The patent office is suspicious...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jsluder
antispam: No

The patent office is suspicious...

Post by jsluder »

PTO Requests Model of Warp Drive Invention
The Worsley-Twist warp drive does not depend upon traditional emissions of matter to create thrust. Rather, the drive creates a change in the curvature of the space-time continuum — thus allowing travel by warping space-time. ... The Examiner has now requested a working model.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

looks rather like the drive from Event Horizon
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
fearfaoin

Re: The patent office is suspicious...

Post by fearfaoin »

Rather, the drive creates a change in the curvature of the space-time continuum
Can the Tesseract be far behind?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I think they got the idea from the time-travelling dog who came back from the year 2408 to try to get people to quite euthanizing his ancestors. No, this is real, I just saw it in the Weekly World News!
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

That Dennis Crouch looks a right shify so-and-so. I can just see him covered in blood, racing down a passageway after Sam Neill.
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

The list of other applications is great grins!

"# 2005-110500 DEVICE FOR EXCHANGING TRANSMISSION AND RECEPTION OF FUTURE INFORMATION OF MULTI-WORLD IN-BETWEEN PAST"
Multi-world? They'll need that warp drive working before anyone's buying this one.

I like the careful thought this shows:
"# 2005-102494 GRAVITY CONTROL TIME MACHINE UTILIZING ACCELERATED MOTION TO WHICH GENERAL THEORY OF RELATIVITY IS APPLIED"

Returning particles is all very well, thanks; but I'll wait to invest until I can return whole people:
"# 2005-101509 ULSI COMPRISING BINARY-NOTATION-SYSTEM ELEMENT FOR RETURNING ELEMENTARY PARTICLE OR ATOM TO PAST"

"# 2004-135253 APPARATUS FOR IRRADIATING EXCESS DIMENSION WITH GRAVITATIONAL WAVE USING BRANEWORLD THEORY IN BINARY NUMBER SYSTEM, TRANSMITTING-RECEIVING AND DECODING INFORMATION THEREFROM"
I'm guessing this is the same guy as #101509. He has a certain knack with spelling. Still, if he can irradiate the excess dimension of, say, my thighs, and then return those atoms to the past--heck yeah, I'm on board.

"# 2004-080981 APPARATUS FOR RAPIDLY ROTATING SMALL-SIZED ROD WITH ACCELERATOR TO FORM SINGULAR POINT, TO GENERATE CTL, TO PLACE FUTURE INFORMATION OBJECT THEREON AND TO SEND IT TO PAST"
"Future information object." What would that be? PowerPoint presentations? What? What?

"# 2003-198642 DEVICE FOR TRANSMITTING FUTURE INFORMATION TO PAST BY INTEGRATING LEFT ELECTRON INTO MORSE SIGNAL SYSTEM BY USING INFORMATION TRANSMITTING SPEED ZERO SECOND OF SPIN OF ELECTRON BLEW OFF RIGHT AND LEFT"
"Blew off" would seem to be the operative phrase, here.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

The amazing thing to me is that someone actually paid several hundred (or even several thousand) dollars to submit each of those patent applications.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I'm not so sure this stuff is entirely worthless. Look at the patent fight that RIM is in with their Blackberry due to some guy patenting a bunch of hazy, generalized concepts many years ago. He, or rather, his family is losing each patent case, but it is taking a lot of time and money to go through the process.

I liked some of the theoretical ideas that were in Crichton's book "Timeline", where they talked about possibilities of computing based on electrons having up to 26 different charge states, some of which go back in time.

Someday this character may make a mint just for having submitted a goofy notion.

djm
Last edited by djm on Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: The patent office is suspicious...

Post by amar »

fearfaoin wrote:
Rather, the drive creates a change in the curvature of the space-time continuum
Can the Tesseract be far behind?
ohhh, I read those books as a kid, they sure were fun!!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

jsluder wrote:The amazing thing to me is that someone actually paid several hundred (or even several thousand) dollars to submit each of those patent applications.
Well if you believe in the idea, and you want to sell it to a company and try to disclose that ingormation without a patent they will say “that is very interesting, we’ll have to look into that”. Heck I have seen it done with chemical manufacturing patents. One of the parameters is just a little narrowly defined, and the large company works around, patents a new process and the inventor sees nothing.

I find it too bad that the original intent of the spread of knowledge (which is one of the primary reason’s for patent law) has greatly hindered the ability to use that knowledge. Trade secrets (one of the reasons for the patent system) held knowledge back people realized no matter what they made someone else could make it better and maybe for less if they knew their process. So they hoarded knowledge. The tools that we have now make a lot of technology easy to duplicate thanks to modern equipment and analytical devices. So now we still have trade secrets for things like Coke a Cola, and patents for technology that will be useless by the time that the patent expires. Strangely I find that patents go against both true communism (sharing of knowledge) and capitalism (free competition by competitors due to price fixing.)

PS, sometimes when I see a really bad spelling error, I cannot change it back.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I.D.10-t wrote:PS, sometimes when I see a really bad spelling error, I cannot change it back.
Maybe you need one of these:
"# 2004-080981 APPARATUS FOR RAPIDLY ROTATING SMALL-SIZED ROD WITH ACCELERATOR TO FORM SINGULAR POINT, TO GENERATE CTL, TO PLACE FUTURE INFORMATION OBJECT THEREON AND TO SEND IT TO PAST"
:wink: