Now that you mention ear plugs...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Now that you mention ear plugs...

Post by PhilO »

The suggestion for ear plugs came up in the Susato thread. I've noticed on occasion that my playing causes some ear discomfort for me (as I'm sure it does for others) and plugs seem like a really good idea for practice. Any specific type or brand that people use for music?

Oh, and just for the record, although Susato is not my favorite, I do like them, esp. my very old D, C, Bflat set. That Kevin Crawford clip on Phil's site - wow!

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

I don't remember the brand, but I got some like these or these
which attenuate throughout the spectrum, so the relative volume
of all frequencies are preserved.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Second the first link. ;) I have some of those, they're good.
/Bloomfield
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Thirded, those were the plugs I used when I played Bagpipes. They were great, although I could not hear the rest of the Pipe Band with them in.
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I went to a company that specializes in hearing aids. They made silicon molds of my ears. I bought two filters, a 15 and a 25. I used the 25 when my hyperacuasis (spelling) was bad...that's sensitivity to all sounds BTW. Now that I'm over that I use the 15.

If your ears are felling funny when playing there is damage being done. I was lucky in that I got permanent ringing in the ears, which prompted me to take action. If it had had the effect of hurting my hearing I might have gone on for some time and not noticed, and ended up deaf.
Short bio: 1952-
dapple

Post by dapple »

Here’s a link to a site with a large selection from various makers:

http://store.yahoo.com/earplugstore/profmusearpl1.html
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

fearfaoin wrote:I don't remember the brand, but I got some like these or these
which attenuate throughout the spectrum, so the relative volume
of all frequencies are preserved.
Thanks; help is on the way.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Kar

Post by Kar »

I am a BIG fan of earplugs and I have to say, they are not just for loud sessions or practicing those higher octaves.

People often don't realize how much damage is done to their ears from many "everyday" noises - such as trucks passing you on the freeway (if the windows are rolled down) and other city noises. Movies are played at unbelieveably high volumes, and subways can make you go deaf. We all know about the rock concert thing.

I carry a pair of soft, shaped foam plugs (Heros makes a good brand) and put them in whenever I am being exposed to sound that is either too loud OR unwanted. You can hear most movies perfectly even with earplugs in.

I like to think I am saving my hearing for later, so I can still enjoy opera at 80!
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Noise is a big problem in NYC and probably any big city, and the Mayor has with the City Council passed some ordinances in an effort to abate the ongoing din. My pet peeves are two - first the blasted horn honkers, bus drivers at the front of the enmity line. Second are the blasted leaf blowers - I've actually been reduced to screaming (adding to the din I suppose) out the window "Get a f---ing rake!" Imagine jet engine roars to move some leaves - what have we come to? Shhhh....let's all keep it down.....except for the sound of whistles, of course. :)

Philo
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I just bumped into this thread (usually hang out in the Uilleann pipe forum). Thanks for the links. When there are 6 to 8 concert sets being played, it gets LOUD. I ws wishing for plugs a few weeks ago.
regor

Post by regor »

I just decided to get myself a pair of Etymotic Musician ER15 earplugs. I actually find that playing with earplugs improves my playing significantly, stangely enough. So although these earplugs aren't exactly inexpensive (actual more expensive than most of my whistles), I am confident that it will increase my enjoyment as well as protect my hearing, and in this case prevention is cheaper than the cure by a factor 10.
regor

Post by regor »

I just decided to get myself a pair of Etymotic Musician ER15 earplugs. I actually find that playing with earplugs improves my playing significantly, stangely enough. So although these earplugs aren't exactly inexpensive (actual more expensive than most of my whistles), I am confident that it will increase my enjoyment as well as protect my hearing, and in this case prevention is cheaper than the cure by a factor 10.