Second Life

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Second Life

Post by Tyghress »

Does anyone else here have a Second Life? http://www.secondlife.com
I'd love to meet others' avatars, maybe get together someplace and talk about setting up a regular meeting area. If there is interest I would be happy to become a fully paid resident and buy property for a Chiff and Fipple Pub.

Sincerely,
Alexandra Mensing (feel free to offer friendship!)
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I signed up. It seems sort of weird. I'm downloading the client right now, so I guess we'll see.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Congratulations wrote:I signed up. It seems sort of weird. I'm downloading the client right now, so I guess we'll see.
It is weird...and wonderful...and can be a hideous waste of time if I let it. But it is worth it to have the opportunity to fly, create my own avatar, and tootle around the world talkign to people and seeing what their fertile imaginations come up with. My suggestion is to work through the tutorials on Orientation Island, then explore Help Island for at least a day before leaving the area. You can get back to Help Island, but once you leave the first Orientation/Help complex you can't get back to Orientation at all.

Tyg/Alexandra
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Sigh... I used to belong to one of those cyberspace realms. I can't even remember the name of it.

As I recall, you needed to spend a serious amount of time doing stuff. After a couple of months I just let it lapse. I have a hard enough time in meatspace.

In case it isn't clear, that's "Include me out." (Sorry.)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I just don't have a lot of time to devote to MMORPGs..

I've had a Warcraft account for over a year, and I still haven't reached level 60, though I know folks who've done it in 6 weeks. heh.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

I looked at it, and am intrigued enough to try it.
I've though about trying others like this, and this one looks the most promising.
I think I'm gonna have to beef up my PC (3yearold laptop) first ...

What's the learning curve like? I mean, I'm quite computer-literate, but I'm not a gamer by any definition, and never have been (I guess tetris and donkey kong don't count anymore)

How much time am I likely going to have to waste just trying to learn it?
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Here's the thing...it isn't a game. Think of it as a chatroom on steroids. You don't need to 'do' anything, or achieve anything, or kill anything. I've watched internet communities from the start, back when it was simply a way for scientists to communicate, and this is just the next step in the evolution of internet communities, not internet gaming, though it can be used as that too.

The learning curve isn't bad at all. Sadly the tutorials don't go into the most valuable skills, the search, but its right there at the bottom of your screen.

For those who want to try their skills at building, there is a way to make objects, and from there if you want to buy your own spot and create on it, you can do so (paying member). But there are vast areas where people have already built, and you can use them to plop down and talk with others....I've already had a great chat with a few knitters. If you want to play with objects, animations or gestures by programming them, that's great. Or buy and use someone else's. Or don't. Loads and loads of stuff free.

I don't do as much on the message boards as I used to, but I really have enjoyed meeting new people on Second Life, browsing galleries, and poking around in virtual gardens. To my surprise, one of the first locations I stumbled into was playing Live Ireland on the 'radio'!

Anyway, as I said, if you're interested, look me up as Alexandra Mensing.
Tyg
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

So it looks like The Sims crossed with MySpace and a dash of World of Warcfraft for spice. Is that approximately how it works?
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Yes, I guess. I've never been on the other sites. I think they are all pay places...here you can amble about for free and do nearly anything except own land. I met one person who is not a paying member, but he builds things and sells them, and has made enough of the SL money to do anything he wants to do on leased space.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

This strikes me as sinister. After awhile you dissapear from
'meatspace,' yes? Go off to second life. Sort of
like Marlboro Country in cyberspace.
Bail out while there's still time!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Meatspace. What a cool new term.

Sorry guys, gotta run. Got some meat business to attend to.
(you know...I might call my version of reality tofuworld though...)
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I wish I had the ability to post an audio track but in the meantime you'll have to settle for the words

Shame really..the band really make it swing.
Bedtime over here folks..

Nighty night..

Slan,
D. :sleep:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats