Sam Murray

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kmag
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Sam Murray

Post by kmag »

My wife and went to Ireland and planned staying for ten days on our way to Spain to see my Daughter.
While in Galway for a couple of days I decided to see if I could find Sam Murray and visit with him and take a look at some of his flutes since I had never seen one. I was surprised to find that he is not listed in the phone book and gave up on the idea since I need a new flute like I need another hole in the head.
Unfortunately, on the fourth day while on the Aran Islands, Jackie suffered a heart attack and had to be airlifted back to Galway University Hospital. She needed five days there and another week at a bed and breakfast to recover enough to fly.
While she took naps I would go out and explore Galway.
One day I was at a pub and I always take a camera with me and the one I had this day was my old Rolleiflex. I was standing there and the man next to me started a conversation about my camera and about an old woodframed camera he had restored. That is when he told me that he doesn't normally do that kind of work, that he is a flutemaker. Of course I asked his name and he replied, Sam Murray.
I couldn't believe my luck. He is a very nice man and I told him I had tried looking for him and he told me that he practises a zen style of marketing, no ads, no web-pages, just word of mouth.
I rushed back to tell Jackie my good fortune and the man in the next bed said he thought the story was beautiful and started to cry.
The care she received was fantastic and we are home now and she is doing well.
A good friend of mine said a trip to Ireland is not a trip without a good story...and that's it.
Kurt
Hoovorff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Hoovorff »

Beautiful story, Kurt! We'll keep your wife in our prayers. It sounds like you were meant to meet Sam Murray!

Thanks for sharing, Jeanie
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Oh Man, what a great story!

So sad for your wife, though. :o
I hope she is doing well!

M
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

That is a wonderful story.
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Sam Murray

Post by kmag »

Thank you for everone's concern.
She is doing well and is scheduled to have stents put into three arteries tomorrow.
On the good side we have discussed how great it was to meet so many people due to this experience.
I would have to say that you will never find more freindly and caring people in this world than Ireland. It is especially evident where we were. The hospital is a regional hospital and people come from all over western Ireland to be taken care of there. The patients pulled together and many families were from small towns, one from Clare Island, and traveled hours each day to see each other.
The staff, as well as other patients, went to great pains to make us feel at home and as comfortable as possible, to the extent of sending over their children and grandchildren to talk to us.
For that we will be always grateful.
On the flute side of things. Sam said his waiting list on keyless flutes was about three months.
Thanks,
Kurt
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Thanks for the story Kurt, and I hope your wife gets well and strong again, it's certainly not easy when people close to you become seriously ill. Sam Murray is a fine craftsman and I hope he's doing alright
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Steampacket wrote:... Sam Murray is a fine craftsman and I hope he's doing alright
Oh yes...he is... 8)
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

God bless you both ... actually, the whole hospital and everyone you met! If the people I know who've had the procedure done are any indication, your wife will feel a million percent better once those stents are in and settled, and you will both be amazed at how much her energy level improves.

Besides, with Sam Murray on your side ... :-)

Wow. The universe takes care of us in such surprising and mysterious ways, doesn't it? It's always good to be reminded of that.

Peace!

cat.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.