Attention South/Southeast US Chiffers...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Attention South/Southeast US Chiffers...

Post by scottielvr »

Well, you know...Dale's post about gatherings got me thinking (I'm trying not to pull a muscle).

I'm thinking about thinking about (that's not a typo) possibly trying to organize a south/southeast Chiffers gathering. This is a very, very preliminary request, or feasibility study, if you will; due to circumstances beyond my control--as well as the fact that we're getting near the end of the summer already--I'd be looking at dates for summer, or maybe even fall, of next year.

But it occurs to me that the Asheville area, which can be reached fairly easily via I-40 and I-26, might not be so badly situated for folks to travel to from the southern states, (GA, AL, SC, TN, WV, VA, KY), the rest of NC of course, the mid-Atlantic...(attn. Emm)...and heck! Even Florida. There are a number of very charming spots that could be possible sites...park settings, in particular, though I'll not do any more active brain work on that, or on accomodations, until I get a sense of the level of interest.

Edited to add: If you are interested, kindly also mention if there is any particular month -- let's say, from July through October--that you would prefer. That way we can get a sense of the best timing for this thing.

What say you? Over to y'all. :wink:
Last edited by scottielvr on Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

YAY! I'm in SC and desperately want to go to one of these.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Jack

Post by Jack »

I've recently rerealized (also not a typo) that I'm much too sick to travel.

So I can't take part, but I will appreciate it when you post pictures for everybody to see.
Dale
The Landlord

Re: Attention South/Southeast US Chiffers...

Post by Dale »

scottielvr wrote:Well, you know...Dale's post about gatherings got me thinking (I'm trying not to pull a muscle).

I'm thinking about thinking about (that's not a typo) possibly trying to organize a south/southeast Chiffers gathering. This is a very, very preliminary request, or feasibility study, if you will; due to circumstances beyond my control--as well as the fact that we're getting near the end of the summer already--I'd be looking at dates for summer, or maybe even fall, of next year.

But it occurs to me that the Asheville area, which can be reached fairly easily via I-40 and I-26, might not be so badly situated for folks to travel to from the southern states, (GA, AL, SC, TN, WV, VA, KY), the rest of NC of course, the mid-Atlantic...(attn. Emm)...and heck! Even Florida. There are a number of very charming spots that could be possible sites...park settings, in particular, though I'll not do any more active brain work on that, or on accomodations, until I get a sense of the level of interest.

What say you? Over to y'all. :wink:
I'd be very interested.

Dale
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I could probably make it east to like louisiana or mississipi pretty easily if I had enough notice.

I've always felt a bit left out with all of the yankees having gatherings and the like, and none really happening in my area :(
Jack

Post by Jack »

scottielvr wrote:Edited to add: If you are interested, kindly also mention if there is any particular month -- let's say, from July through October--that you would prefer. That way we can get a sense of the best timing for this thing.
Psst...August is already here, so I don't think it'll be in July. :lol:

I can't ride in a car for very long distances anymore without a lot of pain due to my disease, but if the gathering were to be held in Kentucky or Tennessee the best month for me would be August. August is after summer semester ends and before fall semester begins for me.

However, from a more strategically reasonable (instead of personal) standpoint, I really don't think either Kentucky or Tennessee would be good locations because they're out of the way for most people in our region. I think the best place to have the gathering would be Dale's house, in the room(s) where he stores his whistles. ;)
Wanderer wrote:I could probably make it east to like louisiana or mississipi pretty easily if I had enough notice.

I've always felt a bit left out with all of the yankees having gatherings and the like, and none really happening in my area :(
I thought you went to the one in Oklahoma? :-?
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Cranberry wrote:Psst...August is already here, so I don't think it'll be in July.
Ahem. Please read my initial post again...with particular attention to the second paragraph: the part about "next year." :wink:
I think the best place to have the gathering would be Dale's house. ;)
No doubt. But Asheville would be the second best place. And there's nothing like a little road trip away from the hurricane zone to lift the spirits.

:wink:
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Wanderer wrote:I could probably make it east to like louisiana or mississipi pretty easily if I had enough notice.
So with a year's notice, you could push on a little further... or perhaps we can enlist DaleForceOne to run a shuttle service. :wink:
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Cranberry wrote:

I thought you went to the one in Oklahoma? :-?
That doesn't happen for a couple weeks...remind me not to let you manage my day planner :D

It'll be the first gathering like that I've been to, and a few people have expressed doubt as to whether or not they'd make it. I was talking more about the yearly-type gatherings I see posted here a lot. I've been on Chiff for probably 7 or 8 years now and I've only met like 3 or 4 chiffers. I just think it'd be nice to meet more :)
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

scottielvr wrote:
So with a year's notice, you could push on a little further... or perhaps we can enlist DaleForceOne to run a shuttle service. :wink:
Well, Asheville's a 14 hour drive, whereas Mississipi's only a 6 hour drive. If I were to make Asheville, it'd be a plane flight, for sure. That makes it dependent on if I'm in my feast or famine cycle of econimics at the time ;)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I second the notion of Dale's place. :D
emmline

Post by emmline »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I second the notion of Dale's place. :D
But if that doesn't work out and it goes to Asheville, I'm pretty sure the Biltmore Estate would be willing to work with us. I'll have tea on the porch please.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

emmline wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:I second the notion of Dale's place. :D
But if that doesn't work out and it goes to Asheville, I'm pretty sure the Biltmore Estate would be willing to work with us. I'll have tea on the porch please.
Ooooh, ooooh, tea on the porch for me too, with a little Jamie to go with it. Do you suppose they have Butter Pies as well?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Look, people: until you call it a veranda (or lanai, depending), you can despair of tea anywhere but the kitchen.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

JES wrote:Do you suppose they have Butter Pies as well?
Admiral Halsey notified me
He had to have a berth
Or he couldn't get to sea.
I had another look and I
Had a cup of tea
And a butter pie ....

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.