OK, how'd they do this?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

OK, how'd they do this?

Post by brewerpaul »

Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Darn, I can't play Shockwaves anymore. :x

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I'd pay for them to teach my wife...
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I can't play anything at Youtube anymore. I have downloaded the Flash player, it seems like Java this and that is enabled. Other websites tell me I need the newer flash player, but when I go to the Adobe website I see the little movie thing I'm supposed to see.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Um....multiple people (the screen hides them and the spare clothing that's set up for step-in)...multilayers that remove very quickly.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

And that bag of stuff he tips over her at the end is obviously a large squad of butterflies trained to perch on her dress and spread their wings systematically.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Since the thread I responded to got deleted for something unrelated to my post, I looked this one up to respond here..

I have some theories..when she first came out, I immediately thought she looked bulky, like she was wearing multiple layers, with the clothes gimmicked for fast changes.

I think she's blonde and is wearing a black wig at first.
First change: Pull off dress while hidden, no big deal.
Second change: same thing...each suit gets progressively smaller.
Third change into green outfit: same thing, wile removing wig...her hair looks like real hair now. She doesn't actually put on the green dress on the hangar. She just leaves that behind in the curtain.

The fourth change is difficult..it requires some props. This is where she goes from the small green outfit to the bigger blue outfit. If you go through it very slwoly, though, you can see her belly looks a little padded in the green outfit, and while she's walking with the hoop, the blue outfit rolls down.

It covers the green outfit, and it happns right after he gives her the hoop..you can see him pull her top off from the back, because it wasn't well concealed, and I believe the blue top was was under the green top. and the dress/skirt portion was layered under the top as well, making that "belly padding" I noted. So when he yanks the top off (it stays connected to the back of the hoop), the skirt rolls down over the shorter green one.

I've got a guess about the changes while spinning in the silk...It's not a matter of getting the clothes off that's difficult..it's a matter of where they go.

I think she's giving him the clothes...there's a video of them doing this routine, and he's in a slightly different outfit here:
http://www.slate.com/id/2138613/?nav=navoa

Watch both videos closely, and as he spins around her, there is a gap where they are together..he runs with his free arm hanging akwardly down by his side palm slightly cupped and facing backward..i think that's to reach back and get the dress from her as soon as they're hidden from sight. In the Slate video, the motion makes his cape/tails (whatever's hanging back from his suit) swing tellingly.

The confetti one isn't such a big deal, either...she's completely hidden, and just before he does it, you can see her take firm hold of her dress near the bosom, and yank downward as the confetti falls..her hands are at her side by the time the cascade is done, having pulled off and dropped the dress. She kicks her feet a bit..probably to make sure the dress is off her ankles and covered and out of sight.

for $80.00 ish you can get a book that details some of the tech and props behind rapid costume changes, which has been a staple of magic acts since the late 1800's I think..

http://www.williamsmagic.com/index.php? ... s_id=16741
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Wanderer wrote:Since the thread I responded to got deleted for something unrelated to my post, I looked this one up to respond here..

I have some theories..when she first came out, I immediately thought she looked bulky, like she was wearing multiple layers, with the clothes gimmicked for fast changes.

I think she's blonde and is wearing a black wig at first.
First change: Pull off dress while hidden, no big deal.
Second change: same thing...each suit gets progressively smaller.
Third change into green outfit: same thing, wile removing wig...her hair looks like real hair now. She doesn't actually put on the green dress on the hangar. She just leaves that behind in the curtain.

The fourth change is difficult..it requires some props. This is where she goes from the small green outfit to the bigger blue outfit. If you go through it very slwoly, though, you can see her belly looks a little padded in the green outfit, and while she's walking with the hoop, the blue outfit rolls down.

It covers the green outfit, and it happns right after he gives her the hoop..you can see him pull her top off from the back, because it wasn't well concealed, and I believe the blue top was was under the green top. and the dress/skirt portion was layered under the top as well, making that "belly padding" I noted. So when he yanks the top off (it stays connected to the back of the hoop), the skirt rolls down over the shorter green one.

I've got a guess about the changes while spinning in the silk...It's not a matter of getting the clothes off that's difficult..it's a matter of where they go.

I think she's giving him the clothes...there's a video of them doing this routine, and he's in a slightly different outfit here:
http://www.slate.com/id/2138613/?nav=navoa

Watch both videos closely, and as he spins around her, there is a gap where they are together..he runs with his free arm hanging akwardly down by his side palm slightly cupped and facing backward..i think that's to reach back and get the dress from her as soon as they're hidden from sight. In the Slate video, the motion makes his cape/tails (whatever's hanging back from his suit) swing tellingly.

The confetti one isn't such a big deal, either...she's completely hidden, and just before he does it, you can see her take firm hold of her dress near the bosom, and yank downward as the confetti falls..her hands are at her side by the time the cascade is done, having pulled off and dropped the dress. She kicks her feet a bit..probably to make sure the dress is off her ankles and covered and out of sight.

for $80.00 ish you can get a book that details some of the tech and props behind rapid costume changes, which has been a staple of magic acts since the late 1800's I think..

http://www.williamsmagic.com/index.php? ... s_id=16741
It that the book you used to help you pull a fast one with your AVATAR?

Ha HA! We're on to you.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Cynth wrote:I can't play anything at Youtube anymore. I have downloaded the Flash player, it seems like Java this and that is enabled. Other websites tell me I need the newer flash player, but when I go to the Adobe website I see the little movie thing I'm supposed to see.
cynth, you must use internet explorer to download the flashplayer, not mozilla or firefox.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Flyingcursor wrote:
It that the book you used to help you pull a fast one with your AVATAR?

Ha HA! We're on to you.
Believe me, it takes longer than a second for me to get into ren-faire garb..the boots alone are like 5-6 minutes.

The only magic there is that I'm able to manage it quickly while hung over ;)
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

More than you want to know about Quick Change Magicians

There's a paragraph about David and Dania at the bottom. Note that David has a patent on quick-change devices.

Here's David and Dania's website. More videos on this site. They also do NBA halftime shows, which is much more challenging to a magician than a stage show because the illusion has to work from all directions.

And for three hundred bucks, you can get you own quick change waistcoat.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Flyingcursor wrote:It that the book you used to help you pull a fast one with your AVATAR?

Ha HA! We're on to you.
I especially like that nice blue bow next to your right ear. Very festive!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Thanks for the answers. I logically figured it had to be something like this, but knowing the details is fascinating and knowing how the routine was done in no way interferes with my appreciation of the showmanship involved in carrying it off so beautifully.
Got wood?
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Thanks for explaining how. I had thought something like that must be the case. Anyway, no matter how, it is impressive to watch. I'd be tangled in my unmentionables before I got through! :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

anniemcu wrote:Thanks for explaining how. I had thought something like that must be the case. Anyway, no matter how, it is impressive to watch. I'd be tangled in my unmentionables before I got through! :lol:
With my luck, at the final costume change I'd pull the wrong thing and my unmentionables would come OFF! :D
Got wood?