Oh, WOW! 1st "public appearance!"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kendra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kendra »

I played for our local food bank this morning - what a delightful if absolutely, totally frightening experience. It's the first time I've played more than one song for more than one person (not including myself of course) and my neighbors (who've said they like it but I always think are just being polite).

I was a bit discombobulated by people coming and going through the door behind me and the kitchen noises, but I just kept on, and when I made a mistake (which was very often), I acted like it was on purpose and sort of "adjusted" the tune so the mistake kind of fit; since I played mostly slow airs and American ballads, that was pretty easy to do.

I thought I played very poorly, but people actually stayed to listen after they got their food and told me how "pretty" the music was. Actually, though, I think that is the result of my living in a small town where the closest thing to a whistle anybody has heard is a soprano recorder played by second graders, and we know how well THAT trains the ear.

Anyway, it was my second major hurdle, the first being to play the whistle in the first place instead of drums or something, and I am pleased with myself. All those hours of practice DO pay off.
<font size="small"><marquee>But
I'm just a beginner, so what do I
know...... </marquee></font>
PATI

Post by PATI »

My CONGRATULAIONS! :smile:))
in my country we do not play whistles at all... but hope I'll be the first one:))

PATI
<b>Hopelessly addicted
Helplessly attracted
Chemically reacted
Naturally we acted</b>
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Good on you, grrl!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

On 2002-04-24 14:38, Kendra wrote:

. . . I thought I played very poorly, but people actually stayed to listen after they got their food and told me how "pretty" the music was.
. . .
Congrats on your first performance! I haven't played in public in years (since long before I took up the whistle), but I always loved the adrenaline rush. Talking before crowds has taken its place, although a scientific conference is nowhere near as fun as a concert.

I know what you mean about not playing your best but collecting kudos from the crowd. I think the novelty of the whistle (or lap dulcimer in my case) accounts for some of it. I would add, though, that you're probably your own worst critic. The people listening come away remembering the good things, while a few missed phrases may stand out in your memory.

Also, good on you for playing at a food bank! You brightened the day for patrons who need it and volunteers who deserve it.

Charlie
ndjr

Post by ndjr »

On 2002-04-24 14:56, chas wrote:
I would add, though, that you're probably your own worst critic. The people listening come away remembering the good things, while a few missed phrases may stand out in your memory.
Absolutely! I always hear the difference between what I wanted to do and what I actually did.

Good for you, Kendra! Keep at it; it gets easier.
Best regards,

Neil Dickey
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Kendra,
Cheers Image, Way to go Image.
Isn't it cool when others share how you ...

<font size=-1>[ I can't believe I made a spelling error in a 12 word post.... duh.]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2002-04-24 15:13 ]</font>
DanD

Post by DanD »

Anyway, it was my second major hurdle, the first being to play the whistle in the first place instead of drums or something, and I am pleased with myself. All those hours of practice DO pay off.
Next stop Carniege Hall!! :smile:
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

I thought I played very poorly, but people actually stayed to listen after they got their food and told me how "pretty" the music was. Actually, though, I think that is the result of my living in a small town where the closest thing to a whistle anybody has heard is a soprano recorder played by second graders, and we know how well THAT trains the ear.
First, Contratulations!!!!!!!!

You know, the thing Im finding about playing in public is that our expectations as whistlers are almost always a million times more stringent than what makes normal listeners happy.

In consideration of my neighbors, Ive gotten in the habit of practicing in public parks and walking along the beach (I live in Florida, which is one big beach). Dont get me wrong, I'm no Tony Higgins. I only started serious playing about a month ago, and quite frankly you would all say that my whistling really sucks, but even so I'm amazed at how many people go out of their way to tell me how much they enjoy hearing the music. In one case a wedding rehearsal was going on nearby and the photographer ran over an insisted that I play for them as they rehearsed the wedding...and even though I played the same tune over and over again they all loved it.

So Ive learned that playing in public is only as traumatic as you want to make it, and its amazing how many opportunities you have to play in public...just go outside!

Anyway, I hope you'll be performing again soon!!!!!!!

Kevin
AdrienneB
Tell us something.: Just returning after a long absence to update a profile that's too old to be served a kids' meal. :)

Post by AdrienneB »

Way cool! You're right, playing for others is quite a different experience than playing alone -- and it can bring on quite a rush.

The joy in music is meant to be shared; keep it up.

Adrienne
(right down the road from you, in Mesa)
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thank you, Kind People, for your kudos and words of encouragement. Next stop, Carnegie Hall? I think not. Next stop is a poetry reading at the local library :smile: But it IS a "next stop."

This really was a major hurdle for me. I've loved music since I was a kid and have played lots of different instruments, but always in closeted rooms and only for myself. I grew up in a family that hated music and convinced me it was an insane waste of time; it's oh, sooo nice to know that I can now share with others something that makes me-myself extremely happy, no matter how harsh a critic I am. So, thanks again for responding so warmly to my post.
<font size="small"><marquee>But
I'm just a beginner, so what do I
know...... </marquee></font>
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Congrats to you Kendra!!

I remember my first concert... it was a day to remember, and it is truly a unique experience.
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

Excellent job Kendra!
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Good for you, Kendra! Not just that you played in public, but playing for the food bank, and the upcoming gig at the public library. It sounds like you're using your music for the greater good, and that's fantastic! I played a late St. Patrick's day party at our county psychiatric hospital, and it was so wonderful, and so well received, I was elated for days. Keep up the good works!
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Well done Kendra!

Playing in the hearing of even one supportive listener is still pretty nerve wracking for me, so congratulations on such a good performance.

I actually joined in a session a couple of weeks back, but was only able to play two polkas the whole time, and those because my teacher started them off.

The mad fiddler from Donegal isn't going to be there for the next couple of weeks though, so maybe they'll play tunes at a speed I can cope with!

Well done again!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Good for you, Kendra! The first time is always the hardest. Unless there is some sort of public ordinance against it, try playing in a public park some time. You'll be amazed how many people come up to you and compliment you, even if you think you are playing terribly. It's a great way to get used to playing in public.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!