Pretty snakes

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Pretty snakes

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

For those herpies out there, which is you favorite snake? Pictures and a brief descrotion please.

Mine? The Gaboon Viper:

They are very docile animals, but very toxic.
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

Invisible ones, dead ones, and this one:

Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I'm from Ireland. What is a "snake"?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Uh. I. Uh. Don't. Snakes. Please. Uh. I'm ok. Let me sit.down. Maybe if I could just get a glass of water. I think I'm ok but kf/
djm

Post by djm »

I've always been partial to the many colour variations of milk snakes. Couldn't find web pictures of the ones I like, but here's a couple just to get an idea:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I can't say I have a favorite snake..i think they're all pretty cool in general.

here's a neat piebald python

This is a naturally occuring recessive genetic trait, making pythons that are mostly all white, to pythons with only a splash of white here and there. There's some neat snake information here:
http://www.ballpython.com/morph.php?morph=piebald
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

"Albino" corn snake. . .sweeeeeet!

Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Plumber's snake
Benevolent and useful.

My wife has a corn snake, they are native to this part of the country, non poisonous and like to snuggle around your neck to warm up (this feels nice and cool in the summer). Keep the tail away from belt loops or you will have a tough time removing her.

Djm those look so cool where can I get the bottom one?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

evil. bite. No. please
djm

Post by djm »

ID10T wrote:where can I get the bottom one?
That's a Mexican milk snake. There are many variations around the world, with some really remarkable colour combinations. I don't have any links to the breeders. You'd have to have a local pet shop who is connected. A couple here in my town seem to get a good variety of milk snakes.

I should point out that I don't actually keep any herps myself, but if I did, I would start out with cameleons, which are fascinating to me.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

When I lived in Perth, Western Australia, I stayed for 3 months in an old wooden house a little outside of the city. For the first few weeks, I used to hear mice scuttling up between the walls and through the attic. Kept me awake all night. Then, it all stopped suddenly, never to start again (at least while I lived there). I told this to the guys at work and one of them replied - "It's probably 'cause you got a dugite". I said - "No, it's a Toyota".

I never got to see the dugite, but I've always been grateful to it for getting rid of the mice.

PJ
emmline

Post by emmline »

JES, that Gaboon is a cool looking critter, but I think I could do without venomous.
If I could bear to have another pet in my house I'd let the kid have some kind of snake, but the kid has so little common sense that I'd fear for the snake's safety.
mukade

Post by mukade »

Habuzake - poisonous snake sake.

Only $260 for this jar.

Mukade
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Another of my favorites, the Puff Adder.

...and the Florida Cottonmouth (water moccasin). I run across these guys from time to time when I am out looking for Arundo Donax. Beautiful animals. Contrary to popular opinion, they won't chase you. Point of fact, they're pretty darn quick to get out of your way.

Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Hmmm I found the skin of one of these next to my house once - it was 8 foot long:
The house I am living in now has about 20 of these in the back yard and as many under the house itself:
They live in holes and only the males come out to mate during the summer or after heavy rain - Here is a male - i have him in a jar to show my kiddie what to watch out for. THere is no other spider that walks like these - they have an unmistakable air of dominance, when they come into the house they will walk right in the middle of the space in a very straight line. Fortunately they don't like to climb. I found where this one came in and blocked it up:
(Attrax versuta) These are the most toxic spiders on the planet.
They have a toxin that is only harmful to humans and monkeys - it has been found to be a cocktail of specific insect killers. If I had a cat or a snake it would be perfectly safe. THe one I have in the jar is just a little one a bit bigger than an Oreo with his legs outstreatched, but one of the females in the yard has a leg spread as wide as your hand. We don't leave our boots outside.

Edited to say: Oh, by the way - when they do that 2-legs-in-the-air thing, like in the pic, it means they are cranky and getting ready to jump - they can jump up to 2 metres. Legend has it that they can bite through a leather boot but that's probably the less venemous attrax robustus.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com