Hobgoblin London

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistling Willie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Hobgoblin London

Post by Whistling Willie »

I'm taking a trip to London this weekend and am thining of calling into Hobgoblin,does anyone know if they let you try whistles before you buY.

Thank's.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
Phil Hardy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

YES

Post by Phil Hardy »

Hey Whistling,there is no problem with trying whistles out there,they have a whole rack of whistles of all makes.
Ask for John (manager) and say Hi from Phil Hardy and if you want to buy anything, tell him I said to give you a big discount or I'll kneecap him.
have fun.
phil
ps you might like to look in Macaris in Charing Cross Road just by Cambridge Circus,it's just around the corner.
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Cheers for that Phil....hope your not getting too much sun in Oz,just think of all us freezing over here :(
Whistling Willie

Just had a look at their site Phil,they have a brass Chieftain A for sale,hope they still have it when I get there. :wink:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

They are very relaxed there and you can play every whistle in the shop if you want.

Then after Hobgoblin walk to the Virgin Megastore about 5 mins away and check out the Irish sections. You will find maybe 50 CDs or more with whistle and be able to listen to them without buying. I think its on the third floor. And if jazz flute hits the spot ...

Then another 5 min walk to Denmark St which you'll find a street filled with music shops. Loads of written music in two of the shops if you use it.

Have a good trip and enjoy the sessions in London.
Whistling Willie

Thank's for the tips Adrian,now I'm REALLY looking forward to it :D
Parkwood

Post by Parkwood »

Hey, try out the MK low D when you're there! Tried a red one out a few weeks ago (they may still have it) and it was superb sounding and extremely easy to play. I hope to get a black one when I'm next there if it plays as nicely as the other one.

Also the Copeland low D and the Harper high C are well worth a play!!
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

I was in there last Wednesday, and they still had the MK red. Well nice. I thought it was nicer than the Copeland.

They also just received a delivery of a rosewood Sweetheart that they were unwrapping when i was there so i got to have a go of that too, extremely nice whistle but unfortunately out of my price range.

Willie, the good whistles are under the counter and they're ok with you playing them, and all the cheapies are by the door on your right. And don't forget to have a look at the weird stuff in the basement.

And yes, the big guy who works in there is very sarcastic, but funny. :D

?
Impempe

Post by Impempe »

When I asked if I could try out the Alba and the Copeland, I got a response that suggested I was a little crazy to not try before buying. They really were out of my price range and the only way I was ever going to play one was in the shop, so I made the most of it while I was there and they were more than happy for me to try them all if I wanted to. - great memories! My 5 year old spent the time strumming guitars, banging drums and blowing the cheapies by the door - particularly the slide whistle - drove me nuts, but they were seemingly unfased - great sales techniques :)
Screeeech!!! wrote:I was in there last Wednesday, and they still had the MK red. Well nice. I thought it was nicer than the Copeland.

Willie, the good whistles are under the counter and they're ok with you playing them, and all the cheapies are by the door on your right. And don't forget to have a look at the weird stuff in the basement.

And yes, the big guy who works in there is very sarcastic, but funny. :D
Democracy without morality is impossible. Jack Kemp
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Actually, make the most of it. There are lots of music shops in that area. Mostly in Denmark St and the adjoining Charing Cross Rd. You can go from shop to shop playing almost everything. The only trouble is that you often end up buying!

Across the road from Denmark St is Foyles Bookshop. They have some great books on flutes there. You'll have to ask as it is too big to search on your own.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

In general, London is just heaven when it comes to shopping! :)