Tweaking a Walton

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Black Mage
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tweaking a Walton

Post by Black Mage »

I am presently (and slowly) tweaking my Walton Irish Whistle (D). I removed the fipple and brought it into tune. I have done the standard blue-tak tweak to the fipple and am now in the process of tweaking the sound blade. I've taken a thin square of plastic and am using a wad of blue-tak to hold it in place at the lower end of the fipple until I get some glue.

So far I like how I have the sound and want to secure the new sound blade in place, but I want a glue that will hold plastic to plastic, and that won't dry too quickly (so I can fiddle with the fipple a little before it sets).

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
Denis

Post by Denis »

I use 5-minute epoxy. Mix a small equal quantity from the two tubes together on a disposable surface (paper works). Apply a bit to the contact surfaces of both the the new blade and the fipple. Press them together for about ten seconds to smooth out the glue application. Then adjust the new blade's position by testing and sliding it until you have it right.

Try not to get any glue on your fingers. If you do wipe off the glue and the wash with soap and water to be sure you have it all off before handling the whistle again.
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Think I misread the title, so am starting a separate thread.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

Denis wrote:I use 5-minute epoxy. Mix a small equal quantity from the two tubes together on a disposable surface (paper works). Apply a bit to the contact surfaces of both the the new blade and the fipple. Press them together for about ten seconds to smooth out the glue application. Then adjust the new blade's position by testing and sliding it until you have it right.

Try not to get any glue on your fingers. If you do wipe off the glue and the wash with soap and water to be sure you have it all off before handling the whistle again.
I use acetone to wash my fingers from super glue (crazy glue) an epoxy glue. It works every time!

You can also clean metal parts (and some plastic parts) from glue with acetone. Acetone is also great to clean parts before putting glue on them. But be careful - acetone dissolves many plastic materials.