Weird and wonderful PS2 game...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Weird and wonderful PS2 game...

Post by brewerpaul »

We have a Playstation 2, but I haven't really used it very much. At first I liked some of the fast paced shoot 'em up or racing games but in general I found that instead of relaxing me, they got me jittery. Games like golf (Hotshots Fore, or Outlaw Golf) are more my middle aged speed...
A couple of weeks ago on NPR's Fresh Air, I heard a review of a Japanese game called Katamari Damacy which sounded right up my alley. I checked some online reviews, watched some video clips, and bought a used copy.

This thing is a BLAST. It's totally non-violent and really easy to learn. It almost seems more of a video toy than a game. The storyline is that the King of the Cosmos or some such title has inadvertantly destroyed all the stars. He sends you, the Prince of the Cosmos, to Earth to gather up materials to make new stars. You're given a lumpy sort of sticky ball called a Katamari which you roll around, picking up whatever it rolls over. At first it will only pick up small stuff like thumbtacks,paper clips, nuts but as it gets bigger your scale alters and you can pick up mice, batteries, all sorts of foods (many Japanese!), etc. At each level, you're given a certain diameter sphere to build before you can go to the next.

The game is totally surrealistic, with no logic to what objects are available in any location. The soundtrack is very catchy, and the 3-d graphics are terrific. My wife said it reminds her of Yellow Submarine. Fairly young kids can learn to play this, but older folks like myself will also find it addicting. Check out : http://www.namco.com/games/katamari_damacy/

There's a sequel, but this first one will keep me occupied for quite a while.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Uh-Oh... videogames.

I'm currently hooked on re-playing Morrowind, a PC (and X-Box) game, spending far too many hours a week on it and neglecting my other interests.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I've been playing the heck out of this since christmas

Guitar Hero...game for the playstation 2

It's kind of like Dance Dance Revolution...on the screen, there's a rock star, and he's playing the guitar. There are notes that come toward you, and you have to be holding the correct fret button and strum in time with the music. The more notes you hit correctly, the higher your multiplier.
(in this picture, the person is about to get the next note wrong, because he's holding both the red and green fret buttons, and he should only be holding the green one).

It's not really playing the gutar, but it feels like it! The technology even supports hammer-ons and pull-offs. And get this: hit certain combinations, and you get "star power"..where you literally have to yank the guitar into a neck-up position a la Wayne's World, and rock out! It has a sensor to actually detect when you've yanked the neck up, and doubles your multiplier; your on-screen avatar does cool guitar tricks while you're in star power mode, playing behind his head, or spinning the guitar around and stuff.

I've beaten the game at easy and medium, and am currently working on hard. I've spent my hard earned concert money unlocking the Grim Reaper as my lead guitarist..he plays his scythe with strings running down it. Very rock and roll. :)
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Martin Milner wrote:Uh-Oh... videogames.

I'm currently hooked on re-playing Morrowind, a PC (and X-Box) game, spending far too many hours a week on it and neglecting my other interests.
Great game. I'm currently stuck trying to finish a guild quest. I keep getting killed. I have a plan though.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Congratulations

All of my time is occupied by World of Warcraft.

MMOs are the scourge of sensible people. Also, people who prefer productive lives.
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Congratulations wrote:All of my time is occupied by World of Warcraft.

MMOs are the scourge of sensible people. Also, people who prefer productive lives.
I play a bit of that too ;)

Shadowsong server. Two Horde alts (lvl26 undead warlock, lvl 9 orc shaman). Two Alliance alts (lvl 18 night elf hunter, lvl 7 human paladin I started last night)
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Oh, now that I think about it, Paul, I think I heard the same review of Katamari Damacy on NPR that you did..but I'd read about it in Wired magazine a couple months ago, so I didn't pay much attention to the NPR review.
Snuh

Post by Snuh »

I'm also a WoW head on Teranas server. Spend most of my time on a lvl 48 night elf druid, but I've got an orc shaman, undead rogue, dwarf paladin, human mage, amoung others.

My wife plays too, so we can group together and play as a couple. :)
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

This is what im currently playing.

You need nerves of steel!

http://tlfe.org.uk/interactive/noughtsandcrosses.htm

Great Graphics too!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Congratulations

I'm on Detheroc. Level 45 (almost 46, lol) Tauren Shaman. A friend and I just started a guild, and I put up a forum the other day. No one has posted, yet... :cry:
emmline

Re: Weird and wonderful PS2 game...

Post by emmline »

brewerpaul wrote:This thing is a BLAST. It's totally non-violent and really easy to learn.
The 13 yr. old vid game afficionado at my house calls that game "addicting and frustrating."
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I don't play often enough to really be active in a guild and stuff..maybe 4-6 hours a week, sometimes none. But I like it..just don't have the time to devote to it like some folk
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I used to be heavily into Neverwinter NIghts (Bastions of War server) but kinda lost interest after I got my flute :)
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Congratulations

Wormdiet wrote:I used to be heavily into Neverwinter NIghts (Bastions of War server) but kinda lost interest after I got my flute :)
I played all the single-player stuff for NWN. It was crazy good. I had a group of friends that started a persistent world, and I designed most of the maps (what a generous friend I am... :P ), but I never played large-scale multiplayer on that game.