Whistle miking

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
IanBCelt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by IanBCelt »

I have tried for years to get a straight answer from players and soundmen alike as to the proper placement of my whistle in relation to a microphone for the best sound. The players responses tend toward the fipple and the soundmen seem to favor the end (like a trumpet, I guess). Where exactly does the sound "come" from?
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

The fipple. I have seen many a player with the mic at the bottom and I can't hear the instrument.

Try this easy experiment. Play a note, and cover the "bottom" of the whistle. The note gets a bit strangled but is still there. Now play a note and cover the fipple. 'Nuff said. :smile:
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

When I read the subject I thought it said "Whistle Milking", which is probably the quickest I've gone off topic yet!

So, now we know how to mike a whistle, any ideas on how to milk a whistle?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

I thought the same thing when I first looked at the heading!!!

Imagine my surprise....
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

too weird...I also first saw Whistle Milking, but went back, reread the title and lo, its Miking. hmmmmmm.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

I don't know how to milk a whistle, but you guys are giving a good demonstration of how to milk a thread.
Barney-O

Post by Barney-O »

Just make sure you have your Fipple Guard II installed before you start milking to prevent splash-back in your face.

NOTE TO MANUFACTURER: Feel free to use this "duel purpose" idea for the Fipple Guard in your product promotions.

Keith
DrRichard

Post by DrRichard »

Depends on the situation. For stage work, I mike from above, mike pointing down toward the fipple.

For studio work, I use a good dynamic mike from above, pointing at the fipple, plus a large diagphragm mike off axis and mix to get the sound I want.

YMMV :smile: but this works well for me!

Richard
Gary

Post by Gary »

IMHO, I'd mic a live whistle with a Shure SM-57 or a good condenser mic, near the fipple end. I would not use a SM-58 here.

In the studio, you have a different environment. Pressure zone mics (PZM's) can be wonderful. I plan on using 2 mics for recording my whistle. One SM-57 about 12" away from the fipple end and one SM-57 or PZM about 4 feet away; mix to taste.

Because low notes have lower volume than high notes, some folks like to use a limiter/compressor to even everything out.

Basically, it will come down to what sounds best to you. (Just my $0.02)

Good luck,
Gary

SINKING INTO THE SEA OF DEEP PONDERING> I wonder how a whistle would sound with stereo chorus/flanger/phaser/leslie? Hmmmm........
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I wonder how a whistle would sound in the Sea of Deep Pondering.
Gary

Post by Gary »

"I wonder how a whistle would sound in the Sea of Deep Pondering."

Kinda like new age music played backwards.... <G>
dd

Post by dd »

[quote]
On 2002-05-07 10:03, Barney-O wrote:

NOTE TO MANUFACTURER: Feel free to use this "duel purpose" idea for the Fipple Guard in your product promotions.

ya mean we can milk them AND duel with them...dueling whistles?
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

Well, if you're gonna be duelling, I will admit that the FippleGuard will deflect a riposte better than my FippleShield. I'm obviously falling behind in the R&D race here. Time to get the development team another case of Mountain Dew...
WhistlerWannaBe

Post by WhistlerWannaBe »

and here I thought it was a new mystery...

I was sure it was milking too, and had never heard of our mysterious fluid described as milk before......
I'll become even more undignified than this!
(King David, II Samuel 6)
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

OK, here it is, FippleShield III, with optional milking attachment. Protects from sun, duels, and draws FippleMilk while playing.

http://www.geocities.com/dazedinla2002/ ... ield3.html