snow what!?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Brigitte
antispam: No

snow what!?

Post by Brigitte »

Sitting here and working away and outside it is so heavy raining, snowing and hailing... I cannot believe it and it is not even winter, yet!
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Yes, there are areas here also that had no autumn - just went straight into winter. A strange year for weather.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

We had the first snow of the year in my parts of sweden today. It was snowing heavily this morning, then the temperature went above zero so most of it melted, and now it's below zero again so it's icy everywhere. You have to watch your steps.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

We used to get that in NY in the late 80s. One year we had multiple layers of snow and thin ice, so if you tried to walk in it you would kind of shift down each level as the thin ice layers broke.

It was fun. But by about 1991 it wasn't happening anymore.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

At no time this autumn has the temperature dipped below 5°C, 41°F in Bude, day or night, until this evening. Somebody up there has realised it's November. We have had a freakishly warm September and October (record-book stuff) on top of a hot summer. Summat's going on all right.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Henke wrote:We had the first snow of the year in my parts of sweden today. It was snowing heavily this morning, then the temperature went above zero so most of it melted, and now it's below zero again so it's icy everywhere. You have to watch your steps.
Um. Sorry Henke but freezing is 32 degrees not zero.

Just kidding.

We had real early snow in the beginning of October but haven't had any since.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Henke wrote:We had the first snow of the year in my parts of sweden today. It was snowing heavily this morning, then the temperature went above zero so most of it melted, and now it's below zero again so it's icy everywhere. You have to watch your steps.
Um. Sorry Henke but freezing is 32 degrees not zero.

Just kidding.
We've had the ludicrous situation for decades in the UK of having both °F and °C scales in use. The BBC weather forecasters always rattle off the predicted values in both units. Daft or what. That cold air over Sweden has finally flooded over the UK today, Henke, but because of the good ol' North Sea we're still getting at least 10°C. Nice weather, too, except down the east coast. Brrr. It's what makes all them Geordies and Aberdonians such hard men and so unappreciative of my funny Prague pics. :P

The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

We had a cool June, a half-cool July, then a monstrous heat wave in late-July. Back to a cooler-than-normal August. An almost-normal September, now an overly-cool October with only a few warm days and one rainfall. Last night, it was more like December.

At least the kiddies weren't hot in their costumes, the way they usually are here..
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

SteveShaw wrote:Nice weather, too, except down the east coast. Brrr. It's what makes all them Geordies and Aberdonians such hard men
The only thing hard about me just now are the icicles forming on my nose. It's frickin freezing up here just now!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

No snow here, doesn't look as though there will be any again this year... sigh... that just, like, totally sucks. :P
WhistlingArmadillo

Post by WhistlingArmadillo »

I hope I get to wear my coat this year.
At the end of it all, I want to be told "Well done". I don't want to _be_ well done!
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:No snow here, doesn't look as though there will be any again this year... sigh... that just, like, totally sucks. :P
Aww... who knew you did pitiful so well?

Makes me want to take up a collection and send the Smiths a dump truck full o' snow.

:wink:
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

chrisoff wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:Nice weather, too, except down the east coast. Brrr. It's what makes all them Geordies and Aberdonians such hard men
The only thing hard about me just now are the icicles forming on my nose. It's frickin freezing up here just now!
Billy Connolly once said that if you so much as think about swimming in the North Sea your willy automatically disappears in on itself. Even worse than the usual cold weather "acorn atop a walnut" syndrome. So that's another thing not hard about you Aberdonians in winter. :wink:

Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

scottielvr wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:No snow here, doesn't look as though there will be any again this year... sigh... that just, like, totally sucks. :P
Aww... who knew you did pitiful so well?

Makes me want to take up a collection and send the Smiths a dump truck full o' snow.

:wink:
Cool, but it wouldn't be snow any more when it got here. :D
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

In England the May-October six months period was the hottest six months in recorded history, which goes back in the records (Central England Temperature series) to 1659.