Cold Stone Creamery

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Cold Stone Creamery

Post by Lambchop »

OK. I went there. Never been there before.

I thought it was kind of nice. Upscale, for ice cream. Tasty product, pleasant decor. Etc.

The key word here being "upscale."

So, here's my question: If you've been to one of these places, were there incredibly perky employees -- clearly high school -- who would, in the smack dab middle of preparing orders, scream . . . in unison . . . "HI! WELCOME TO COLD STONE!" ?

And did they, also in the smack dab middle of preparing other people's orders, stop everything to . . . do sports-style cheers? With the words "Cold Stone" inserted everywhere there should be, say, "Toledo High?" At the top of their lungs?

I mean, seriously, they cheered. Had there been one more of them, I'm sure they would have made a human pyramid. They jumped -- still holding onto those paddles they use to scoop the ice cream around -- and danced behind the counter.

Frankly, I thought it unsafe. What if they slipped on that wet floor? Not to mention unnerving. Who would have thought such a nice place came with . . . clamor.

Even the "perky" bit was pushing it, I thought, but sheesh! the cheers! Gack!

One middle-aged man's wife snatched up her ice cream and bolted for the tables outside, but . . . I swear . . . he came back to watch another cheer, and the young ladies indulged him with two.

Is this normal? Do they do this at all of these places?
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Yes. Company policy or some such. It's quite amusing to watch the effect of said policy on holidaying Englishmen.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

avanutria wrote:Yes. Company policy or some such. It's quite amusing to watch the effect of said policy on holidaying Englishmen.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can well imagine, I mean, most of the English I have spoken with are convinced (and rightly so, might I add) that we Yanks are looney enough as it is. :lol:
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Fascinating. I had thought of posting on this very subject yesterday.

I think this whole Benihana style of ice cream place is ridiculous to begin with. It takes much longer to prepare a simple waffle cone which means more workers thus more overhead. Their feeble attempts at trendiness provide nothing more than a novelty and higher prices. Within 15 miles of my abode there are two such "cremery" establishments yet not a single regular ice cream shoppe.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Sometimes they sing as well, which is rather scary. If they're going to do that, they should require an audition before hiring!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I can see how it might be a funky experience when one is stoned cold, and as a result of an overwhelming munchies fit, stumbles into such a place. What a trip. Spooky even to think about. :lol:
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

That's really odd..
I've never noticed that kind of behavior at Cold Stone before. Maybe they do it differently here.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
avanutria wrote:Yes. Company policy or some such. It's quite amusing to watch the effect of said policy on holidaying Englishmen.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can well imagine, I mean, most of the English I have spoken with are convinced (and rightly so, might I add) that we Yanks are looney enough as it is. :lol:
I was already in culture shock from the vast range of odd choices of flavours and toppings, and they hit me with the cabaret when I was at low ebb. I had to got outside into the quiet cool evening to recover. I quite enjoyed my kipper and gorgonzola/grape jelly and bacon sprinkes ice cream though.

Being English, I'm usually happy with the choice of vanilla or vanilla with a flake bar stuck in it.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
emmline

Post by emmline »

This is nothing compared to the experience of attending a child's birthday party at Chuck E Cheese. Fortunately, as my kids are close to grown, I haven't had to endure it for a good long while, but there's nothing like the close-to-losing-her-perk girl attempting to lead the Chuck E Cheese birthday cheer:

Girl: We say Happy, you say Birthday!
Girl: Happy!

Dazed parents: birthday
Girl: Happy!
Dazed parents: birthday
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Tyler Morris wrote:That's really odd..
I've never noticed that kind of behavior at Cold Stone before. Maybe they do it differently here.
Hmmm... I've never seen any antics like that here either, Tyler. We're so much more sedate about our ice cream here in SLC.

Susan
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

WELCOME TO CICI'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M :party:
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

emmline- sure you were't out here at our Chucky Cheese :lol:

As to the Cold Stone cheer thing, it appears they'll do that if put a tip in the jar. As to the other observation about singing talents, maybe we need Simon to show up for an ice cream.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

And what is with those “Japanese” places flipping spatulas and moving your food around that grill in some restaurants? I don't care if my onion can be made into a volcano, or if you can juggle my egg on a spatula, serve my food!
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

This behavior has become an annoying trend around here. The first
time I encountered it was when a new assembly-line oversize-burrito
restaurant called "Moe's" opened up. Since I've now been to several
area Moe's, I can tell you that it is definitely company policy for every
employee to yell "Welcome to Moe's!" whenever anyone comes in.
The first time I entered a Moe's, this was amusing. After a few repeat
visits, the shine was off that apple. A year later, you could tell the
employees loathed this policy. There was no enthusiasm in their
welcome anymore... they sounded as if they would have preferred
that you had never come in. I think that's the problem that this sort of
behavior will always eventually have. I started yelling out "Welcome
to Moe's" while standing in line to see if they would echo it, even if
no one had entered. They would. Thanks, Pavlov.

Now other restaurant owners have been trying out this scheme. I
want to wring their collective necks. I almost walked out of my
favorite sandwich shop, when I heard an unenthusiastic chorus of
"Welcome to Firehouse"
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Flyingcursor wrote:Within 15 miles of my abode there are two such "cremery" establishments yet not a single regular ice cream shoppe.
What do you consider a "regular" ice cream shop?

There was a famous Raleigh, NC landmark called Doug's that was doing
the "mix homemade ice cream with a topping on a cold, marble slab"
thing for decades. Many NCSU alumni consider that a normal, full-service
ice cream shop, and think of Dairy Queen or Baskin Robins to be the
"fast food" of ice cream.