Well, it looks like this kids' Morris troupe is going to hap

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I spoke to the lady who's trying to get things organized, and so far she's got seven interested kids/families (and that's without really advertising at the school...just word of mouth). So far she only has one parent/instrumentalist (me), but hopefully we'll discover some other folkies among the moms and dads.

The really cool thing is, I now have an EXCUSE for playing all the time :wink:. Whenever someone complains, I can say (very primly, of course!) "It's very important that I practice...we can't let the kids down, now can we?" Most of the music they use is simple stuff..."South Australia," "Drunken Sailor," "Shepherds Hey" and so forth...stuff I already know and just have to get back in the swing on.

What fun!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Whistlepeg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlepeg »

Morris On!!
oh, and don't forget your bells & hankies!
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

My friend Sarah lives in Santa Cruz and she plays hammer dulicmer/guitar/whistles/bodhran and does morris dance and she's a teenager! Could I get the information on this so I can pass this on to her? She would be really interested.

Also, do you have the sheet music for South Australia? I love this song but I can't find the music anywhere!

Caryn
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

As soon as all the details are hammered out, I'll be happy to pass them on. Right now, things are still very much in the developing stages (and I'm not the one doing the developing...just an enthusiastic supporter).

The basic background is this: One of the parents is a Morris dancer, and her daughter started dancing recently too. A couple of the other kids (my daughter included) have expressed an interest in getting involved, so she spoke with the leader of her group about the possibility of forming a kids troupe at our elementary school. Right now she's putting out feelers to see who's interested (and getting an extremely encouraging response). I'm really excited about the idea...I think it would be a great experience for the kids.

I don't currently have the sheet music for South Australia (I play it by ear), but I probably will soon...or I can score it out, if you like.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

If you wish to purchase Days of Gold, one of the songbooks of Calicanto Associates, which has the chantey South Australia, contact me via the Forum private messages and I'll get you ordering details.It is also available in many museum bookstores etc. Or visit:

http://www.bayareawebdesign.com/ca/
and look for the Calicanto Associates info. If its incomplete, do email me. Its a very old site that they have not revised lately.

Days of Gold has 57 songs with notes, some dances etc all involving the California Gold Rush and including sea chanteys and songs from Native Californian, Spanish, Anglo-American, South American, European, Hawaiian and Chinese songs among others.You can get the accompanying 2-cd, which has yours truly and the other two Weekenders performing South Australia, but in your case you just need the music and some kid-friendly lyrics, which our songbooks are designed for (California Fourth Grade History Curriculum for public schools).

I don't make anything for this as I am just the Music director, not a founding partner but we definitely have that song, fyi. There also may be words in Stan Huegels Sea Chantey book, but you would need to order that from Lark in the Morning or perhaps one of the folk music outfits back east (Andy's Front Hall, etc).

Best wishes. good luck with the kids. there's nothing like hearing them sing and have fun.We played an assembly down in Santa Cruz in fact at an elementary school about two years ago.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Weekenders on 2002-06-05 02:16 ]</font>
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

Thanks Weekenders. Once I get some money(I'm broke :sad:) I'll probably check that out.

When you get more information on the Morris dnace, let me know, so I can pass the information on to my friend. It sounds really cool.

Caryn
Feadan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

My wife has been teaching children morris and garland dancing at her school. It is always such a joy to see kids having fun getting involved in these traditions. BBC has a story on morris dancing on their website today.

Cheers,
David

P.S. That link doesn't seem to be working. Hmmm. Okay, go to http://news.bbc.co.uk and scroll down. Look on the right for the story titled "Morris dancing rocks!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feadan on 2002-06-05 13:22 ]</font>
Seth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Seth »

Up here in the Twin Cities we have (that I know of) four different Morris Dancing Troups and maybe two years ago they all decided to form a fifth troup of all the dancer's kids who want to dance. So now we have another troup called the Northern Lights. Now the question is this, as far as I know, Morris is a fertility rite. So what is going to happen to these little kids?

Seth