Crucial Technology is now on my fecal roster

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Rod Sprague
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Crucial Technology is now on my fecal roster

Post by Rod Sprague »

I purchased a Crucial Technology Gizmo 128MB drive and went to the web site to find a MacroShaft Windows 98 driver. I managed to track down the fact they have arbitrarily decided not to supply one. I have arbitrarily placed them on my fecal roster. Does anyone know of an inexpensive “Thumb” type drive that does have a downloadable 98 driver, so I can use it before I manage to switch over to Linix (something I intended to do for a while, anyway. With what MacroShaft has put me through, it’s now personal between me and Bill!) and I can give my money to a company that is more deserving of my hard earned cash?
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

It's not Bill's fault you still use 98. :P
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
djm

Post by djm »

Its not MS's responsibility to provide a driver for the unit you bought. That is the responsibility of the maker of the drive. If the unit came out after Win98 was already MD'd then it is not likely the maker would go back in history to provide an out of date driver for an out of date OS.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Windows 98? It's 2006, you know. :lol:
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

Winblows 98 and Offal 2000 gave me sh*t from the beginning. Downloading MacroShaft patches only seemed to compound the problem. The programs are counterintuitive, many of the programs never have run, even after downloading all the patches, and my computer runs more slowly than the Mac Classic I had access to that could do everything faster and more efficiently than my computer. The only deficiencies the Mac had was that it was monochrome and could not connect to the net. I simply refuse to ever let MacroShaft ever make money off me again. Unfortunately, The only virtue now with Apples is that they don’t come with MacroShaft operating systems, so I am going to switch over to Linix. Due to all the grief MacroShaft has put me through, without any way to get my money back, it is personal between me and Bill. If I ever meet Bill Gates in person, I will pull on the skinny part of his tie so he chokes and his head is level with my shoulder and I will give him a roundhouse punch that will break his lower jaw. He may be able to ruin me financially, but at least I will be a folk hero. For some bizarre reason, the public cannot figure out that MacroShaft has sold them a bill of goods and the computer industry practices bate and switch tactics that would get most company executives thrown in jail. If a company in any other industry sold equally expensive products as defective as MacroShaft products, they would go out of business or get into serious legal trouble. They also love to make things obsolete before their time, so I cannot find a driver for the memory module that seemed like a good deal at the time.
Last edited by Rod Sprague on Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

The Lexar Jumpdrive has a driver available for 98SE.

I have used these; they are reliable and fast.

--James
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

Thankyou, James.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

While I will readily agree that microsoft products in general blow chunks, the fact that you're running a not only outdated but wholly obsolete operating system is the main reason you have compatibility issues with modern hardware and software. Nobody supports windows 98 anymore because almost nobody uses it anymore. At least switch to windows 2000. Don't switch to XP home edition though, because it's a piece of crap.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

A friend of mine keeps telling me he is putting together a computer that he will load 2000 on to. I just find it odd that you can still get parts and fuel for a Model A Ford, but many companies can’t be bothered to write drivers for an eight-year-old operating system that doesn’t seem to be that much worse than what we have now.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Rod Sprague wrote:A friend of mine keeps telling me he is putting together a computer that he will load 2000 on to. I just find it odd that you can still get parts and fuel for a Model A Ford, but many companies can’t be bothered to write drivers for an eight-year-old operating system that doesn’t seem to be that much worse than what we have now.
98SE has serious security issues and needs to be behind a hardware firewall.

However, on the flip side, load both 98 and XP on the same box (dual-boot). Get used to XP.

Then flip over to the 98 side and watch that mutha grow wings and FLY. :party:

--James
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

djm wrote:Its not MS's responsibility to provide a driver for the unit you bought. That is the responsibility of the maker of the drive. If the unit came out after Win98 was already MD'd then it is not likely the maker would go back in history to provide an out of date driver for an out of date OS.

djm
Therein lies the evil, that a man produces a product and renders it obsolete in less than a decade that he may extract more money in requiring every man and his dog to purchase new underlying software, or else be left in the dark as all things go past, and the obsolete computer ceases to function.
Reasonable person
Walden
Congratulations

Walden wrote:
djm wrote:Its not MS's responsibility to provide a driver for the unit you bought. That is the responsibility of the maker of the drive. If the unit came out after Win98 was already MD'd then it is not likely the maker would go back in history to provide an out of date driver for an out of date OS.

djm
Therein lies the evil, that a man produces a product and renders it obsolete in less than a decade that he may extract more money in requiring every man and his dog to purchase new underlying software, or else be left in the dark as all things go past, and the obsolete computer ceases to function.
I don't think it's quite so insidious as you make it out, Walden. There is no reason why a person who is using an old computer for things that the old computer can do should ever have any problem or need to upgrade. They can continue to use their computer in this fashion until... well, until the hardware gives out.

The problem arises as soon as they want to put something new on it. In this case, a flash drive that was not intended to be used on 98. If you want to use new hardware, you're going to have to buy new software. This is the way of things.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Walden wrote:

djm
I 'spose you're still havin a bit of a problem with adding that fuel injector to your model A? :wink:

just paraphrasing the above
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Congratulations wrote: This is the way of things.
Yes. The money-grubbing way of things.
Reasonable person
Walden
Congratulations

Walden wrote:
Congratulations wrote: This is the way of things.
Yes. The money-grubbing way of things.
:P