First whistle - Feadog or Susato

Post by Bloomfield »

Inquisitor Generalis wrote:My understanding is that Spider Stacy plays Generations, but those have quality control issues, so the Feadog is actually better.
I think bad Generations are rare, and the quality-control issues are overstated on the chiffboard. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Generation to a beginner.
/Bloomfield
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

dyersituations wrote:I'd say go with a cheapy (feadog). But, if you are willing to pay a little more than the amount for a cheapie, I'd say check out the Freeman tweaked whistles. Good luck.

-Casey
I'd recomend a Jerry Freeman tweaked whistle and in particular his Mellow Dog. This is a reliable, nice sounding whistle which will serve you well.

I wouldn't want a Feadog as a first whistle. It needs 'taming' which might be frustrating to a beginner.

The Susato is not for the timid. I like them but you need to give them some wellie for them to really shine. I don't think they are for most beginners.

For a cheapie one I like is the Walton Mellow D and I have given them to a number of beginners. This is the whistle that Jerry converts into his famous 'Mellow Dog'.

Personally I wish someone had told me to start with a Burke!
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Second the motion for the MellowDog. It doesn't look like a hand-voiced professional instrument, but it is.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Bloomfield wrote:I would recommend the Feadog over the Susato for a beginner. The Susato is not an easy whistle to play at first. The Feadog is a bit challenging, too, but less so (don't blow too hard and you're fine). The cheap whistles easiest to play in my experience are the Sweetone (but it sounds yukky), the Clare, and the Walton Mellowtone/Walton C.
This is spot-on advice. Except I've never played a Clare so, you know, I'm taking his word.

Most of the youngsters around here start with nickel Generatons and they learn just fine. They don't know there's anything better.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
NoMattch

Post by NoMattch »

I'd highly recommend Feadog for learning the Pogues tunes. It's what I learned on and I played a lot of Pogues in the beginning (still do). You'll find that you can blast away on songs like "Streams of Whiskey" and "Boys from Co. Hell" with no problem. :twisted:
I haven't been as happy with the way my Susatos perform for the Pogues songs...I don't know why, just me I guess.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Spending more than $10 on anything to play Pogues tunes strikes me as similar washing down Barbecue 'n' Slaw with a very expensive champagne. It just doesn't fit.

And I love the Pogues, and BBQ too.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
lisdoonvarna

Humble opinion

Post by lisdoonvarna »

I'd go for a Sweetone to learn on. I first had a Feadog when I wanted to first give whistling a try and gave up on it. Its not a forgivng whistle to learn on. I later bought a black Clark with the diamond pattern and it was sooo much easier to play. My Clark eventually started to give me trouble (probably just clogging which at the time I had no solution for) and I went to the Sweetone and even though I own a Shaw, Dixon, a Feadog and another black Clark I play the Sweetone virtually all the time.
Lisdoonvarna
if at first you don't succeed, buy a new whistle
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I think a Clarke original would also be a terrific starter whistle. Wish I had had one.
/Bloomfield
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I would get a Feadog. I have several including the Pro. The standard brass Feadog is very nice if you do what Bloomfield said and breath into the whistle don't blow. It does not take a lot of pressure to play beautifully. I would also recommend a Waltons C as an easy to play beginners whistle. I also play generations in all keys and both nickel and brass. I have had no problems with any of them that was due to the whistle. I have a Sweetone, a Meg, and a Clarke original that I never play. I just prefer the others. The Susato is a fine whistle but is not as forgiving as some of the others mentioned here. I have other more expensive whistles that are wonderful but you don't need to spend all that to learn to play.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.