Trivia for Walden (or anyone else for that matter)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Trivia for Walden (or anyone else for that matter)

Post by Flyingcursor »

Do you know who this guy is?

I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

By the looks of his clothing and image, I would say "dead!"

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

http://www.civilwarhome.com/watiebio.htm

Stand Watie
(1806-1871)

Born at Oothcaloga in the Cherokee Nation, Georgia (near present day Rome, Georgia) on December 12, 1806, Stand Watie's Cherokee name was De-ga-ta-ga, or "he stands." He also was known as Isaac S. Watie. He attended Moravian Mission School at Springplace Georgia, and served as a clerk of the Cherokee Supreme Court and Speaker of the Cherokee National Council prior to removal.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

avanutria wrote:http://www.civilwarhome.com/watiebio.htm

Stand Watie
(1806-1871)

Born at Oothcaloga in the Cherokee Nation, Georgia (near present day Rome, Georgia) on December 12, 1806, Stand Watie's Cherokee name was De-ga-ta-ga, or "he stands." He also was known as Isaac S. Watie. He attended Moravian Mission School at Springplace Georgia, and served as a clerk of the Cherokee Supreme Court and Speaker of the Cherokee National Council prior to removal.
How'd you know that????? Very good.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I checked the name of your image file (watie02.jpg) and Google Image'd "watie". :D
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

avanutria wrote:I checked the name of your image file (watie02.jpg) and Google Image'd "watie". :D
Damn! I blew it again. Here I thought it was a brilliant bit of logic worthy of Holmes.

Something like,

The guy in the picture has a checkered shirt under his jacket.
When folding paper into squares it makes a checkered pattern.
The post was addressed to Walden and Walden is into origami.
In the Christmas origami thread walden showed a tree ornament on a tree which sat on a stand.

Therefore the persons name must be "stand"

As Markb so cleverly observed, the picture is old so the guy named "Stand" must be dead.

Flyingcursor created this thread but also posted on the thread where Cynth discussed funeral decor so clearly the connection is that Flyingcursor knew Walden liked Origami and this guy had nothing to do with oragami but he was dead which could be translated to Watie if you wanted to and his name was Stand which would mean his name was Stand Watie.

That's how I thought you figured it out.
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Perhaps it was, and I'm misleading you.

Now you can never be sure.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Flyingcursor wrote:
avanutria wrote:I checked the name of your image file (watie02.jpg) and Google Image'd "watie". :D
Damn! I blew it again. Here I thought it was a brilliant bit of logic worthy of Holmes.
New-Age Techno-Cyber-Holmes would look at the URL first :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

:lol: :lol: Oh dear, poor Flyingcursor. Well, you could try to stump us again. I guess you would have to store the image in Image Shack or something. That might trick us.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

He did store it himself - http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/f ... atie02.jpg - he just forgot to change the name. :)
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

Since he's a relatively famous Cherokee I figured Walden would have heard of him and maybe recognized the picture.

Cynth, I'll find another image that relates to one of the board members and try again.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Interestingly enough, my 4th Great Grandfather, though brother to Principal Chief John Ross, was allied with Stand Watie and the Treaty Party.
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

Walden wrote:Interestingly enough, my 4th Great Grandfather, though brother to Principal Chief John Ross, was allied with Stand Watie and the Treaty Party.
So you are indirectly related to Ross? I knew you'd know about this.
I was never clear about whether Ross was behind the attempt to assassinate Watie. And was that attempt made before or after Watie and the 2000 left Georgia?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Walden wrote:Interestingly enough, my 4th Great Grandfather, though brother to Principal Chief John Ross, was allied with Stand Watie and the Treaty Party.
So you are indirectly related to Ross?
I'm directly related, just not descended from him.
Flyingcursor wrote:I knew you'd know about this.
I was never clear about whether Ross was behind the attempt to assassinate Watie. And was that attempt made before or after Watie and the 2000 left Georgia?
The assassinations were in what is now Oklahoma, and immediately after Removal. John Ross claimed no involvement, though those who carried it out would have been his political supporters.

Stand Watie went on to become a famous Confederate general, and there is a monument to him at the old Cherokee Capitol.
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

Walden wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:
So you are indirectly related to Ross?
I'm directly related, just not descended from him.
Flyingcursor wrote:I knew you'd know about this.
The assassinations were in what is now Oklahoma, and immediately after Removal. John Ross claimed no involvement, though those who carried it out would have been his political supporters.

Stand Watie went on to become a famous Confederate general, and there is a monument to him at the old Cherokee Capitol.
Ah. I had my time way off.

In fact, Stand Watie was the last Confederate general to surrender his troops to the Union on June 23, 1865. Almost three months after Appomatix.