Boxwood Rudall & Rose on Ebay!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Boxwood Rudall & Rose on Ebay!

Post by Jon C. »

R&R alert!
Patrick Olwell is selling his boxwood Rudall & Rose on ebay.
First Rudall that I have seen with a short foot.
I better go buy some lotto tickets...
Drool!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

A cutie.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

:o

IM PRES SIVE!

there is someone who buy souls in here?-->I need money! :D
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hmm, there was a keyed Boxwood Rudall that went trough our shop about 2 years ago. It was an unusual situation as I recall, in that the owner wanted us to do some repair work on the instrument, and then it was going to Olwell. I wonder if this is that same flute?

Loren
Last edited by Loren on Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Jon - You probably don't need to save too much. I'd guess it wouldn't go for much more than $960 or so...I mean it's an old flute, and the polish is all worn off so it's that light brown color. Not nearly as good or pretty as those nice as those keyed "Crystal" flutes on eBay right now.

Eric
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Loren wrote:Hmm, there was a keyed Boxwood Rudall that went trough our shop about 2 years ago. It was an unusual situation as I recall, in that the owner wanted us to do some repair work in the instrument, and then it was going to Olwell. I wonder if this is that same flute?
I suspect so. A couple of years ago, I tried a flute of that description that belonged to a friend. It had a leak, and he sent it to "a company in Boston with a good reputation who had worked on it before," and he traded it to Olwell. I had thought that one was a six-key, but I'm probably mis-remembering.

It's quite a bit lighter than most Rudalls; a real sweetie to hold.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

chas wrote:
Loren wrote:Hmm, there was a keyed Boxwood Rudall that went trough our shop about 2 years ago. It was an unusual situation as I recall, in that the owner wanted us to do some repair work in the instrument, and then it was going to Olwell. I wonder if this is that same flute?
I suspect so. A couple of years ago, I tried a flute of that description that belonged to a friend. It had a leak, and he sent it to "a company in Boston with a good reputation who had worked on it before," and he traded it to Olwell. I had thought that one was a six-key, but I'm probably mis-remembering.
Yup, that sounds about right, although I seem to recall the flute not being a 6 key, but I could be mis-remembering as well! :lol:

Loren
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Who's going to win it? Migoya or Kirby?
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Charlie,

Yup, that's the flute: I took a close look at the photos and recognized the barrel/ring cracks. I remember thinking that I would have been happier dealing with the repair differently, or even making a new barrel and Ivory rings, because we had the proper materials and could have matched the colors quite well. However I wasn't given an option, and so I reglued the crack in that rather inelegant fashion you see in the photo, as I was instructed to do. Sealed the leaks, but certainly wasn't pretty.

Loren
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

AaronMalcomb wrote:Who's going to win it? Migoya or Kirby?
I am forwarding this message from Andrew:
You might tell them that it won't be me.
Four key flutes were only for poor beginners by those days.
I don't think I need any more.
A nice 8 key boxwood Rudall I would always fancy. I love them above all others, and I have only one.
Regards,

Andrew
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Ah well, good to see that even when someone is banned, they can simply have someone else post for them. Bravo.

Loren
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Anyway, I for one am sorry Andrew is gone, but he is easy to keep in touch with!!!!

Loren, did you play the flute? How did it sound?
Inquiring minds want to know :party:

Mary
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I have such a boxwood Rudall that Andrew covets. I should call him. :)
And Olwell's notes on eBay aren't exactly accurate. Rudall played an 8key boxwood flute to the end of his life, although according to his own writings to Boehm, he had a personal flute of that type that he liked quite a lot.
He was already a man of ~40 years old when he began the firm.

The Olwell-owned Rudall is unique, yes.
Note, though, that the case is not original.
My catalogue notes show it sold at Sotheby's quite a few years ago in a "soft, pistol-style case"
What became of that case, however, is anyone's guess.
Nevertheless.....it should go for a better-than-fair price, I think.
But who knows with these things. Up and down and sideways.

dm
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

About 12 hours to go....

:party:
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:Loren, did you play the flute? How did it sound?
Inquiring minds want to know :party:

Mary

Whoops, sorry Mary, I missed this when you first posted it.

Yes, I did play the flute a fair bit, as I was the one charged with doing the repair work when the instrument come into the shop. However I don't think it would be fair for me to offer a personal (and certainly subjective) opinion on how the flute sounds and plays at this time (while the auction is in progress.) For two reasons:

1) On a professional level, I think it would not be a good precedent to set -Let's say you sent a flute to me for repair/restoration work, and you later decide to sell it on ebay. I think you'd not be terribly happy with me if I then publicly posted stating that I didn't like the SOUND of the flute. I do feel it's okay to talk about the technical aspects of a repair work done on an instrument, and give my opinion on related issues though, since that's all pretty straight forward, and not terribly subjective in nature.

2) The flute has been in Patrick Olwell's hands for some time now, and he may, or may not, have worked on the flute, so the instrument could very well play and sound differently than when it was on my bench.

In this case, I think anyone seriously interested would contact Mr. Olwell directly, with their questions, and then (rightly) rely on his outstanding reputation to take his word with regards to the condition, tone and playability if the instrument.

Hope that makes some sense Mary :)

Loren