At First Light-New Site.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Phil Hardy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

At First Light-New Site.

Post by Phil Hardy »

Hi all you whistling loonies.
I was just talking to Dr McSherry and he said to mention that the band At First Light now have a new website.
www.atfirstlight.net
I think they will be more on the ball with the site stuff now they have a new CD "Tripswitch" to promote.
You can listen to all the tracks (mp3 clips)on the site.
I have put some clips up of some of the new material but if you get a chance to see them live ,go for it.
Phil.
ps.also you could email Donal and tell him what you think of the new site.
info@atfirstlight.net

Image[/img]
Last edited by Phil Hardy on Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

Half of the MP3 demos from tripswitch aren't working ;/
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I just listened to some of the sound clips. They are really nice.

I have a question though. On the home page it says Traditional Irish music at the top. I have just been listening seriously for a while, and I can see how some of the music is based on ITM, but it just doesn't seem to sound traditional to me. It isn't what I would have expected if someone said Irish Traditional Music. I guess part of it is the backup, but it seems like the tunes themselves (not talking about the Spanish tune, obviously) don't exactly sound traditional, although I can't exactly say why. I'm not commenting on the abilities of the musicians, they are excellent. I'm just wondering if this seems like traditional Irish music. It seems like there would be a better description for them to use so that people would know more what to expect. I don't know. As I say, I am a beginner at serious listening.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cynth wrote:I'm just wondering if this seems like traditional Irish music.
I don't think so. They're pushing the evelope, which is fine.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Okay, that is good to know. I think it is just fine for anyone to play what music they want to play. I have absolutely no problem there at all. And I think they sound like excellent musicians. I just wish there was a better way to describe what they are playing. Like Flook, whom I've heard in concert twice, doesn't really say Irish traditional music on their website. So you just get the idea that they are playing something kind of different and I like that. I guess it says Folk Music Award on the home page. Oh well, just wondering. No problems.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
murrough o'kane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by murrough o'kane »

Trip, all the MP3’s should be working now.

Cynth, The reason why I wrote “Irish Traditional Music” at the top left of the ‘At First Light’ site, was to give people who come across the site an idea of what the site is about, as the web / graphic design is pretty modern, so just to be blatant for users I have written this, as I have written on many websites, for the simple purpose of clarity, where in cases it my not be blatantly obvious what the websites are about, for example:

http://www.fourmenandadog.com
http://www.reeltrad.com
http://www.padraigrynne.com
http://www.tradcentre.com/oige
http://www.tradcentre.com/barrykerr
http://www.paulbradleyviolins.com

With regard to how to define traditional Irish music, the definition I have to traditional is:

“The passing down of elements of a culture from generation to generation, especially by oral communication.”

In my opinion, there are certainly “elements” of Irish trad music in the tracks composed by John and Dónal, namely, the title track “Tripswitch” and “Both Ghé” although arguably, they may sound a bit more modern or contemporary, but the “elements” are certainly there. Strictly speaking, in order for a track to be truly traditional, the composer/s of the track must have sadly passed away, some purists will argue, so this I suppose is a matter for the purists to argue. “Áille’s Arabesque” was also composed by John and ties in beautifully with “Tell her I am” also known as “Tart ar an Ól” (recorded by Michael Coleman 1891-1945 Disk 1)

To me, it just sounds like great music.

Ancestors of mine, such as Ruairi Dall Ó Cathain, Brighid Ó Catháin, Echlin Ó Catháin have written a lot of what is known as “the ancient music of Ireland” which is certainly very traditional, but you won’t hear it being played in many seisiúns.

In the sleeve notes of this very cool album cover, they have given a very detailed account to where the tunes have come from; where they picked them up, which certainly documents the tunes authenticity couple with the personal touch of where they got the tunes from. In my opinion, the tradition is in very safe hands with these guys, and it’s nice to see them getting recognition for their music, (which inevitably will become traditional) within their own lifetimes, and I’m looking forward to hearing more and more from them.

For ALL the audio samples from “Tripswitch” click on either the “recordings” or “new album” section of:

http://www.atfirstlight.net

Great stuff!

Murrough Ó Catháin
pop

Post by pop »

""To me, it just sounds like great music.""..absolutely.
If we were to kill the band this might make it traditional enough for our american friends. :lol:
you couldnt make it up priceless

Ann

Post by Ann »

I love the sound of these clips and will definitely be purchasing this CD. Like Cynth I wasn't sure how to categorize it either. But the great thing about folk music is that its a living art, meaning it changes with time. I like the direction in which it seems to be going as well as the old stuff.
murrough o'kane

Please don't go killing the bands... :o

It's not worth it so every single track can get labelled as "traditional" :P

Let's just call it good music, and let them play away and produce more quality recordings and good gigs :wink:
murrough o'kane

Yeah, it's an evolving tradition Ann, respect is given by said musicians to the same tradition.

Keep 'er lit!
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

pop wrote:""To me, it just sounds like great music.""..absolutely.
If we were to kill the band this might make it traditional enough for our american friends. :lol: . . .
murrough o'kane wrote: Please don't go killing the bands... :o
Still, "Kill the Band" would probably make a good album cover . . .

I agree with pop - very well done - great music! It sounds traditional enough for me, even though I am an American :D

Methinks I shall be buyin' some . . .
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

murrough o'kane wrote:Trip, all the MP3’s should be working now.

Cynth, The reason why I wrote “Irish Traditional Music” at the top left of the ‘At First Light’ site, was to give people who come across the site an idea of what the site is about, as the web / graphic design is pretty modern, so just to be blatant for users I have written this, as I have written on many websites, for the simple purpose of clarity, where in cases it my not be blatantly obvious what the websites are about, for example:

http://www.fourmenandadog.com
http://www.reeltrad.com
http://www.padraigrynne.com
http://www.tradcentre.com/oige
http://www.tradcentre.com/barrykerr
http://www.paulbradleyviolins.com

With regard to how to define traditional Irish music, the definition I have to traditional is:

“The passing down of elements of a culture from generation to generation, especially by oral communication.”

In my opinion, there are certainly “elements” of Irish trad music in the tracks composed by John and Dónal, namely, the title track “Tripswitch” and “Both Ghé” although arguably, they may sound a bit more modern or contemporary, but the “elements” are certainly there. Strictly speaking, in order for a track to be truly traditional, the composer/s of the track must have sadly passed away, some purists will argue, so this I suppose is a matter for the purists to argue. “Áille’s Arabesque” was also composed by John and ties in beautifully with “Tell her I am” also known as “Tart ar an Ól” (recorded by Michael Coleman 1891-1945 Disk 1)

To me, it just sounds like great music.

Ancestors of mine, such as Ruairi Dall Ó Cathain, Brighid Ó Catháin, Echlin Ó Catháin have written a lot of what is known as “the ancient music of Ireland” which is certainly very traditional, but you won’t hear it being played in many seisiúns.

In the sleeve notes of this very cool album cover, they have given a very detailed account to where the tunes have come from; where they picked them up, which certainly documents the tunes authenticity couple with the personal touch of where they got the tunes from. In my opinion, the tradition is in very safe hands with these guys, and it’s nice to see them getting recognition for their music, (which inevitably will become traditional) within their own lifetimes, and I’m looking forward to hearing more and more from them.

For ALL the audio samples from “Tripswitch” click on either the “recordings” or “new album” section of:

http://www.atfirstlight.net

Great stuff!

Murrough Ó Catháin
I really appreciate your very thoughtful and courteous answer to my question. I knew when I brought it up that some people would interpret it that I was condemning the music and musicians.

[pop, you are not really reading or interpreting what I said fairly. And since I'm the one that found that Challenger the Wonder Horse link for you (which you enjoyed very much as I recall), I think you should cut me some slack! :lol: ]

As I said, I thought the music was excellent and likewise the musicians. I have absolutely no problem with people playing all kinds of music and I actually like many kinds of music. My sole question concerned terminology and the distinguishing of traditional Irish music from music based on traditional music that doesn't seem quite traditional itself.

I can certainly see that someone could think a group was some kind of rock group or anything if there wasn't a label on the website linking them to Irish music. Then those people would feel they had been misled.

I know that the discussion of traditional could go on forever and that traditions evolve. People in old time music wrote tunes themselves and played them while they were alive (Seamus Ennis' father wrote a tune for a competition--The Morning Thrush, I believe) so the composer being dead can't really be the deciding factor I guess :lol: !

I don't know the answer to my question of is there a better name for this type of music---music based on a tradition but sort of different. I think maybe part of having a tradition (not just in music but in anything) is the back and forth between the conservative people and the less conservative people. Maybe this ongoing struggle or discussion is a way of filtering the inevitable changes or additions to a tradition in a way that keeps the essential parts of a tradition intact. I don't know.

The website is nice and I will listen to more of the sound clips. Thank you again for your response. I am not at all an authority on Irish music, I have just begun my real listening. I listen to the old time style and find that nothing can do the same thing for me. But I am that way with American music---I love bluegrass, I don't care for newgrass---so it is just my preference, but it is certainly not a condemnation of musicians who play other things. I know of many brilliant musicians who simply need to play something other than old style music.
pop

Post by pop »

shadeclan wrote:
pop wrote:""To me, it just sounds like great music.""..absolutely.
If we were to kill the band this might make it traditional enough for our american friends. :lol: . . .
murrough o'kane wrote: Please don't go killing the bands... :o
Still, "Kill the Band" would probably make a good album cover . . .

I agree with pop - very well done - great music! It sounds traditional enough for me, even though I am an American :D

Methinks I shall be buyin' some . . .
Its only a bit of fun :wink:
Top tunes i reckon, il be buying it too.
pop

Post by pop »

For the record i think cynth is a nice girl :) i was just teasing.Fantastic that you took it in the right spirit,
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

pop wrote:For the record i think cynth is a nice girl :) i was just teasing.Fantastic that you took it in the right spirit,
:) I'm glad I took it right too. I just wish I was still a girl. :lol: