Bergen hoping to set a world record in recorder squeaking

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ostekjeks
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bergen hoping to set a world record in recorder squeaking

Post by Ostekjeks »

Tomorrow, my home town is planning to gather over 3500 recorders (and enough people to play them) and bring the worst nightmare ever to life, at least to my ears! The current record is said to be held by Japan, and tomorrow these students will se if they can beat it. I'm glad I won't be close by.

Has anybody ever heard of something like this? What do you think?
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

St John's, Newfoundland, did the same thing with accordions last August. Got just shy of 1000 people playing the same tune for five minutes. My wife and I were disappointed we couldn't be there playing along, though I imagine the din was awful.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
ashboomstick

Re: Bergen hoping to set a world record in recorder squeakin

Post by ashboomstick »

Ostekjeks wrote:Has anybody ever heard of something like this? What do you think?
I don't think anyone could...and survive! :D

p.s.- I went to Bergen a couple of years ago when I was in the Navy. Loved it! (much more so than Tromso) And do they really put formaldehyde in the Hansa there? I got the worst hangover in my life drinking that stuff!! :boggle:
"Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"
Bridges-PdP

Is it recorders...

Post by Bridges-PdP »

or the idea of 3500 people trying to play anthing 'together' regardless of the instrument?

Does the community love the recorder as an instrument or are they just trying to get some kind of world record status?

News Flash...This just in....3500 people standing side-by-side each stabbed the person to their left in the eye with a conical bore tinwhistle. The man on the far right end had this to say, "That's gotta be the biggest gougin' I ever saw. One fer the record books."

Hmm...maybe recorders aren't such a bad idea after all.

:wink:
Scott Bridges

Auxilio ab alto
Ostekjeks

Re: Bergen hoping to set a world record in recorder squeakin

Post by Ostekjeks »

ashboomstick wrote:p.s.- I went to Bergen a couple of years ago when I was in the Navy. Loved it! (much more so than Tromso) And do they really put formaldehyde in the Hansa there? I got the worst hangover in my life drinking that stuff!! :boggle:
It's a lovely city, for sure. You were in the navy? Probably at Haakonsvern, then? I live in the neighbourhood. I don't know what they'd put in your beer, but you could surely get a shock by just looking at the price...
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Ha ha! I thought Bergen in the subject was a misspelling for Bergin, as in Mary Bergin :lol:
I couldn't imagine why she would be squeaking a recorder!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Ostekjeks

Post by Ostekjeks »

brewerpaul wrote:Ha ha! I thought Bergen in the subject was a misspelling for Bergin, as in Mary Bergin :lol:
I couldn't imagine why she would be squeaking a recorder!
Would you look at that! What a nice almost-ambiguity... :lol:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

What do I think? I think it sounds fun! I don't hate recorders and I would be very interested to see if these 3500 people can get their act together. You come from a place where things happen. The biggest excitement here is watching the corn grow in the summer :lol: . There is even a website for it.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Sliabh Luachra

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

Cynth wrote:What do I think? I think it sounds fun! I don't hate recorders and I would be very interested to see if these 3500 people can get their act together. You come from a place where things happen. The biggest excitement here is watching the corn grow in the summer :lol: . There is even a website for it.
So. . . Cynth . . . what's the url? :D

Mark
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Sliabh Luachra wrote:
Cynth wrote:What do I think? I think it sounds fun! I don't hate recorders and I would be very interested to see if these 3500 people can get their act together. You come from a place where things happen. The biggest excitement here is watching the corn grow in the summer :lol: . There is even a website for it.
So. . . Cynth . . . what's the url? :D

Mark
http://www.iowafarmertoday.com/corn_cam/

The very top picture is the actual corn cam. It isn't running now because the corn isn't planted. It won't start up until May or so. The other pictures are from previous years. HA!!! You could always go to the corn borer or root worm websites to bone up on your diseases before the growing season starts. :lol:

Actually, there is a certain point when the corn is coming up that is absolutely beautiful. When you are driving and the sprouts are so tiny that you aren't sure they are really there. There's this sort of slight green flicker when you pass the rows at a certain angle that is almost gone before you see it. And it does grow very fast at first.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

And whose fault is it that you don't have anything FUN to do? Hmmm?

Who got an offer of an all-expense-paid trip to FLORIDA, the Sun 'n' Fun capital of the universe?

And who turned it down, citing the menace of . . . a baby alligator?

You'll have to excuse me . . . I'm rushing to go to Orlando . . . and I still need to attach the bug screen to my car . . .
Last edited by Lambchop on Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ostekjeks

Re: Is it recorders...

Post by Ostekjeks »

Bridges-PdP wrote:or the idea of 3500 people trying to play anthing 'together' regardless of the instrument?
I would certainly not think so. There isn't even a session around here!
Bridges-PdP wrote:Does the community love the recorder as an instrument or are they just trying to get some kind of world record status?
This is an arrangement by a group of students. It's just a record breaking attempt.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Lambchop wrote:
And whose fault is it that you don't have anything FUN to do? Hmmm?

Who got an offer of an all-expense-paid trip to FLORIDA, the Sun 'n' Fun capital of the universe?

And who turned it down, citing the menace of . . . a hatchling alligator?

You'll have to excuse me . . . I'm rushing to go to Orlando . . . and I still need to attach the bug screen to my car . . .
:lol: Lamby, did you put something funny in your tea this morning? I can fully imagine turning down an all-expense-paid trip to Florida, but did someone actually offer me one? :boggle: The last free thing I got was a frozen turkey from the Popeye Cartoon Show.
sweet potato
Tell us something.: I am here to change my password and also to see what the market may look like should I decide to sell my lovely Sam Murray flute.

Post by sweet potato »

Hei Ostekjeks,

I'll be listening tomorrow - I'll let you know if I can hear them all the way up here at the end of the Sognefjord! :boggle:

Laura
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I only participated in one world record breaking event - about 10 years ago now. And I wasn't playing anything....

...now I wonder, whats the record for whistling sea kayakers rafted together?

Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.