Good Strings for Trinity OM

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
frchristo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Good Strings for Trinity OM

Post by frchristo »

I recently acquired a Trinity College octave mandolin. I upgraded the tail piece (thanks Loren!) which made a huge difference. The strings that it came with seem a little light for such a short scale and I'd like to change them.

Does anyone have any recommendations for brand and/or gauge? Actually gauge is more important to me at the moment. How about octave tuning on a short scale OM? Does anyone do that?

I'm a flute player who's become obsessed with mando over the past year so, I’m fairly new to all this.

Also, would it be a good idea to change the bridge? Any recommendations for a good bridge for a flat top OM? I wouldn’t attempt it myself.

Thanks

Christopher
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

It figures that YOU would have a Trinity :D

I just got one in trade and like it a lot. It came with a couple of sets of D'Addario J80 strings : .012, .022, .032 and .046 and they sound fine to me. Harder to finger than my regular mando though.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
frchristo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by frchristo »

Very funny! :lol:

Maybe they will start a line of headstock inlays covering all the major religions. In the mean time, I'm sending them of photo of me in my cassock holding the mandolin with " The only mandolin fit for a priest" along the bottom. :thumbsup: Soon you'll see my poster in all the music stores.

Thanks for the string advice. I got some good advice on mando cafe as well. The factory strings are light for the length. A .046 bass string would probably be much better for intonation and buzzing.

CS
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

frchristo wrote:Very funny! :lol:

Maybe they will start a line of headstock inlays covering all the major religions. In the mean time, I'm sending them of photo of me in my cassock holding the mandolin with " The only mandolin fit for a priest" along the bottom. :thumbsup: Soon you'll see my poster in all the music stores.
CS
I wonder if I could get mine retrofitted with a Star of David....

If you actually DO take that photo, post it here too!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!