Newbie needs help!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nightingale
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Newbie needs help!

Post by Nightingale »

Hi,

I have a Feadog brass whistle in D, and I am having so many problems with the 2nd octave!! The notes crack all over the place, and I just can't figure it out!

I'm sure this is a common problem...but the thing is, I'm a flute player! I'm studying flute performance in university, so I consider myself a pretty professional flutist. You'd think I could play the tin whistle without much difficulty, right? I mean, the breathing and air pressure concepts are basically the same as flute for reaching the high registers.

Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong? I've read through the forum alot and seen stuff about tweaking the whistle...but I really have no idea how that works so I don't want to try it!

I REALLY want to play the whistle well! I have for years...my dad's from Cape Breton, so I've spent many a summer there surrounded by wonderful music, and I want to PLAY IT!!!!

help please!!!!
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

First, don't beat yourself up. The cackle you describe is something I was writing about in a different thread on this forum a couple of days ago.

Feadogs and Generations (as well as several other cylindrical bore whistles) are known for having a shrillish tone and for not playing cleanly in the second octave.

Before you give up on tin whistles, try different brands (and materials) until you find one that suits you and your playing style.

Among cheap whistles, Clarkes are a favorite of mine. Among mid-range whistles, Susatos are well regarded (I just recently got my first Susato--a C--and I really like it). For a higher-end(ish) whistle, I'd recommend Dave O'Brien. I bought one of his copper whistles a few months ago and am still delieriously happy with it.

Hang in there!

Walt
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

To tell you the truth,
just recently I've visited a friend who has a Feadog brass D - and I brought my Waltons brass D.
They look almost identical to the naked eye, and they even sound the same on the first octave, but the second octave - that was a difference.

The Feadog indeed seems to be more... hard to describe - trying to sound clearer in the higher notes. Less chiffy.
My Walton's sounded alot more chiffy - but with that doesn't really crackle much when switching between holes.

With all that, I think it takes a little practice to 'master' your feadog - so don't lose hope just yet.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Welcome to the chiff, Nightingale.

As a former clarinet player, I still got squeaks and squawks when I started on the whistle. I was playing a Clarke Original and a Feadog D in brass. It takes practice, no matter the whistle .... but my playing did improve 'overnight' when I bought a tunable Dixon.

You will be buying more whistles (which are much cheaper than flutes) ... might as well start now. :)

Judy
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

Nightingale,

Please persevere with that dawg! It does require a lot more sensitivity with breath pressure in octave 2 (Boehm flutes are much more forgiving). Please DO the blu-tak tweak! this makes things possible for a n00b like you and I. But once you tame the beasty I guarantee that you will be getting it out compulsively at sessions - regardless whatever Abells or Bleazeys you got in yer bag! Either that or make sure you got a Gen handy.

I imagine that after time I will get a hook and disgourge all that goopy blu-tak outa my dawg and have at it one more time - until then it's as much a part of me as my Syn (and my Chieftian and my Abell and ...)

All I can say is whenever I hear great whistle being played live - I go in and lo - it's a Gen or a Dawg or a Clarke original going at it :)

Playing alone or concerts with microphones is another thing - but I would recommend unplugged group playing to keep the passion growing. Your dawg will always have a place there - I've even seen Original dawgs patched with bandaids and glue that sounded divine.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
kkeesy

re

Post by kkeesy »

I', pretty new to the whistle and I went through several Than I bought a Narrow bore from Mr.O'Brien.It really is a great whistle it's very forgiving and stable.It has gave me the confidence that a beginner needs.
In The Woods

Post by In The Woods »

Work with the Feadog for a while; it really doesn't take very much wind to get it to sound well in both octaves. In fact, I sometimes think that playing a whistle is an exercise in breath holding rather than blowing!

With best regards,

Steve Mack
Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light get's in.

Leonard Cohen
Nightingale

Post by Nightingale »

thanks everyone :)

maybe i will get a Clarke whistle to start...they seem to be pretty popular, and easier for a beginner. I just really wanted to play the Feadog though, cause it's the real deal authentic irish whistle! I'll keep chopping away at it....maybe I should stop thinking like a flutist. Maybe i am putting too much air through it.. hmm
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Go to the home page here and click on how to tweak a whistle. Then get some sticky poster tac and put it in the cavity under the windway. It does not have to be blue. You can get white at Wally world or hobby lobby.
It can be found at office supply stores also.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Agreed on the blu-tak tweak. My blu-tak is actually yellow and I got it at Wal-Mart for about $.99 next to the crayons.

It's a pretty simple tweak and made a noticeable difference in the upper register on my Feadóg. It's still a little more difficult to play than some others, but not by much - and it's got that great bite in the tone.

Jason
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Don't give up on the Feadog...but do consider tweaking it. It really isn't difficult at all. Mostly you want to make sure that there is no crud in the windway...even little tiny pieces of rough plastic crud.

Removing the head is worrisome, but pretty easy to do with the cup of hot (not boiling) water. And once you get it off, you'll see how easy it is to fill in the cavity with something pliable like blue tack or candle wax (or chewing gum!) and it will stabilize the higher notes.

But crappy high notes, and learning to get the second register cleanly, is all part of being a whistler. Go for a note or two, then go higher and higher until you can get all of both registers without being afraid to make a really awful sound.

Goodluck!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

And don't be too surprised if you come back after gaining more experience and find that this "unplayable" whistle has miraculously improved.

I bought a lot of cheapies when I started playing, and found many of them just about impossible to handle in the second octave. I put 'em away and played other whistles for a few months, then tried again - much to my surprise, some of the "unplayable" whistles turned out to be quite easy to handle, and even the worst were now playable. I may *still* have lousy timing and fumble my ornaments, but my breath control's improved quite a bit ;)

Since I'd been playing recorder on-and-off for 30 years before starting whistle, I'd thought I'd have the breath control down - bad assumption! Whistle and recorder are quite different beasts, and flute is even further distant, with the biggest difference in the upper octaves.

BTW - you may have a bum whistle, but Feadogs are generally one of the more consistant cheapies. When I first started out, I thought they sounded awful in the upper octave, but with a bit of practice they became quite controllable (and sounded much better). So don't despair!
whistlin'fool

Post by whistlin'fool »

I love my feadog, i notice that even though i have a syn and it sounds beatiful, i always end up reaching for my feadog when i just want to goof around, i love the way it sounds and sometimes it squawks but not too much, it just makes it sound more authentic and not like a flute.
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Generations and that stuff are garbage for beginners. My first whistle was a Gen and I was like "Man, I suck at life" after trying to play it. But then I got a Clarke's and got my life back on track
Nightingale

Post by Nightingale »

you guys are so friendly and helpful! :)

so i've ordered a Clarke...it seems like all of you have several whistles, so I figure I may as well start adding to my collection. Now I can't wait for it to come!

Maybe I'll be brave and try that blu-tak thing on the Feadog....I just don't want to ruin it though (it was a gift from my dad...sappy, i know...)

Grr of course I can't even get the mouthpiece off, I tried the hot water thing to no avail earlier. Time to go try again...