Clarke Sweetone or Feàdog ?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Antoine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Clarke Sweetone or Feàdog ?

Post by Antoine »

Hi !

I've just bought a Clarke Sweetone from sheetmusicplus.com and I should recieve it between 3-4 weeks...

I'm very impatient to recieve it... So I went to a music store this afternoon and I saw a nice 10$ Fead
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Clarke Sweetone or Feàdog ?

Post by Redwolf »

[quote="Antoine"]Hi !

I've just bought a Clarke Sweetone from sheetmusicplus.com and I should recieve it between 3-4 weeks...

I'm very impatient to recieve it... So I went to a music store this afternoon and I saw a nice 10$ Fead
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Yeah, not a bad idea...

What type is the perfect one for a beginner ? It depends of the comfort of the player ?

Thanks
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Buy both. I don't think there is anyone that has one whistle.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I have a friend who is an oboe player who owns an Oak, That's it. He only owns it because he needed it for a church performance. He's happy with just the one. It's untweaked. If only life were that simple.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
azw

Post by azw »

When you get two whistles, stash one in the car for practicing at long stop lights. Later, when your whistles they start acting like rabbits, you can stash them all around the home for a spontaneous toot.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

azw wrote:When you get two whistles, stash one in the car for practicing at long stop lights. Later, when your whistles they start acting like rabbits, you can stash them all around the home for a spontaneous toot.
You've been to my house, haven't you? :boggle: :D
azw

Post by azw »

Redwolf, judging from what I've overheard my "rabbits" talking about, one of yours has been sneaking over to my place!
KATaylor5

Post by KATaylor5 »

I have a tweaked clarke sweetone and an untweaked feadog.

I don't like my feadog at all. it's extremely sharp and i haven't managed to get the mouthpiece off.

I like the sound of the sweetone better.

I'm gonna ship my feadog off to Karina so she can donate it to her missionary in Guatemala...she is taking whistle donations for underpriveldged village folk.

my clarke sweetone in C will be making the journey to guatemala as well.
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

So I should buy the Feadog ? For 10 little dollars, I think I can do it :P ..
KATaylor5 wrote:I don't like my feadog at all. it's extremely sharp and i haven't managed to get the mouthpiece off.
So, you don't recommand it ? What about the sound of it ?
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Just buy it. It won't bite.
Some beginners find the Feadog more challenging in the upper
register, but it's a good idea to learn good breath control early.
KATaylor5

Post by KATaylor5 »

well, the sweetone and feadog aren't very expensive so you can get both, try them out for yourself.

I've heard some nice sound clips with the feadog. Perhaps if I had it tweaked it would sound better.

I just have other whistles I like better and I can tell I won't use my feadog. I like my Jerry Freeman tweaked Mellow Dog...It's a cross between a Walton Mellow D with a feadog mouthpiece. It's quiet but nice sound and in tune for a lower end whistle. I like my clarke original D and tweaked Sweetone D for practicing. I just got a used susato D; not a big fan of the sound quite yet but the louder volume will be nice for church band. I have a tweaked shaw D that's on backorder.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

It all comes down to what you like, really (unless there are quality issues, which sometimes does happen with these lower end whistles). Some like the sound of a conical bore whistle, while some prefer cylindrical. I've never been able to get into the Clarkes at all (the SweeTone is OK, but uninspiring. The original is, from my point of view, unpleasantly raspy to the point of being unplayable). Other people adore them. The only way to know for sure which you like is to play both...and it's worth keeping both around for quite a while, because one you don't initially like much may improve as your playing improves. One of the nice things about whistles is the price makes it possible to do this.

Redwolf
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Sweetones are ok whistles and are easy and forgiving to learn on.

Feadogs can be excellent whistles in the hands of someone who really knows how to play them.

Feadogs require breath control in a way that the Sweetones don't.

The whole secret to making a Feadog sound good is to blow softly and with control.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Everybody has different tastes. Neither whistle is bad.

Get them both if you can afford it. play them both. Learn about the differences between whistles.

If you get into it, you'll probably be wanting something a little better someday anyway.

After you have the "better" whistle for a while, you'll find you will pick up the Sweetone and the Feadog on occasion, and play one of the silly simple tunes you began this adventure with.

Have fun,
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.