Whistles 10 - Cellos 0.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chief Wanganui
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistles 10 - Cellos 0.

Post by Chief Wanganui »

I am in the middle of the tedious process of buying a cello for touring purposes. The reason for this is that it is increasingly the policy of airlines to discontinue selling seats in the cabin to transport cellos. Whilst this is not a problem that normally afflicts whistle players (!!!!!), bear with me to the end of this rant. As soon as your precious Strad is out of your sight, it is at the mercy of a legion of baggage handlers, security personnel and customs agents, none of whom could give a **** about throwing it 30ft onto the tarmac, drilling holes in it, impounding it (even though you have a gig the next day), and generally raising your blood pressure to lethal levels.
The buying process has once again exposed me to the vile crookedness which is rife in the world of international stringed-instrument dealing.
Thankfully, as evinced by the contributers to this site, no such villainy exists in the whistle world, which seems to be peopled by honest and true ladies and gentlemen. Well done to you all. My faith in humanity is restored.
That Scottish Git.
Congratulations

Re: Whistles 10 - Cellos 0.

Post by Congratulations »

Chief Wanganui wrote:My faith in humanity is restored.
You're welcome.

:D
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I was at a Lunasa show a week ago, and Trevor Hutchinson had just had his Bass smashed on the plane ride from Shannon to DC, two days before I saw them. Trevor was playing one that was loaned to him. Your post reminded me of that.

Good luck in your search Tony.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

yep. we don't permit strangers to break, destroy, and/or crack our instruments, we're quite capable of taking care of that ourselves, just by sitting down. and don't forget losing whistles, have you ever misplaced a cello in the livingroom? i know my clare is somewhere around her.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

On a recent trip, I was for the first time (except for an international flight back to the US, during which I was all but stripsearched) accosted because of my flute. I actually thought this was a good thing -- as far as an x-ray machine is concerned, a wooden or acetyl tube looks just the same as a stick of dynamite. Didn't happen on the trip back, though; I guess it wasn't the new policy, just someone doing a bit better job than most.

Chief, don't look at the thread ErikT started recently. You'll only get scared.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Chief Wanganui wrote:...Thankfully, as evinced by the contributers to this site, no such villainy exists in the whistle world, which seems to be peopled by honest and true ladies and gentlemen. Well done to you all. My faith in humanity is restored.
Alas, your faith in humanity may not be as well placed as we'd like to think... see http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Phil Hardy

Complements,complements.

Post by Phil Hardy »

Oh Chief,it is so nice that you concider us lowly whistlesmiths as gentlemen!
How nice.
The Thorn in your side.
Tom O'Farrell

Post by Tom O'Farrell »

I take the restoration of your faith in human beings as a personal compliment-you're welcome.
Tom O'Farrell.
www.tomofarrell.ca
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Chief Wanganui wrote:Thankfully, as evinced by the contributers to this site, no such villainy exists in the whistle world, which seems to be peopled by honest and true ladies and gentlemen. Well done to you all. My faith in humanity is restored.
:oops: Gosh....

Hey Chief-- just don't pull a Yo-Yo Ma... didn't he leave his valuable cello on a taxi or some such thing a few years ago?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Chief Wanganui

Post by Chief Wanganui »

Hey Chief-- just don't pull a Yo-Yo Ma... didn't he leave his valuable cello on a taxi or some such thing a few years ago?[/quote]

I believe he did. And don't get me started on the subject of horrendous things that happen to fine instruments. My blood has already started to run cold.
That Scottish Git.
River Otter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by River Otter »

Don't forget the old chestnut about the guy who left his bass leaning against the wall of a lowered orchestra pit. When they raised the pit, the scroll caught on the lip at the stage floor and crushed the bass to toothpicks.
River Otter
Fortitudine Vincit
Chief Wanganui

Post by Chief Wanganui »

River Otter wrote:Don't forget the old chestnut about the guy who left his bass leaning against the wall of a lowered orchestra pit. When they raised the pit, the scroll caught on the lip at the stage floor and crushed the bass to toothpicks.
All right, you've tempted me and I'll rise to the bait once. The principal bass player in the English Chamber Orchestra checked in at Heathrow airport at the start of a tour with his priceless old Italian bass, in a flight case. The baggage handler loaded it, standing upright, onto an electronic cart and drove under a low bridge. Flight case and bass were sliced in two. The poor player had to be restrained to avoid homicide caused by temporary insanity.

Needless to say there are plenty more where that came from.
That Scottish Git.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Some hope:

A trumpet-player friend had his car stolen with his #1 trumpet inside. This is the horn that he played lead on the 'Hockey Night In Canada' theme (Canada's unofficial National Anthem).

After a bit of media exposure, the trumpet was anonamously returned to an RCMP station, unharmed.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Black Mage

Post by Black Mage »

This all reminds me of something I saw on campus a couple of years ago. Y'see, I'm an art major and thus spend endless hours in the art building and I've seen everything. Even pieces that make most people cringe don't bother me in the least (crusified Barbie dolls, photos of slaughtered cows, many nudes, impaled bibles, etc), that is until I saw a sculptural piece in the sculpture gallery.

I'm not sure what they were getting at, but what I saw made me gasp. And that's not easy to do. Someone had taken a number of violins, chopped them up and hanged the pieces from the ceiling. Understand, I played viola for seven years, and this just made me sick. I think they were all Suzuki violins, so they weren't like Stradivarius' or Priers, but still, one should not do that to an instrument.
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Black Mage wrote:This all reminds me of something I saw on campus a couple of years ago. Y'see, I'm an art major and thus spend endless hours in the art building and I've seen everything. Even pieces that make most people cringe don't bother me in the least (crusified Barbie dolls, photos of slaughtered cows, many nudes, impaled bibles, etc), that is until I saw a sculptural piece in the sculpture gallery.

I'm not sure what they were getting at, but what I saw made me gasp. And that's not easy to do. Someone had taken a number of violins, chopped them up and hanged the pieces from the ceiling. Understand, I played viola for seven years, and this just made me sick. I think they were all Suzuki violins, so they weren't like Stradivarius' or Priers, but still, one should not do that to an instrument.
I do fully understand your horror, but trust me when I assure you that there are quite a very large number of instruments out there that are far more appropriate for this sort of use, or for housing small phylodendrons, than for anything approaching the actual production of music. Really. I've owned a few myself.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com