tutorial Cd by Brian Finnegan

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dessinchat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

tutorial Cd by Brian Finnegan

Post by dessinchat »

Hi all ! I have found here a link to the www.madfortrad.com website ... don't remember in which topic ...
Does anyone have an opinion about the tutorial Cd for tin whistle made by Brian Finnegan? I would be interested to know if it's a good way to learn ? :) Never got this kind of cd, I only have the Grey Larsen book ( with cd too..) is it worth buying this one ?

Nicole
shadoe42

Post by shadoe42 »

I have that cd. My issue with it is as a tutorial you should probably play what is written and he does not do that. Now to its credit the opening text of the cd tells you this but NOT the blurb to buy it. Yes I know it is all about individual expression in Trad but when you are learning you often need something a little more literal.
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

I like it. An experienced whistle player on C&F encouraged me to get it, saying it would be good to expose myself to different styles of playing, and I've learned some things that I haven't picked up anywhere else...certain sounds he gets, such as combining tonguing with cuts, plus his approach to some of the tunes. I don't have access to a live whistle teacher, so listening to what a variety of whistlers do has been a big help for me. I'm very glad I bought it.

He uses more tonguing in his playing than most, but he's so grounded in the tradition and his tonguing fits into the rythm so well that it still sounds traditional, at least to me (he stays with his traditional roots for the most part, and doesn't sound Flooky on the tunes he teaches). I learn by ear, so the fact that the notes he plays don't all fit the sheet music is a non-issue for me.

It's not a detailed treatise approach like the Larsen tutorial, more a traditional approach to teaching traditional music, where he plays a tune and gives a few pointers as he goes along. I think his playing has more life to it than Larsen's, which is important to me in learning from someone. I'm not a big Flook fan, and I like this tutorial a lot. Advanced players probably wouldn't get much out of it.
Love...Serve...Remember
shadoe42

Post by shadoe42 »

hehe don't mean to sound completely disparaging about this cd. I just think there are better tutorials on the net. But there is some good info on it. I am glad however this was not the first tutorial/lesson cd/webpage etc I tried. For me personally I would have been really confused. Guess it comes from the "formal" training. I play/sing by a combination of reading and by ear so when I watch a video tutorial for example I like it when the player is playing what is written. AGAIN just a personal thing :) Your Mileage May Vary.
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I would say the Grey Larsen books are a bit over the top and challenging for a brand new learner.

Bill Ochs The Clarke Tin Whistle: Deluxe Edition (Book & CD) is very aproachable. Starts with basic stuff and moves on the more challenging material. I recommend this book/CD combo highly.

The Brian Finnegan VCD is very good too. It's casual. Like you had a buddy that plays whistle and he'll teach you some stuff. He'll show you the sheet music, then show how he plays it, tell you to play along, try a slide, try some vibrato. If you can swing with it, I'd recommend it.

Have fun,
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
dessinchat

Post by dessinchat »

Thanks for your replies... Well ! I see more how this cd can be ... I will think to all that and perhaps, will give a try for a Xmas gift ... :) but that's sure, I can find some tutorials on the net which are well done too ... I love those of Phil on Kerrywhistles because he uses his low whistle and I think that it's not exactly the same than playing on a high D... do you know others which would be using Low whistle too ?

For example, I'm now trying to play some tunes where there are some natural F... I have not a lot of problems to get a Fnat on a high D whistle, I find it more difficult on a Low D... I remember to have read here some topic about how using half holes but I don't find them again ... :-?
Nicole
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

Hi dessinchat, I really really encourage you to explore that Fnat on a D whistle - this is one of the most magical notes on the tube!

Get a ABC or notation version of Tabhair dom do lamh and work wiith it - it has oportunities for both cross fingered and half-holed Cnats and the B part goes into a single Fnat that makes your hair stand up - half holed is good because you can slide up to it from the E with great effect. I love learning this way - using tunes that realy mean something both at speed and while you are working it up. This tune has taught me more about whistle than anything else - there are probably many more but for understanding the Fnat I can't think of better. Also good is to listen and play along with the Chieftains version of the tune.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Dee Whistler

Post by Dee Whistler »

If you're a big fan of Finnegan's style, then I strongly recommed it, if not, then there might be better ones out there.
It's not that hard to play it right. It's hard to play it wrong in the right place.