Koehler, Farrington and Kelly in concert June 17

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
KAD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Koehler, Farrington and Kelly in concert June 17

Post by KAD »

Posted on behalf of the concert organizer. Voorheesville is in the vicinity of Albany, NY.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SAVE THE DATE! Sat. June 17, 6 pm. Concert of Traditional Irish Music to Benefit the East Coast Pipers Tionol, a non-profit Irish cultural event. Old Songs Community Arts Center, Voorheesville, NY. For information, call: (518) 756-8273. $10

Please join us for an evening of beautiful traditional music in support of the Tionol. Concert features Uilleann piper and pipe-maker Benedict Koehler, Clare-style fiddler Willie Kelly, Irish harper Hilari Farrington, and Clare native Siobhan Kelly on traditional Irish wooden flute.

The Tionol, a gathering of trad musicians, students, and their families, is held annually in October, most recently in the Catskills. The weekend event features classes in Uilleann piping and reed-making, Irish fiddle, and traditional Irish flute and whistle. The weekend also offers loads of formal and informal sessions, a concert by some pretty amazing Tionol instructors, and many, many opportunities for networking, trading tunes, and sharing the tradition. The Tionol brings a number of instructors from Ireland to this event, and proceeds from this concert will help underwrite related Tionol expenses.

KAD
KAD

Post by KAD »

Bump.

Only one month away now!

KAD
glands

Post by glands »

This is one of those events that should be professionally recorded and put out as a live music CD.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

KAD wrote:Bump.

Only one month away now!

KAD

...foul temptress!

t
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Have a happy tionol- wish I was there-maybe next year!
KAD

Post by KAD »

tommykleen wrote:...foul temptress!

t
Heh heh heh.
glands wrote:This is one of those events that should be professionally recorded and put out as a live music CD.
I totally agree. I might even suggest that to Benedict -- in some alternate universe, where pigs fly, I can make a reed as well as he can, and I don't care about falling out of his good graces.

But in this timeline, I fear, we will all just have to live with the unhappy irony that one of the piping world's most brilliant, thoughtful, and subtle players stubbornly refuses to believe (or to acknowledge) that his own music is worth preserving.

KAD
upiper71

Re: Koehler, Farrington and Kelly in concert June 17

Post by upiper71 »

KAD wrote:Posted on behalf of the concert organizer. Voorheesville is in the vicinity of Albany, NY.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SAVE THE DATE! Sat. June 17, 6 pm. Concert of Traditional Irish Music to Benefit the East Coast Pipers Tionol, a non-profit Irish cultural event. Old Songs Community Arts Center, Voorheesville, NY. For information, call: (518) 756-8273. $10

Please join us for an evening of beautiful traditional music in support of the Tionol. Concert features Uilleann piper and pipe-maker Benedict Koehler, Clare-style fiddler Willie Kelly, Irish harper Hilari Farrington, and Clare native Siobhan Kelly on traditional Irish wooden flute.

The Tionol, a gathering of trad musicians, students, and their families, is held annually in October, most recently in the Catskills. The weekend event features classes in Uilleann piping and reed-making, Irish fiddle, and traditional Irish flute and whistle. The weekend also offers loads of formal and informal sessions, a concert by some pretty amazing Tionol instructors, and many, many opportunities for networking, trading tunes, and sharing the tradition. The Tionol brings a number of instructors from Ireland to this event, and proceeds from this concert will help underwrite related Tionol expenses.

KAD
Having seen BK at the CLW 06 reminded me of how much I love Irish music, and how much more work I need of my playing :lol:

I wish I could make it! Darn! Toom any committments, so little time :(
KAD

Post by KAD »

Bump.
maze

Post by maze »

"But in this timeline, I fear, we will all just have to live with the unhappy irony that one of the piping world's most brilliant, thoughtful, and subtle players stubbornly refuses to believe (or to acknowledge) that his own music is worth preserving."

-KAD (evil tenured temptress)

This shall ever elude me. The man plays with the gentleness of an angel's wings, and the power of a deep sea wave. Someone has to get this gentleman on a recording someday. I have no idea how Brian managed as much.[/quote]
glands

Post by glands »

It probably won't happen. Should.....but won't.
lesl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

I'd really wanted to be there but knew I'd never get a ride up.. Anyone feel like reporting on it? These are 4 of my fav. people in the whole world.

Lesl