Clarke Meg Soprano D Review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Clarke Meg Soprano D Review

Post by Wanderer »

Review housed at http://www.tinwhistler.com/reviews.asp

Clarke Meg Soprano D whistle
(Review written January 2006)

Preface
The Clarke Tinwhistle Company was started in 1843 by Robert Clarke. The traditional Clarke whistle you can buy made of rolled tinplate with a wood block fipple is made in essentially the same way as the originals in 1843. The Clarke Sweetone is a more modern verson of the Clarke whistle, using the same basic body construction of rolled and sealed tinplate, but with a modern, plastic mouthpiece designed by Michael Copeland (of Copeland Whistles). It made it's appearance in 1996, and I got one right away. To tell you the truth, the Sweetone was the biggest factor in my continued whistle practice at the time. I was a little frustrated with the Clarke original I had. It took a lot of air, and I was still a cigarette smoker back then. So, I got a Shaw (big mistake!) because there wasn't any resources to tell me that Shaws took even more air than Clarkes! When I finally got a Sweetone, I was in heaven! The Meg, introduced in 2002, is a lower-cost version of the Sweetone--the same molds and construction methods are used, but the Clarke company takes advantage of cheaper labor and materials overseas to produce a cheaper instrument. I've read reports of inconsistency among them, but since these came out, I've owned and given away perhaps a half-dozen of them, gotten in various ways (bought from different stores, gotten as part of trades, etc) and all of those have been consistent in make and quality.

For that reason, I am not going wax poetic talking about the playing characteristics of this whistle. For all intents and purposes, if you know a Sweetone or read my Sweetone review, you know this whistle. I've never gotten an iffy one, but have read one or two stories about people who have, so take that for what it's worth.

At a Glance
Whistle Reviewed: Meg soprano D
Models Available: C and D in a variety of colors
Construction: Rolled tinplate with a plastic mouthpiece.
Price at time of review: approx $3.00 US
Available From:
Lark in the Morning (be warned that Lark seriously overcharges for Megs)
The Whistle Shop
and many more.
How Acquired: Acquired secondhand

Appearance/Construction
There's not a lot to say about the construction of this whistle that hasn't already been said about the <a href="http://www.tinwhistler.com/music/review ... sp">Clarke Sweetone</a>. The construction is identical, and in fact may be a little better. The plastic head on the meg is slightly better molded, with less of a molding "lip" along the side of the head. The material itself looks slightly different, with smaller "pores"--the plastic used for both of the Sweetone and the Meg's heads are not shiny-slick but rather has extremely fine texture. The Sweetone head is a little darker black plastic.

Here's the full whistle. Other than the Meg logo, it's identical to a Sweetone. In all of these pictures, I'm including a Sweetone for comparison. The silver whistle is the Meg, while the unfinished whistle is the Sweetone.

These things come in a variety of colors. I've owned a few of each, and they're all pretty much identical. I end up giving them away to people, and buying more, since they're so darn cheap. I started this review 3 months ago, but I had to wait to replace these whistles, because I gave the Sweetone above to a co-worker and the Meg to a kid who seemed enamored of my playing. That's right. I'm a whistle pusher.

Here's a close-up of the mouthpiece. Yeah, that's a little tooth mark there on the Sweetone. I don't know what it is about this mouthpiece design that makes me want to grip it in my teeth when no other mouthpiece does.

Here's another angle on the mouthpiece, showing the fipple area. Note that on the Sweetone the mouthpiece is held on with glue, I believe, because it takes a lot of work to get these to budge. On the Meg, the only thing holding it on is friction...so it's tunable right out of the box. Sweet!

A shot at the end of the whistle, showing the last three holes.

The Meg and Sweetone logos.

Playing Characteristics
Again, all the Megs I've owned have been identical to the Sweetones I've owned. And I've owned around half a dozen of each of them. Mellow, hollow-flutey sounding, easy playing and not too piercing in the second octave. Sweetones have a very distinctive sound..and that sound is shared by the Meg.

