a little help with a Meyer Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

a little help with a Meyer Flute

Post by Flogging Jason »

I took the high bid on this flute and even though the reserve was not met the seller is gonna sell it to me still. What is this flute really worth and how much (roundabout) would a basic overhaul cost me? Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Thanks!
Jack Bradshaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

:lol: :lol:

Well, you certainly still got a good deal Jason.....put some superglue on the cracks and tape down the keys, set the slide w/ a tuner and have a ball !

It's probably cheaper to buy another keyed flute strictly for ITM, but you never know.......you'll have to get someone like Loren or Jon C. to actually take a look at it if you want it restored as an antique ....
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Sweet deal! It's likely a far better flute than my Eatons Catalogue German Specials, and they're a lot of fun.

Looks like, even after paying a pro to do a good basic restoration, you'll come out ahead. Or you could go with the duct-tape and bailing-wire method and just have fun.

Some advice from my very limited experience: enjoy the flute for what it is. The high end will likely be quite sweet, and the bottom notes may be delicate. I drove myself nuts trying to get a good honk out of the D on german flutes, but it was no problem on my first english flute. Then again, the german flutes are great for light, rippling runs and arpeggios. I'll flog a couple of mine eventually, but I'll always keep one around.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

What does a restoration/overhaul cost? I would just like to know what I'm stepping in here. Can you suggest someone to do the work?
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Restoration is really variable. Might be a couple hundred, might me lots more. Jon Cornia (Jon C on the board) did a nice restoration on a flute I play regularly, but my frame of reference is limited. Loren, Terry McGee, and David Migoya are pros, and they're also on the board.

Repadding is cheap at your local band-instrument repair shop, but cracks are another matter. Some band guys might be willing to have a go, if you're willing to take the risk; I wouldn't.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Nach Meyer with a B foot. I have one such with a total of 13 keys. Weighs a ton. The ivory head on the eBay item looks cool; haven't seen that before.

Part of the key here is the word "Nach", which means "in the style of". I understand it's easier to find a Nach Meyer than an actual Meyer, they should not be priced beyond a few hundred $ at the very most, and you pays yer money and you takes yer chances. I understand some can be quite good. Mine hangs on the wall as an ornament. 'Nuff said.

Perhaps someone can weigh in on actual Meyer flutes as opposed to Nach Meyers. I don't know enough to expound.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Hey, I'll give you 50 bucks for it.

I'll even pay to ship it out here.

Its a win win for you really.

:D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

matter of fact...I'm paying a total of 120 bucks for it. That was the actual reserve price with shipping. Yes I'm taking my chances on the playability factor but with a professional restoration it will be worth a little more than what I put into it. I'm still looking for a price range on restoration, I want to have the seller ship it directly to a workshop.