Low D for Small Hands?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
gwen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Low D for Small Hands?

Post by gwen »

I'd like to get a Low D, but I have small hands and I am a beginner. I don't want one that takes huge amounts of air, either. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which one I should try?
Thanks,
Gwen
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

At one point Colin Goldie made a Low D with the closest hole spacing of any (low D) whistle I ever measured, plus his whistles always require a very low volume of air (although you do have to supply some pressure.) I'd suggest contacting Colin, and asking him for a custom whistle, to the old specs.

Colin, I know I'm putting you on the spot here, but I do want another Low D with tone holes like my old one, and I'll force you into making them again one way or the other! :lol:

Gary H. do you still have my old Overton Low D?

Loren
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

If you have small hands but you don't have skinny fingers,
the Howard Low D is good, and it isn't expensive, either.
The Dixon will serve as well, cheaper still.
The Whistle Shop online is a good place, and if you
call Thom, the owner, he will give you good advice.

Neither whistle takes a lot of air.
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

The Sweetheart low D might be what you are looking for. Take a look at the hole spacing and the offset holes:

http://www.sweetheartflute.com/lowwhistle.html

A bit expensive, but I hear good things about the sound.

However, be aware that most people end up using Piper's Grip or some modification of it for low D whistles. It really helps.

Here is what it looks like: http://www.thewhistleshop.com/beginners/lowd/lowd.htm
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Is there a photo anywhere of a lineup of low D's, so that one could compare spacing and tone hole size? I don't have any low D's now at all, because of the stretch being extremely uncomfortable.

If the tone hole size is what's concerning you, there are some makes that would be better. But if it's the stretch, you may want to consider a different one. The Howard is what I had and didn't work, because of the long reach to the bottom tone hole. (Sorry, I seem to be repeating this story a lot.)

Anyhow, if you get a chance to try several, or even just hold them for a while in a shop, you'll be better able to judge.

Jennie
billw

Post by billw »

DAN BINGAMON makes keyed whistles. That sounds like just the ticket for anyone with hands too small to play a low D.

Contact him here:

http://www.bingamon.com

Cheers!
Bill Whedon
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
Ostekjeks

Post by Ostekjeks »

Loren wrote:At one point Colin Goldie made a Low D with the closest hole spacing of any (low D) whistle I ever measured
Is this (D Tenor Short Reach) the type of Overton you're talking about?
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Try this thread I started some time ago

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... er+compare

One whistle that I have added to my collection that is not discussed there is the Bleazey low d. It has a great small hands finger spread and even my wife enjoys playing it.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Oreo

Post by Oreo »

It should be mentioned that Susato has keyed low whistles available from G down to D.
They are at www.susato.com.

Oreo
Black Mage

Post by Black Mage »

I'd recommend a Tony Dixon, myself. That's what I have and even I, with my stubby Nordic fingers, can comfortable get all the holes covered.
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I've never played one, but Ronaldo Reyburn will make a Low D with an optional hole pattern that's supposed to be easier for people with small hands.

http://reyburnlowwhistles.com/hole.html

Optionally, you might consider a Low G.
Lawrence
"Well, Scotty, now you've done it!" - McCoy
"Aye. The haggis is in the fire for sure." - Scotty
gwen

Post by gwen »

Thanks for all the advice! I ordered a Howard Low D this morning. I guess if I can't play it, I can always sell it! :lol:
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Ostekjeks wrote:
Loren wrote:At one point Colin Goldie made a Low D with the closest hole spacing of any (low D) whistle I ever measured
Is this (D Tenor Short Reach) the type of Overton you're talking about?
Hmm, interesting. I honestly don't know, I'd have to hear from Colin on that to have a definitive answer.

Paging Mr. Goldie, Paging Mr. Goldie........... :D

Loren
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Lawrence wrote:I've never played one, but Ronaldo Reyburn will make a Low D with an optional hole pattern that's supposed to be easier for people with small hands.

http://reyburnlowwhistles.com/hole.html

Optionally, you might consider a Low G.
OH MAN! Have I got an endorsement for Mr. Reyburn.

First of all, I don't play low whistles. I've played several, and I don't like them. I don't like how they sound, and I don't like how they feel. But recently, I heard a clip of a Reyburn Wide Bore low D, and I thought it was absolutely stunning, so I ordered myself one, you know, to see. Plus, my friends and family all wanted me to get a low D "so I could do that cool thing like on Titanic." These are the people I live with.

Anyway.

I ordered it, and it came, and I have scarcely put it down. Absolutely fantastic whistle, once you get a hold on the breath requirements. The upper octave (especially middle D) can be finicky, but that's part of the whole "Wide Bore" schtick. Once you figure it out, it is the most gorgeous-sounding low whistle I've heard. I'll not trade it for anything.

The finger spacing is not especially ergonomic, though, so those of you with shorter fingers may be inclined toward his off-set fingering pattern thingy. I don't know anything about it, but it's supposed to make things easier.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Black Mage

Post by Black Mage »

gwen wrote:Thanks for all the advice! I ordered a Howard Low D this morning. I guess if I can't play it, I can always sell it! :lol:
I've played a Howard low D before, and a Burke low D, both were pretty hard for to play. Those bottom D holes are a very large stretch for me.
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."