Anyone interested in Harmonicas for Keltic Music?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Shaun-Patrick Young
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Anyone interested in Harmonicas for Keltic Music?

Post by Shaun-Patrick Young »

Hi.

As I get older, it gets tougher for me to play whistles and flutes (never was that good at it anyway, but it was fun). Because of that I got turned on to harmonicas (mundaharps). I was wondering how many others have re-discovered how versatile these little mouth harps are in playing Celtic music.

I joined the Harmonica Organization of Texas, and finding more folk, like Terry Lakes and I, who really love playing the little diatonic instruments for a lot of tunes (like jigs and reels) and others that you'd never think was possible for the little instruments.

'Course, because of the "Richtor" tuning of the diatonics, one has to be creative in how some of the traditional Keltic tunes are played, but I'm finding that is part of the fun as well. Just wondering if there's enough interest with Chiff and Fipple to create a "Mundaharp" section?

Best regards,

Shaun-Patrick
To the Four Airts to Guide us and for the Four Winds to get us there.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

there's SteveShaw on this board...
Shaun-Patrick Young

Just sent him an email.

Yes. I just sent Steve an email via his website. Trying to update my own a bit to reflect the fun of this stuff.

I know harmonicas have been around since 1821, but everyone seems surprised that harmonicas can play Keltic music. Steve does a GREAT job on his website on explaining a lot about harmonicas. I'm digging up other sites as well that give some info about how to play them, etc., etc..

The S.P.A.H. also has some good info about harmonicas as well. (www.spah.org). If you mean that Steve is on the board, does that mean there's already a group with Chiff & Fipple about harmonicas?
Denny

Post by Denny »

they're stuck in free reeds...
...and yes Steve is on this board as SteveShaw
Shaun-Patrick Young

Thanks Denny

Makes sense, "Free Reeds." Cute. Thanks Denny.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Sort of...there wasn't many harmonicas about when Dale ran the post about creating a box forum... I searched for the thread...no can find.

I did notice that all of Steve's harmonica post are still in this forum and that there are none in the Squeezebox...

Steve should show up soon, it'll be getting dark where he is!
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Denny wrote:...

Yeah, and it's hot and humid here and I've been on the Highland Park... :twisted:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

Funny you should bring this topic up. About a year ago I started working on harmonica skills. While I wouldn't call myself a harmonica player, I have worked up Blarney Pilgrim on instrument. I always wondered how any one would feel about harmonica at a real session. I think it might be nice if done well.

P3
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
Denny

Post by Denny »

SteveShaw wrote:
Denny wrote:...

Yeah, and it's hot and humid here and I've been on the Highland Park... :twisted:
Okay...sounds bad!

I Googled: Highland Park Bude Cornwall UK

...still don't know what it is...
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Denny wrote:I Googled: Highland Park Bude Cornwall UK

Try http://www.highlandpark.co.uk/

It takes away the nasty metal-and-wood taste of harmonicas :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

picardy third wrote:Funny you should bring this topic up. About a year ago I started working on harmonica skills. While I wouldn't call myself a harmonica player, I have worked up Blarney Pilgrim on instrument. I always wondered how any one would feel about harmonica at a real session. I think it might be nice if done well.

P3
I've been playing my harmonicas in sessions for years. My policy is to play the tunes in single notes and not do any vamping. Just observe the same protocols as everyone else. You're primarily playing Irish music, not a harmonica. So no bluesy wailing or wah-wahs when playing with other melody-players! I think this is where Brendan Power went a bit astray in his foray into Irish music, and I am not alone among the ranks of harmonica players who also like ITM in thinking that. The main difficulty is when you have to play in noisy settings. You can have monster tone and projection, but you are still going to be overwhelmed. In my own sessions I use a little battery amp (Yamaha VA10) and a lapel mic cupped in my hands. The other guys encourage me to do this, though I would never roll up to a session where I wasn't known toting an amp! In the Dublin sessions I went to at Easter I found that the music was treated a bit more respectfully and there were "quieter" areas around the session table. Also, the other musicians were used to giving each other a bit of air, so I didn't have to play like the clappers to be heard, and certainly didn't need electrical assistance. Flanum'll tell yer! :)
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Denny

Post by Denny »

GaryKelly wrote:
Denny wrote:I Googled: Highland Park Bude Cornwall UK

Try http://www.highlandpark.co.uk/

It takes away the nasty metal-and-wood taste of harmonicas :)
shoulda left off that Bude stuff, eh? :lol:

shoulda noticed the Brit in "been on the"...too!