Sweetheart Pro D Questions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Grouchicarpo

Sweetheart Pro D Questions

Post by Grouchicarpo »

Yes, yes, another newbie post. :D Having worked with an Oak D whistle for a number of years, I decided to "upgrade" to something a little more professional. After reading reviews and shopping around, I decided on a Sweetheart Pro D, which arrived a few days ago.

One of the aspects that sold me on this model was the praise others give to the ease of control of the upper notes. So I was surprised, upon working with this new one, that the 2nd octave seem to be difficult to sustain, requiring even more breath than the same notes on the Oak.

So my questions are 1) is this a by-product of my semi-novice nature, 2) am I being too impatient (probably), or 3) could something physical be wrong with the whistle? I've checked it over and don't believe the whistle is damaged in any way.

If I had to peg my skill level, I'd say I'm a few steps above Novice and a few steps below Intermediate. So before the pointing and giggling at the newbie begins, I do understand that the upper notes require more force. However, even the 3rd octave notes on the Oak don't require the breath I'm having to use for the 2nd octave on the Sweetheart.

Thanks for any input.

Grouchicarpo
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Give it a couple more days and see if you get used to it. If it is still giving you trouble send it back to the Sweets and they will fix any problems it may have.

My Sweet Pro takes a bit more air in the upper octave than most cheapies, but no where near as much as some other whistles I have tried.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

The Sweethart Pro I reviewed a while back took a little agression in the second octave. Not a lot, mind you--i've played whistles that have taken a lot more, but more than any inexpensive-style whistle I've owned.

I'd say keep at it a while...your newish status probably has some effect on your breath control currently.
slowair

Post by slowair »

The Seetheart Pros that I've tried have been excellently balanced and pretty easy to sustain notes in the second octave.
You may need to spend more time with it. If after a reasonable amout of time you decide you don't like it, send it back to see if there is anything wrong. These things can happen, but the Sweets have this pretty much down to a science by now. It just may not be what you are looking for in a whistle. No one's fault. The good news is that the whisltle pretty much holds it's value and you can always sell it for close to what you paid for it.
Good luck and patience.
Mike Reagan
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Oaks are one of the easiest playing whistles (even among the cheap ones) in the 2nd ocatave, so just about any other whistle would seem a little tougher on the high notes compared to an Oak. You'll probably get used to it after a few days...

-Brett
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I agree with all of the above. I went from a Gen to the Pro D, and it took a week or so to feel very comfortable with it. It may be that the volume is keeping you from pushing on it, but you just need to understand that it's not a quiet whistle. It's a great one, though, and you'll love it once you get accustomed to it.

While we're on the subject, has anyone tried the C yet?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Stormowl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Stormowl »

LOL...don't know if I can honestly speak on this yet...my wife is still holding my Sweetheart Pro D hostage until my birthday (this Thursday!)!!!

But...I've been playing my Gen D, and occasionally borrowing my friend's Pro D. And I've got the same issue...on both whistles. While he's had no issues on either. Which makes it clear to me in MY case that it's a case of "newby-itis".

I'm just not generating enough wind once I hit the upper second register (around B or so).

Work on breathing from your diaphram (SP?), not your chest. It'll help you balance out your wind evenly and get a more even tone throughout the range of the whistle.

I know...pot calling the kettle! :) Just do as I say (or as I'm TRYING to do!), not as I do. And hang in there...you'll get the hang of it friend. I'm sure I will...just got to do the work to get there.
Whitmores75087
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Try plugging your ears when you play. You'll be less hesitant to give it the puff it needs. Also, playing into an electronic tuner will tell you how much puff is required to get the note into tune.
Edit: Tune the note A at 440 hertz. Don't try tuning the D or the whole whistle will be out. The D on this whistle is very flat. I've had two (first one stolen) and both were this way.
Short bio: 1952-
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

If you're not doing it already, try a tad of tongueing on the upper register. Sometimes this extra oomph is all you need to get the notes to speak.
These Sweet Pro whistles are really first rate, and I think you'll adapt to it in time: give it a couple of weeks before you make a final decision.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
carrie

Post by carrie »

Welcome to the board! But--you don't like Beppo, or what?

Well, in either case, we are glad to have you here.

Carol
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Ditto above.

Most higher end whistles take more gas than the basic plastic fipple metal tube models.

You either need to push more air due to open windways, like the Sweetheart. Or you need to provide good support to push into high backpressure, like the Overtons.

Take a nice 15 minute walk and breathe deeply, then go play. For a little while, stand when you play and use your diaphragm to support the breath requirement.

And don't be afraid of volume, you're not a novice any more (or at least keep telling yourself so). :)

Have fun,
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Blackout_Entertainment

Post by Blackout_Entertainment »

Wanderer wrote:The Sweethart Pro I reviewed a while back took a little agression in the second octave. Not a lot, mind you--i've played whistles that have taken a lot more, but more than any inexpensive-style whistle I've owned.

I'd say keep at it a while...your newish status probably has some effect on your breath control currently.
See, as someone learning to play the fife as well, I appreciate this aggression. Ralph, near as I can tell, primarily makes flutes, and I honestly believe his whistles have a lot of hold over qualities from the flutes he makes. The point is, yes, the upper octaves of the sweetheart take a bit more to reach, and are a tad more sensative--as a newer player, this is a great teacher for breath control. Flutes are a LOT more sensative, so having a whistle thats even a little bit like that helps keep me from being lazy. =)
Grouchicarpo

Post by Grouchicarpo »

Thanks to one and all for the info and advice, as well as the welcoming. :D

Grouchicarpo