Sound clips of the whistle:
Rakes of Mallow. I've done this recording differently, using a hot new technology: Compare-O-vision! or Compare-O-something or something. Whatever. Anyway, stereo channels are split up, left and right, basically. So, I've put a recording of the Sweetone on one channel, and the Meg on another. Played normally, and they're more or less together. Switch your stereo balance to the left, and you hear one whistle. Switch it all the way to the right, and you hear the other. Can you tell which one is the Sweetone and which is the Meg? By the way, this is my first experiment recording with a click-track, so that I could try to synchronize two recordings made at two different times. It didn't turn out perfect, but it's still not to shabby for only doing like 3 takes.

Still give up? click and drag to highlight the white space between the lines for the answer!
--------------------------------------------
The Meg is on the right channel, and the Sweetone is on the left. The volumes aren't identical, but that's more of a matter of how far away I was from the mic on each take. On one take the Sweetone was louder, and on another, the Meg was, because I'd shifted in my chair.
--------------------------------------------

Volume: Low side of medium, same as a Sweetone.

Responsiveness: Moderate, same as a Sweetone. The tone of this instrument keeps my fastest ornaments from sounding crisp.

Tuning: In tune across it's entire range, same as a Sweetone.

C-natural: OXXOOO produces an in-tune c-natural.

Hole size and placement: This whistle has holes are average size and placement.

Air volume requirements: Low side of medium.

Air pressure requirements: medum low. Like the sweetone, this is a very easy player both in terms of breath pressure and air needed. It doesn't take much effort, even at the top of it's range.

Clogging: About the same as a Sweetone: Starts clogging in about 20 minutes. Duponol helps.

Wind Resistance: Medium. Good breezes knock this out, and I have to do the wind dance (where you shuffle around while playing to try to keep the wind at your back) more than I'd like, but still, I've been able to play this outside with some success.

Summary Some people don't care for the tone of a Sweetone. If that's the case, you won't like the Meg any better. But for many, this is a fine instrument, and a great beginner's instrument. It's so inexpensive, you could even give them out as presents or party favors to children, in the hopes that one of them takes to the whistle.

(edited for typos)
Last edited by Wanderer on Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

As someone who has played Clarkes for a long time, I'd say this is a very accurate review. I only noted one difference from my experience: Maybe it's a climate or playing style difference or something but I've never once had a Meg clog on me.
Megs are one of the few whistles I've owned several of and have never had to tweak any of them. They're all very playable straight outta the box.
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Yeah, it may be partially climate. In Houston, with 80+ humidity, I had a lot more problems with clogging than I do here in Dallas. It may be partially me..I tend to salivate when doing things that make me nervous, like recording, or learning a new tune for the first time. While I don't think that I'm spitting in the whistle, I'm sure that raises the ambient humidity in my breath. Or something ;)
peteinmn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peteinmn »

Wanderer

Excellent review as always. Matches my experience with the Sweetone/Meg family. The Meg is a decent starter whistle at a very reasonable price. I have also "pushed" some of these on the grandkids and others.

Peter
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

Wanderer,

Do you think there is a chance that we can get "The Undisputed" to gather up reviews from the ChiffBoard and post them on his website in a single place for folks to look over - preferrably organized by whistle? Dale has some reviews which he has written himself, but I was thinking more of a place where you could find reviews from all sorts of people - kind of get a general feel for a whistle before you part with your hard-earned cash.

Such a review section would be especially useful in the latter stages of WhOA (that's when a fippler sells his house in order to make his high-end whistle payments). :)
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I can't really say what Dale might or might not do ;)
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

All the reviews in a single place for folks to look over? That's exactly what Wanderer has done at his website. (Along with building one of the best tune indexes found anywhere.)

And one of the best things about his reviews is the consistency. You can find two or three whistles you have experienced and that give you a good baseline for understanding where all the other reviews fit in. You could lump all the reviews in this forum together, but it would be a very mixed bag.

