Are Introverts Smarter?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Are you an introvert or extrovert? (sorry, there's nothing inbetween)

Introvert
93%
Extrovert
7%

Total votes: 43

Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Are Introverts Smarter?

Post by Lorenzo »

• Introverted children enjoy the internal world of thoughts, feelings and fantasies, and there's a physiological reason for this. Researchers using brain scans have found introverts have more brain activity in general, and specifically in the frontal lobes. When these areas are activated, introverts are energized by retrieving long-term memories, problem solving, introspection, complex thinking and planning.

Extroverts enjoy the external world of things, people and activities. They have more activity in brain areas involved in processing the sensory information we're bombarded with daily. Because extroverts have less internally generated brain activity, they search for more external stimuli to energize them. USA Today
Last edited by Lorenzo on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Your thread heading is supposed to be an attention grabber, right?
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I am an introvert, so the answer is: YES, we are smarter.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

emmline, I think that's true of most headings. As I reviewed it, I realized I forgot to add the question mark.

(I edited it while you were asking the question)
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Sorry, I couldn't decide which I am, so I didn't vote.

I am painfully shy, and hate to have people pick me out in public for attention. I find it all but impossible to speak publically, I blush a dazzling red when I think people are looking at me...

On the other hand, I am quite gregarious, I make friends very easily and get on with nearly everyone. I can bring myself to perform in public along with a group of people.

And going by the definitions in the first post, I am both from that analytical perspective too, as well as from the social one by which I better know the terms.

I guess I swing both ways. Is that possible?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Introverted children enjoy the internal world of thoughts, feelings and fantasies, and there's a physiological reason for this. Researchers using brain scans have found introverts have more brain activity in general, and specifically in the frontal lobes. When these areas are activated, introverts are energized by retrieving long-term memories, problem solving, introspection, complex thinking and planning.
How could introverts have more brain activity in general? I mean, isn't everyone's brain working all the time? I could sort of understand introverts and extroverts showing more activity in different areas, as the article does go on to say. I have certainly noticed that people excel in different things---if you are an introvert, probably you are not going be the right person for public relations; if you're an extrovert, probably you are not going to be happy working at home alone. But all these activities require intelligence, planning, problem solving, introspection, etc. I have never noticed a difference in what I would call intelligence between these two types of people. And people who are extremely one or the other probably suffer equally in adapting to life. Extroverts may have trouble being alone which can be a problem, introverts may have trouble socializing, which is the first step in making friendships.

I suppose the point the article makes that introverted people or children have been seen in a negative light and should not be is valid. I don't think introverted people are less intelligent, but I have not heard that anyone did. But, speaking as an introverted person, there are difficulties which can be pretty troubling at times and can actually hold you back. If I had a child, I would want him or her to be more extroverted than I am.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
hyldemoer

Re: Are Introverts Smarter?

Post by hyldemoer »

How curious!
The subject is "Are Introverts Smarter" but the poll asks us if we're an introvert or an extrovert (implying we view ourselves as smarter than what we aren't?).

After many years studying theatre as therapy not many people realize how crippled I sometimes feel by being boarderline Asperger's Syndrome.
I am very hopelessly protocol oriented. The hardest part of going out in public is figuring out if I'm responding appropriately.

I really envy how casually wild and wacky extroverts can interact with other people. So many of them seem to be able to maneuver through social situations without seeming ever having to wonder if they've insulted someone one with their intelligence.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Smarter??? What a load. Intelligence takes on many maifestations. Just because my math abilities are frighteningly abysmal, for instance -and they are- it doesn't make me stupid. In the same vein, introverts and extroverts simply interact with the world in different ways. What's not to understand? Intelligence has nothing to do with the question at all. :really:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
missy

Post by missy »

looking at my kids, my oldest is extremely shy (I always said they'd have to cut my leg off to try and take him from me.....), very regimented, very common sense, and intelligent, but not extremely so.

My youngest is very outgoing (he's the one I had to put a harness on to keep anywhere near me), ADD, extremely gifted, and has no common sense, and no short term memory.

In other words - they don't fit into "any" pattern!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I'd like to say 'yes' but don't want to attract attention to myself :oops:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Blackout_Entertainment

Post by Blackout_Entertainment »

If you don't know which you are, you're probably an introvert. It means drawn inward, not anti-social.

Seems most of our whistlers here think of themselves as introverts, which suprises me. Maybe its something to do with woodwinds...?
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Nanohedron wrote:Smarter??? What a load. Intelligence takes on many maifestations. Just because my math abilities are frighteningly abysmal, for instance -and they are- it doesn't make me stupid. In the same vein, introverts and extroverts simply interact with the world in different ways. What's not to understand? Intelligence has nothing to do with the question at all. :really:
Nano must be an extrovert. :wink:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I'm not sure if the article is implying that introverts are smarter, but I thought they were. I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence either, but what do I know. The article does imply that extroverts are better at processing the daily things they're faced with.

One thing about this internet connection...I think it provides people who would normally retreat inward an opportunity to come out of their shell.
maire

Post by maire »

I'd like to tell you my thoughts, but I'm too shy :sniffle:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Lorenzo wrote:The article does imply that extroverts are better at processing the daily things they're faced with.
I would be more likely to agree with that. Nevertheless, I've also noticed that some extroverts are the worst at processing social cues, too.
Lorenzo wrote:One thing about this internet connection...I think it provides people who would normally retreat inward an opportunity to come out of their shell.
Congratulations wrote:Nano must be an extrovert. :wink:
:lol: Actually, no. See Lorenzo's quote above. There's some truth to that. Like buddhu, I'm situational as far as social behavior goes, but I think it's safe to say that I generally fall within an "introvert" category. I just get very worked up when issues of intelligence get thrown into such questions. I'm convinced there is no overall relevance to that angle, and I think it's misguided to attempt such generalisations.
Last edited by Nanohedron on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician