POLL: Did you get a receipt from your pipemaker?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
KAD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

POLL: Did you get a receipt from your pipemaker?

Post by KAD »

Two recent threads -- the fight over ivory billiard balls and CITES, the recurring question about documenting ownership of pipes when you travel -- and my own musings about insurance got me to wondering how many of my fellow forum frequenters actually got a written receipt for pipes purchased directly from a pipemaker.

I was naive enough, when I purchased my first set, not to ask for a receipt. Not a mistake I will make again.

Thus my question. I don't seem actually to be able to make the poll option work, though, so I guess you'll just have to reply the old-fashioned way, if you choose to be so gracious.

KAD
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

What does the receipt get you?
Doogie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doogie »

Jim McGuire wrote:What does the receipt get you?
I guess you could prove to your insurance company how much you paid for you instrument incase of fire or theft.

If you pay by credit card/ check/ paypal then thats your reciept. Anything other than sending cash in the mail which most people don't do.

:)
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

An invoice will get you off the hook when travelling with a new-ish set of pipes and customs insisting on charging you for VAT etc. Helped me a few times during the 1980s.
carel

Post by carel »

I have one.
For the special instrument insurance
It is also good when traveling across borders
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

You would always need a current valuation. Price of pipes has gone up very fast. Some pipemakers do not like issuing receipts due to personal tax liability. Pipes are usually not marked, certainly without a model number, so matching a receipt to what you are carrying is a bit pointless. If they would buy that at Customs, they'd buy an explanation. Of course, NO duties whatsover - bagpipes are completely exempt - are due for bagpipes coming into the US.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Some pipemakers, like Froment, engrave their name, date, and location on the main stock plus the customer's name. That's all that's required -- in my mind. Any exchange of money for merchandise deserves some kind of proof of purchase. I seem to remember a couple instances where a reciept for the downpayment would have been very useful.
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

Jim McGuire wrote:Of course, NO duties whatsover - bagpipes are completely exempt - are due for bagpipes coming into the US.
US customs charged me duty on a set of pipes from Canada. They based it upon the insurance, and they clearly understood that they were bagpipes. I even tried to argue that they were being repaired but they wanted their $260 or no pipes. I paid.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa wrote:
Jim McGuire wrote:Of course, NO duties whatsover - bagpipes are completely exempt - are due for bagpipes coming into the US.
US customs charged me duty on a set of pipes from Canada. They based it upon the insurance, and they clearly understood that they were bagpipes. I even tried to argue that they were being repaired but they wanted their $260 or no pipes. I paid.
This keeps coming us. There's a difference between duty and sales taxes. Items which are often exempt from duty will be subject to sales tax when imported.
PJ
Doogie

Post by Doogie »

I've seen the same problem. Sent a set of Old Hendersons to Dunbars to have them remounted and had trouble getting them back through customs. They held them for about 2-3 weeks and after many phone calls I got them without paying anything...
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

tax

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

I think that if you are sending for repair, you need to have a receipt to prove it and shipping documentation for initial trip to the pipemaker. If you are buying, you won't have this unless someone wants to lie about it and make up dummy receipts. I don't think that this is the wisest way to deal with customs and could result in deeper problens if the seller isn't willing to cooperate with the fraud. Duty into the US for example is about 4% I think, and if they are holding your goods, you haven't any leverage.

ALso, if you have an old set with ivory, you just want to pay up and get them delivered. The longer they sit and the more arguing that you do, the more trouble that you invite if they decide to open the box to take a look at the goods and try to find evidence of fresh repair work, and find instead, ivory mounts and no CITES certificate.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

For repair, US Customs wants a percentage of the repair cost. You'll need to document the item on the way out of the country and, of course, on the way in the country.
Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall »

I got a handwritten receipt from my pipes maker, for what it's worth. Homeowner's insurance company appreciated it/required it.
Rick
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I got a good recipe for homemade brown bread and a lentil stew that is just to die for!

St. Paddy.