Embouchure and "White Noise"

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
In The Woods
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Embouchure and "White Noise"

Post by In The Woods »

I've started out learning flute with my Tipple, and while I can get a good-enough embouchure to sound the lower and upper register with some consistency, I notice that there is a lot of what I would call "white noise", or hiss, when I'm in the upper register. I also noticed that I run out of air very quickly, and I'm then sometimes literally wrenching myself around to pump in more air, which throws my fingers off just enough to muffle the tone, and,.... well, you get the picture.

I've been playing for about four months. Is this about where I should be? Or should I have progressed farther? I do understand that it will take some time for me to become comfortable with my flute, but I'm having fun trying, and every now and again I manage to squeeze a recognizable tune out it. :D And I'm NOT blaming the instrument; it's me.

Any suggestions?

I also realize that I have gotten a bad case of WHOA, and taking up the flute along with the whistle is my particular lunacy, but I can't help myself! Stay away or I'll go crazy, and take you with me!!! :boggle:

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Steve Mack
Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light get's in.

Leonard Cohen
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

smaller hole 'tween lips, better focus of air stream, hit the edge of the hole at the correct angle with the air stream

sounds like you're doing fine

takes a while to develop the muscles
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Second this. You're doing fine. Patience, practice,
a few more months....
Davie Baby 2

Post by Davie Baby 2 »

my tipple has a tipple-fajardo wedge, i think that helps.
Flutered
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flutered »

At the risk of falling into the common trap of one eejit advising another, I think two pointers may be useful to you
a) in the second octave, aim to tighten the hole in your lips. This increases the air speed and uses less air than simply blowing harder as you would, say on a whistle whilst achieving the same effect. Perhaps a good way of practising this is to do exercises or better still tunes that require octave jumps
b) you will know if you are in control of a tune if it takes about the same amount breath to play as to say have a conversation with someone on the other side of the room. i.e. you shouldn't finish gasping for air! When this happens, I know I have to go back and see where I can 'create' a breathing space or take advantage of one that I'm ignoring etc. Conversely, when I finish a tune or tunes and feel I can carry on a normal conversation immediatedly, then there is a feeling of control and that the music has come out well. Maybe this will help.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Davie Baby 2 wrote:my tipple has a tipple-fajardo wedge, i think that helps.
ah, no :D
larrywcusick

Post by larrywcusick »

Hi Steve

It sounds like we're at the same place with this thing. Lately I'm coming around to the conclusion that the "white noise effect" is a result of inconsistent embouchure. So I'm now focusing on keeping my embouchure tight throughout the tune. I end up with an aching jaw at the end of a practice session, so I figure I am doing something right. But it's fun.

--Larry
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Give it time. Practice long tones and overtones (search for both, you'll find the exercises).
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
BillG

Post by BillG »

Look at the other - outer - edge of the embouchure hole when you first begin playing and the flute is still a little cold. There should be a triangle shape to the breath mark - like a Delta - angling away from the hole and about as wide as the hole where it begins. When I hear the hiss, and it happens too often, I see the air stream to the right of the blow hole instead of on center.

Check it out.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
Blayne Chastain

Post by Blayne Chastain »

Funny you should ask... I'm gearing up for a performance in 10 days and I'm getting myself conditioned for it... I've been working on a project and it has kept me from playing the flute as much as I should / would...

In terms of breathing... Incorrect or inefficient breathing effects most of us to some degree. One can always breathe "better".

You probably know this but make sure that your shoulders aren't raising when breathing in - rather... make sure that your belly is filling with air. When you practice deep breaths like this where you are focusing the inhalation to fill your belly, towards the end of that inhalation your rib cage will even expand a little.

A good way to practice your breathing and expand your lungs (literally you can expand your lung capacity by even double over time) is to take a familiar tune and play at an easy pace. Take a deep breath and play as far as you can go (make sure you're using a metronome for reference). Each time you try - try to play further down the tune. You might even keep a journal of your progress. If I'm feeling like I've been lazy with my breathing, I'll sometimes stand in front of the mirror with my shirt off (over sharing I know!) and play while watching my belly... making sure it's filling big with air - similar to a uilleann piper filling his bag full of air...

FWIW...

Back to practicing... (don't worry... my shirt's on!)

:party:

Best,
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

McChastain wrote: If I'm feeling like I've been lazy with my breathing, I'll sometimes stand in front of the mirror with my shirt off (over sharing I know!) and play while watching my belly... making sure it's filling big with air - similar to a uilleann piper filling his bag full of air...
Thank you for sharing that with us ! :o
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Blayne Chastain

Post by Blayne Chastain »

YOU would enjoy that Jack!

:lol:
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

McChastain wrote:YOU would enjoy that Jack!

:lol:
You're right! I'm trying it out as we speak......photos to follow ???? :P
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Brewster

Post by Brewster »

Hey Steve, I'm a newbie, too--also playing a Tipple. I'm in the same boat as you--getting notes, but lots of air. I tried Fluttered's advice last night to really tighten and focus the air stream which helped greatly.

As a newbie, I'm finding the hardest notes to hit consistently are the lowest 2 or 3.

Question for all--how do you keep the flute from falling down when playing C#? Without my left fingers on the holes, I find the headpiece wanting to move around to much.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Brewster wrote:Question for all--how do you keep the flute from falling down when playing C#? Without my left fingers on the holes, I find the headpiece wanting to move around to much.
Think of the flute as a see-saw:

The base of your left forfinger (if you play right-handed) is the pivot.
One end is your chin.
The other end is the foot of the flute, against the side of which your right thumb (and possibly right pinkie) will be pressing.

You should be able to lift all your fingers off the flute, and your left thumb too, and the flute will stay in position by the pressure of your right thumb, the pivot (base of left finger) and chin. The harder you press with your right thumb, the harder the headjoint will press into your chin/lip, if you don't move the pivot (base of left forefinger).
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner