Interesting argument/discussion

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Interesting argument/discussion

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Discussment? Argucussion? Mudcat.org is a website devoted to song of every stripe, I found this interesting two year old debate about "Ullean Pipes" [sic] there as well. Much interesting input from people armed with old copies of the Groves Encylopedia, as well as a healthy heaping of Image and Image.
billh

Post by billh »

Geez, what rubbish - nearly as bad as the narrow-bore-D thread recently pointed to on this site :-./

Nobody ever seems to bother with recent scholarship, contented to argue amongst themselves. Anyone who cares should read Seán Donnelly's articles in Seán Reid Society volume 2 and his book on the early history of pipes in Ireland (both available from NPU). As far as I am aware, no one "in the know" seriously disputes Donnelly's findings.

Bill
tompipes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

Your right Bill.

It's a load of people who have bits and pieces of long out dated information. Their content to air their views on a public internet forum with very little background knowledge.
Ya know the folk, "i saw riverpants 3 times, I know the lot"
or " a friend of a friends friend met a man in a pub and told them the who story..."
rubblish.

I wish more people would read Sean Donnellys work.

Tommy
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Aw, come on guys, I said it was "interesting," make of that what you will. These aren't NPU members, they're casually aquainted with Irish music by and large. It was from ye old fresh perspective, or I thought so anyway. Also the pokes in the eyes with sharp sticks was good fun, love a good flame war.
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

It's rubbish, but I particulary liked this post...

"Well, the way I heard it is that Packy Og O'Scuid invented the Uilleann Pipes on July 8th, 1625 at 8 pm, when his wife Peggy belted him in the head with the bellows from the fire. A lightbulb went off in his head, remarkable so many years before Tomas Edison's cook invented the light bulb as a joke, and as I was saying Packy suddunly realized that he could drink and play at the same time if instead of getting belted in the head with bellows, he could belt bellows around his waist and play the pipes. Shortly there after (fourty years to be exact) he finnally made a playable reed,..."

:lol: :lol:
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Yes, I admit I found it entertaining as well. It also seemed to ring just a tinkle with truth. :P