Stereotypes and 1950s advertising

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Stereotypes and 1950s advertising

Post by izzarina »

Emm's bad word thread got me thinking, and I thought it would be cool to post ads from the 1950s that seemed to have shaped our thinking into certain stereotypes. The quintessential housewife seems to come to mind here. Here's an example (although not the best). Notice the apron, which indicates she's been working all day, and yet she still looks spectacular: make up perfect, hair in place.....I'll bet she'll even have supper on the table at 5pm sharp! ;)

So go ahead, share some ads that seem to have shaped our thinking, even now. I think it'll be interesting.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

This one seems rather accurate... don't men do just about everything in just their skivvies? :lol:

izzarina

Post by izzarina »

hehehehe..... :wink:

sorry...I'm getting a bit carried away now, I think. :lol:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Just one more...I'm on a roll. Note how perfect Mom looks...her nails are even well manicured :lol: I love ads from the 50s

Jack

Post by Jack »

I fear I don't have as much access to 1950s magazines as you apparently do. :P
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Cranberry wrote:I fear I don't have as much access to 1950s magazines as you apparently do. :P
you have as much access as I do...it just takes a Google search ;)
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Reasonable person
Walden
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

This one seems rather accurate... don't men do just about everything in just their skivvies? lol
These are called 'tighty-whities' nowadays.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I feel like this is Nancy Drew and Ned Nickerson has finally proposed to her. :lol:
She can quite solving those silly mysteries now and become a real woman.

http://www.lileks.com/institute/perm/gallery2/4.html
This is from James Lilek's fabulous website.
The fifties ads are funny but there is something poignant about them.
Perhaps it is my age that sees them that way. Everyone is so healthy-looking, and hopeful, and well-groomed.
They don't know what's ahead.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

While we're being politically incorrect, the Lysol feminine hygeine ads from the 50's are worthy of mention.

Here's a link to one of them: http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=68001820&size=o

How's that for stereotyping housewives? :P
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: Oh dear, I had no idea I was, well,..errr...icky! Those poor women!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Reasonable person
Walden
Jack

Post by Jack »

Does this count?

What about this?

I wanna get a copy of that...just to see what it says, of course--I don't really care much for revolting, and I'm not a communist either.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Ain't we got fun. As if the notion of advising women to douche with Lysol weren't bad enough, while searching around I found ads cheerfully urging, ehrm, homemakers to wash their pots and pans with Drano. But they were from the 1940s so I had to pass them up. Now then:

A Dramatized Story That Could Happen To You!

This must have confused the innocent 1950s consumers. They might have been quite ready to believe that marital conflict is actually caused by vitamin-poor diets...but if this truly Could Happen To Them, then why the diffident little disclaimer under the steamy photo: "Posed by professional models"? There goes your willing suspension of disbelief, right out the window, along with the 25 cents.

The nattily attired 50s family shops for Vaseline together. Heart-warming, isn't it? Especially the way mother and daughter proudly hold high their Blue Seal packages, pointing at them ecstatically as though this proves the Rapture is nigh.

Scotties keep cold germs from spreading. Scotties are, in fact, sneeze-proof. What more need I say?

If I had only realized long ago that etiquette required me to place rolls of toilet tissue on little pedestals throughout my home, my social life would have been so much more fulfilling. Still, it's never too late. Anyone know where I can get a good price on 75 yards of pale-pink tulle...and a crinoline?
Jack

Post by Jack »

Well, I have seen green and blue Kleenex before. If I remember correctly, it smelled like flowers. Or something.