Kiva.org

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jkwest
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Kiva.org

Post by jkwest »

I have always enjoyed watching Frontline news on PBS here in the states. The other night, I was watching it, and they ran a show about an organization named Kiva. Kiva is a non-profit loan distributor to 3rd world countries, meaning the money you give to Kiva goes directly to people in like Uganda who are trying to start up a small business of their own. One woman was asking for $150 bucks to widen her fruit stand. Just small stuff like that. I was sooo moved by this show that I went to their website to see what was entailed in the loaning process. They were hit by so many people wanting to help out, that their website buckled! I was actually happy to see that!! Anyways, many people on this board seem to be great people and wonderful givers(including Dale), that I thought I should post their website so others could look them up. And if you are surfing the channels and see Frontline on and its this episode, I seriously recommend tuning in to it!

Be a great person! Start loaning!

P.S. I am not affiliated with them in any way!!! I promise!
Last edited by jkwest on Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djm

Post by djm »

I didn't see Frontline, and their web site still isn't up yet. Do you know anything about them from the show? Are they are registered charity? Are they a Christian organization?

Thx,

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

This website will give a little information about Kiva Microfunds. I think it is considered a non-profit microfinance fund rather than a charity---although loans are repaid without interest, so...Anyway I couldn't find it listed with organizations that list charities---but I'm not that expert at looking.
http://www.mixmarket.org/en/supply/supp ... p?ett=1926

This is the homepage for the MIX website which lists Kiva Microfunds as a fund. I think there is a lot of information about microfinancing you can access from that page. I wouldn't have any idea how to evaluate the different funds.
http://www.mixmarket.org/en/home_page.asp

I do not know anything about the MIX Market organization from whose website the above pages are cited. It may not be reputable or it may be.
The global information exchange for the microfinance industry

The MIX Market strives to facilitate exchange and investments flows, promote transparency and improve reporting standards in the microfinance industry

I think this is the Frontline show---UGANDA: A Little Goes a Long Way. The "San Francisco-based nonprofit" they refer to is Kiva Microfunds.
http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stori ... index.html
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
jkwest

Post by jkwest »

I am bumping this after two years....

I have had a link in my signature, but, I want people to see it on the frontpage....

I have just made my 10th loan through them!!

I love it, it feels great.

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Thanks to jkwest for the tip on Kiva. I've been a member for awhile now. I made a $25 loan every month for several months and so now have that money in circulation in kiva loans. When the loan is repayed, I just reloan it. Every single loan I've made has been repaid or is being repaid according to schedule. It's fun. I'm giving away Kiva gift certificates for Christmas gifts.
springrobin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

I really like opportunities such as this that truly put the money where it's needed to give folks a leg up. Even those of us who are losing jobs have more than a lot of folks in the world- and a better chance at turning our lives around when things improve.

In some countries, it only takes a little bit to make a big difference. Our handbell choir handed out bottled water with labels asking folks to bring the empties back full of pennies. In a year we were able to purchase a water tank for a village in Africa with those cast-off cents. One youth group used their pennies to purchase sewing machines to enable a community of HIV-positive women to support their families.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Neat! Thanks, guys. I like giving to things like the Heifer project
that seek sustainability. Looks like Kiva's another good idea.
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

springrobin wrote:Even those of us who are losing jobs have more than a lot of folks in the world- and a better chance at turning our lives around when things improve.
Springrobin, thank you for this gentle reminder... I've been feeling a bit down today regarding my recently laid-off status, and I think I needed to hear this rather timely message. :)

And thank you too, jkwest, for the original post and bump. This looks to be a wonderful thing to contribute to, as does the Heifer project that fearfaoin mentioned. Good stuff, just like the people on the Chiffboard!
jkwest

Re: Kiva.org

Post by jkwest »

thanks for the kind words, aderyn_du!!!

A little late in responding...sorry... :love: you're pretty hot, BTW.... :wink: I like your tattoo on your left arm...nice line work.

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti