Ciilian OBrien improved whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DaveG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DaveG »

Could owners of this whistle share their likes and dislikes? thanx in advance...
"Do not fear;Zion,let not your hands be weak;
The Lord your God in your midst;
The Mighty One,will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you in His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

This whislte kicks SERIOUS butt!!! I'm honestly supprised more folks don't own one already!

It's got the best tone of any whistle I own hands down, and is a breeze to play. Very low breath, but a decent tone to boot. Not too humble, but not at all loud and screechy. In a session of three to six people, it'll stand out on it's own just fine.

You do have to work on breath control a bit or you may be prone to the occasional squeak, but otherwise, it's wonderfull. I own a brass w/ green head D and have played a brass w/ red top, as well as nickel w/ black top varieties. All seemed remarkably well made, and consistent.

B~
eskin

Post by eskin »

I have a recording of one up on my Flute and Whistles comparison page.

Go to:

http://www.michaeleskin.com

Click on the Irish Music link, then on the Flute and Whistle comparisons link.

Mine is the brass with the red top. Not tried one of the new nickel ones. For those who have both, how do they compare?

Cheers,

Michael

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eskin on 2002-06-01 13:48 ]</font>
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

It's all about breath control with this whistle. Very soft blowing. Takes discipline. If you get too excited and try to boost the volume, forget it; you squeak. It took me awhile to develop the control to not blow too hard and so, it was awhile before I decided I liked it. I'd squeak the 2nd octave D a lot.

The tone is very pure. Basically Generation sounding w/ basically no chiff. I wouldn't mind if it had just a bit. In a big session, I think the sound would disappear. It looks like a toy to me- mine's brass w/ red fipple. I have something posted on Clips with it. Don't remember what.

I wouldn't own this whistle as my only or first whistle, but overall, it's worth owning.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I pretty much agree with other owners esp Tony. I almost returned this whistle because it took getting used to in terms of the breath control and slimness of the whistle. However, I did get used to it and it really is a lovely sounding whistle that I now find a pleasure to play. Philo
Mick Woodruff

Post by Mick Woodruff »

I think that Brian and Tony have it covered. I own the brass/green mouthpiece variety and in my opinion, this is a superb little whistle. It is a breeze to play, with a gorgeous, pure, yet traditional-sounding tone. It plays easily into the third octave and still sounds good! Low breath requirements and very responsive. If only more whistles were like this!<P>Whistle players with several instruments will probably gravitate toward certain ones and find themselves playing one or two of their whistles much more often than they do the other ones. When one whistle is frequently picked out of a collection and played by preference it is likely to be a good whistle. I can report that I find myself playing my O'Briain very often indeed...say no more.<P>Mick
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

The proof's in the pudding. I just posted a tune to Clips with mine. See for yourself.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Thanx everyone...I just placed the order.BTW,lovely Tony..
"Do not fear;Zion,let not your hands be weak;
The Lord your God in your midst;
The Mighty One,will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you in His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

Groan -- just what I needed -- another whistle to add to my wants list!

TK
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

So, where does one find one of these gems? Sounds like one I might like.

Redwolf
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Buy the C O'B and a better Susato [for louder sessions] and it's probably all you'll ever need....less than £50 [=$80 ?]

....you can then spend the rest of your money buying drinks, CD's or lessons....or trips to Willie Week etc....and you won't need to spend hundreds on expensive instruments !!!

Boyd
http://www.strathspeyinmay.com
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

On 2002-06-02 03:35, Redwolf wrote:
So, where does one find one of these gems? Sounds like one I might like.
You can buy them directly from Cillian O'Briain or at a few stores in Ireland: Dublin, Cork, Adare etc.

You can buy them via the web (exclusively, I think) at Shanna Quay.

Steve
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Question for Steve, or any one who owns one of these whistles: Is the brass body coated with anything? Much as I like the look of a well worn brass whistle, I have an aversion the the smell that naked brass leaves on my fingers =:^

I'm also wondering, how the tone of the brass bodied whistle differs from that of it's nickel bodied sibling?

Thanks,

Loren
24BRIX

Post by 24BRIX »

Loren,
I'm not sure if the brass has any coating but I can smell brass on my fingers after playing. It doesn't bother me and the smell isn't as strong as I get from playing my NB brass Hoover.

To those considering this whistle: I agree with what has been said in the previous posts. This is one of my most played whistles. I highly recommend it. Buy it from Shanna Quay. The customer service is great. :smile:
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

On 2002-06-02 09:21, Loren wrote:
Question for Steve, or any one who owns one of these whistles: Is the brass body coated with anything?
Loren
Hi Loren

As to the coationg, it's the same as on the brass Feadóg (should you have one of those whistles). I'll ring Keynote, who will know as much about the coating as Cillian - although I'll be speaking to him next week, too. I'll get back to you. As to the sound, it might be better if a less biased person answered that question - but generally, it will be roughly similar to the difference between brass and nickel Feadógs or Genny's (only with the O'Briain additions). Oh, I think I answered it, anyway!

Best wishes,

Steve