Top Whistle CD?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Top Whistle CD?

Post by Jack »

If you could reccomend just one whistle CD for a person relatively new to whistle to listen to, which would it be and why?

(I'm buying it as a gift for somebody who isn't too familiar with whistle.)
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

That depends, do you want them to stick with it, or immediately quit?

Loren
Jack

Post by Jack »

Loren wrote:That depends, do you want them to stick with it, or immediately quit?

Loren
Well, she was wanting something "good." I was going to just get her Mary Bergin's Feadoga Stain CD but I thought I'd ask here first because I myself only own about 5 whistle CDs and there might be a much better one than Mary's that I'm not aware of.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hmm, if it were me, I'd go with something like Laurence Nugent's Two For Two. Or, maybe something old school trad, stuff played at a slower pace, in a more Rustic style, like Josie McDermott - Darby's Farewell. Both with some flute on there to give a break from the Soprano whistle. Personally, I can't tolerate and entire CD full of soprano whistle playing very often, and I actually like whistles. Mary Bergin is a bit much from the gitgo.

Higgin's will be weighing in with his favorite Chieftian's CD's any second, so I leave that to him.

If you want to go to the other end of the spectrum, something all whistle that no newbie is likely to reject (unless they are already trad fans), you can go with a Cormac Breatnach CD - either Musical Journey or Music for Whistle & Guitar. Sort of ease them into the world of whistle music - as "Full Trad Immersion Therapy" can be quite a shock to first timers' systems, don't want to have to fire up the crash cart halfway into listening to their first CD.......

Loren
Last edited by Loren on Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Cranberry wrote: I was going to just get her Mary Bergin's Feadoga Stain CD but I thought I'd ask here first because I myself only own about 5 whistle CDs and there might be a much better one than Mary's that I'm not aware of.
That's my favorite. It's a classic that can't miss. If she doesn't like that, there's no point in looking further!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Joanie Madden has two solo albums available. Their titles elude me, but something like "Song of the Irish Whistle 1 + 2 " comes to mind. It is good material, and might be a bit more approachable by a person new to whistledom than Mary Bergin's offerings.

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Henke

Post by Henke »

I'd go for the first cd made by Gavin Whelan (the cd's just called Gavin Whelan) if you can find that one. I'm not sure how hard it is to find, I bought it from Gavin himself at a gig.
The sound is really nice and clean, it's very easy to listen to, not too much fancy stuff, just nice and clean whistle playing with tasteful ornamentation and everything.

A whistle connaisseur would probably prefer Mary Bergin, but somehow I feel that Gavin Whelan is more accessible. Not sure I can explain it, he has a very clean way of playing.

Found a link to the album with soundclips
http://www.gavinwhelan.ie/gwcd.htm
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I would recommend <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000IQNO">Whistle Stop</A> by Brian Hughes, which is in my opinion a very good and highly underrated CD.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Mary Bergin, Lawrence Nugent, Brian Hughes and Gavin Whelan are a wee bit too hard-core to me. I have a problem listening to them in anything but small doses when I am not practicing along. Like listening to an album of bass fiddle solos.

If I were to get someone who is not familiar with the whistle a CD hiliting the whistle with an ITM theme, I would probably opt for Joannie Madden, her first CD.
If the person has eclectic tastes, I would consider kwela or some of Tony Hinnigans work.

You can always go with the Waltons CD and pocket a free whistle for yourself.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
kenny

Post by kenny »

Another vote for "Feadog Stain" - Mary Bergin.
Brian Hughes is great too, and so is "The Boys Of Bluehill" by Vinnie Kilduff.
I'd recommend the first "Deiseal" CD if you want something less traditional, but it's almost imposible to find these days.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Depends on what style music she likes to listen to, Cran -- or what style you want to introduce her to. ITM or just whistle music of any sort?

My vote for a first intro to whistle would be Joanie Madden's "Song of the Irish Whistle", 1 or 2. Another readily accessible choice is "Celtic Whispers" by Will Millar, available at Wal-Mart. If I had been given Mary Bergin's "Feadoga Stain" as the primo example of whistle playing, I wouldn't have bought my first whistle at all -- no hopes of ever playing like that!

Another place you could find some great (& free) music for her listen to is Mick Woodruff's site, and look for his & Gary Humphrey's version of "Hector the Hero" -- very nice! :)

Judy
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I would go for Joannie Madden, Song of the Irish Whistle or Song of the Irish Whistle 2. It is beautiful whistle and readily available. My local Borders has them in stock. But it depends on what kind of music she would like.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Higgin's will be weighing in with his favorite Chieftian's CD's any second, so I leave that to him.
Not necessarily. You may think you know me.

Anyway, Chieftains5.

I hardly listened to Mary Bergin's cd when I first got it. I appreciate it more as I learn more, myself. I'm partial to Laurence Nugent and my favorite is Windy Gap. There's some great whistle playing (not on every track) on Planxty's Cold Blow and the Rainy Night. But it's not a 'whistle' cd.

Sarah Bauhan has a nice cd of mostly whistle playing. Not as trad, a lot of her own compositions. Mainly 'celtic' sounding. It's called Untamed Grasses.

But, I'd go with Chieftains5.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Don't forget Brid O'Donohue. Fabulous player and a right nice person to boot. She put out her first album last year. http://www.bridodonohue.com/
Last edited by ErikT on Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

Another vote for Joanie Madden's Song of the Irish Whistle. Her rendition of "Down By The Salley Gardens" still thrills me.

It sounds so simple and straightforward, but just try to achieve that same gorgeous tone and exquisite phrasing. When I first heard her version about five years ago, I thought: this is the definitive version of the song.

Five years later ... my opinion hasn't changed.

Walt