Wanderer, a question for you. (Oh, and thanks again for another great review.) I have only owned one Meg, but it responded well to a bit of blue tack inside the mouth piece. Any experience with that?
Last edited by swizzlestick on Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

swizzlestick wrote:All the reviews in a single place for folks to look over? That's exactly what Wanderer has done at his website. (Along with building one of the best tune indexes found anywhere.)

And one of the best things about his reviews is the consistancy. You can find two or three whistles you have experienced and that give you a good baseline for understanding where all the other reviews fit in. You could lump all the reviews in this forum together, but it would be a very mixed bag.
Well, the idea was to organize and centralize reviews from a lot of people. I like Wanderer's reviews. I like Dale's reviews. There are probably other people who have opinions which carry more weight than mine. Put them all into one spot - that's the idea.

I will check out Wanderer's website also.
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

swizzlestick wrote:All the reviews in a single place for folks to look over? That's exactly what Wanderer has done at his website. (Along with building one of the best tune indexes found anywhere.)

And one of the best things about his reviews is the consistancy. You can find two or three whistles you have experienced and that give you a good baseline for understanding where all the other reviews fit in. You could lump all the reviews in this forum together, but it would be a very mixed bag.

Wanderer, a question for you. (Oh, and thanks again for another great review.) I have only owned one Meg, but it responded well to a bit of blue tack inside the mouth piece. Any experience with that?
Nope..I suck at the blue-tack tweak. When I do it, no sound comes out when I'm done.

Jerry sent me some nice blue-tacked instruments, but I just must be thick, because I can't do it at all ;)
riverman

Post by riverman »

Wanderer and Dale both do us an EXCELLENT service by reviewing whistles. I studied all their reviews intensely before buying my first custom whistle. I was not disappointed by the result.

I personally would recommend the Meg above any other of the cheaper whistles, because their tuning is good and conical design makes it flutelike--no reedy vibratey buzz that so many cheapies have.
FIGHT THE BUZZ!!
One downside--it can sound a bit toyish sometimes--for lack of a better way to describe it.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Rosee

Post by Rosee »

I've owned two Megs. One was a great little whistle but the other one had the bottom hole noticeably missplaced. It was a good quarter of an inch lower than the same hole on a Sweetone or my other Meg, making it unbearably out of tune. But all in all, it just means you get a good whistle for six dollars rather than three.
riverman

Post by riverman »

Just an afterthought:
My daughter in college has a friend who is a music major. I hired her to give me lessons so I can learn to read Irish music and not be dependent on discs. She plays all kinds of instruments, mainly clarinet. I gave her a Meg in D so she could try out the whistle. She liked it. I think that says something good about the Meg.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Wanderer wrote:

Nope..I suck at the blue-tack tweak. When I do it, no sound comes out when I'm done.

Jerry sent me some nice blue-tacked instruments, but I just must be thick, because I can't do it at all ;)
Im the same,I tried it for the first time the other night on a Gen Bb and there wasn't a sound at all coming out of the whistle when I had finished. :oops:
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Hmmm.. I'm just an average novice whistler who's done the sticky tacky treatment several times. I've personally never encountered this problem. All the times I've done it, it makes the low notes stronger, noticeably the bell note. Strange? :-?
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
ConnieS

Post by ConnieS »

I teach K-8 music. As I've reported in the past, this year I replaced r**orders with Megs. The results have been outstanding. Although it's been a challenge to teach on a D instrument, the kids have had no trouble learning, and in fact I was able to push back the first year of instrument from age 9 to age 8 (smaller fingers--no problem on those little Meg tone holes). The best advantage--the kids get addicted to them. I love to sit in my office as school is closing down each day, and hear kids play tunes in the hall. They can't get enough. Never had such a thing with those other instruments.

Just so you know, though--the kids don't care for green Megs. They like blue, black and silver, and green is okay--but the red ones were the last to be chosen. I haven't tried the gold. That, of course, is the choice of midwestern US kids. Tastes may differ where you are.