Kevin "Bad Hands" Gives Up: My Beautiful Overton BHD is Now

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DazedinLA
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DazedinLA »

Some of you may have seen my prior thread about my experiences with the Overton BHD I purchased from a fellow Chiffboarder a month or so ago.

Well, I've now officially given up. My fingers are too skinny/bony and mangled from youthful martial arts swordfighting to handle this wonderful whistle, which pains me deeply because when I do get the holes covered properly, it renders the most beautiful whistle tone I've ever created. And now that I've discovered the fiddle, (which for some reason my hands can handle) the BHD is going totally unplayed, and that seems wrong somehow.

So, here's the deal. I'm offering this whistle for sale on the same terms, and at the same price, that I recently bought it, namely $130.00, which will include shipping in the US regular mail (Insured, and other safer means of shipping are available but will be extra at my cost). This includes a nice black padded whistle sleeve/bag that fits the whistle nicely and came with it when I bought it.

The whistle itself is in excellent condition from what I can tell. This is, of course, a nontunable whistle, and I have not checked it against an electronic tuner to check its tuning, partly because other Chiffboarders more knowledgeable than me say that this is a misleading and inaccurate thing to do. It sounds good to me.

So, the price is $130.00. I'll sell it the same way I got it...to the first person who emails me and says that they want it.

The only thing I ask is, if at all possible, buy this whistle only if you think you can handle it...skinny/bony fingers will have a rough time, as will arthritic fingers, and if you got both, well, join the club. :smile: I'd like this nice whistle to go to "Good Hands" and get played as well and as often as it deserves. I'll put it up on Ebay only in the event that there are no takers on the Chiffboard, and the opening bid would then be the same $130.00.

Thanks!!

DAZED

P.S. Oh yeah, and I've never sold anything on the board before, so I guess we need to follow all of Dale's rules, which If I remember right is send me emails with questions and etc., and dont post to this with your questions, and etc. Also, if you want the whistle, please send me an email as opposed to a private message on the message board, since I can never tell when those things are in or not. Thanks :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DazedinLA on 2002-06-09 13:41 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DazedinLA on 2002-06-09 13:42 ]</font>
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

What key, Dazed?
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

What is BHD? Big hole D?
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yeah, it's a low D.

I must confess I'm the one who convinced Kevin to buy this whistle. Guess I didn't fully realize what shape his hands were in. My mistake.

The Big Hole Low D is an awesome whistle, I've got one and you won't see it up for sale, ever. Kevin is right though, if you have really thin fingers, or hand problems, go for a standard Goldie Overton instead of this Big Hole version. OTH, if you have have some low d experience already, and/or you have medium to large size hands, these whistles are killer and quite doable. Actually, I have really small hands, with thin fingers, and I've been able to manage my BHD with a little work.

Oddly enough you'll find that the BHD is actually easier to blow in the upper octave than a similar standard hole Overton. And the sound.....It's as close to the Spillane sound as you're ever gonna get, period.

Someone is going to end up with a killer whistle, with no wait, and the price is cheap!

BTW, there are very few BHD's out there as I understand it. Somebody snatch this thing up!

Loren
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

BHD??
Is this the DS mystery model??
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2002-06-09 19:30, Tony wrote:
BHD??
Is this the DS mystery model??

I'm not touching this one, no how, no way.....
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

I've always wanted to ask this but never have. What is better about larger holes, and is it the same for a flute with bigger holes.

Jack Murphy
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Generally speaking, larger holes make for easier, more accurate half holing, more controllable slides, and greater volume.

Loren
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

The BHD is sold. Thanks for all the interest, and eventually I'll recover from the trauma of actually putting this thing in a mailing tube and sending it away. Actually, I am happy that this whstle may now be makin the music its supposed to be.

Kev
<a href="http://www.geocities.com/whistleannex/index.html">The Whistle Annex</a>, Home of the Chiffboard Matrix
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Sorry you had to part with your big hole Overton.
I love mine dearly... even if it is a beast!
I do daily finger stretching and strengthening exercises, but it still takes every bit of my ability to play mine.
Still, the sound it produces is well worth the effort.
I hope the next owner can manage the stretch.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits