Earworm

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Earworm

Post by Wanderer »

So, I'm sitting at my computer playing a solitaire card game, and I find myself humming this little tune.

My rommate asks me "what are you humming?" And I think about it and am forced to admit I have no idea. So I pick up the whistle, and after two false starts finding the first note, I can play the whole tune at speed, but I'm certain I've never learned it before.

The most I can wiggle out of my brain is that part of the tune goes with lyrics "fare thee well"...that's enough, and a 5 minute internet search brings me to a kid's song I haven't heard since I was..well, a kid: Polly Wally Doodle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polly_Wolly_Doodle

You know, it's a shame I didn't grow up in Ireland so that I coulda done that with Jig of Slurs. Heh.
Last edited by Wanderer on Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Soon as you said "Fare thee well" I thought Polly Wolly Doodle. It's a very catchy tune.

I should point out that I was listening to Charles Ives tonight, and Polly Wolly Doodle almost certainly popped in for a few bars. :wink:
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Speaking of Americana earworms, I used to work on a shipping dock with an ex-Navy man, named Ed. Ed didn't say much, but he frequently sang one line of a tune, over and over again. I don't think that he knew what the tune was because he never finished it. One of the other workers on the dock called Ed, "gentle voices". Ed's earworm was "I hear those gentle voices". I thought to myself, Ed, how can you possibly not know the rest of the lyrics?
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

My god - this just came out of my ear! :boggle:

I think it must be Abba :swear:
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Speaking of Americana earworms, I used to work on a shipping dock with an ex-Navy man, named Ed. Ed didn't say much, but he frequently sang one line of a tune, over and over again. I don't think that he knew what the tune was because he never finished it. One of the other workers on the dock called Ed, "gentle voices". Ed's earworm was "I hear those gentle voices". I thought to myself, Ed, how can you possibly not know the rest of the lyrics?
Strange, just read the lyrics to "Old Black Joe" (from which "gentle voices" may have come from) and your story reminds me of the guy I use to work with that would whistle a part of "If I Only Had A Brain" at work when ever he was given an especially stupid task. I doubt that Ed was making a commentary on work though.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Must be cultural thing. When you mentioned the lyric "Fare thee well" I instantly thought of The Leaving of Liverpool.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

It could have also been "Old Joe Clark" but knowing the notes that go with the words probably changes things.
Wanderer wrote: Polly Wally Doodle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polly_Wolly_Doodle
Interesting, D. D. Emmett from Bruce & Emmett's "The Drummers' and fifers" guide" wrote that song.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:Speaking of Americana earworms, I used to work on a shipping dock with an ex-Navy man, named Ed. Ed didn't say much, but he frequently sang one line of a tune, over and over again. I don't think that he knew what the tune was because he never finished it. One of the other workers on the dock called Ed, "gentle voices". Ed's earworm was "I hear those gentle voices". I thought to myself, Ed, how can you possibly not know the rest of the lyrics?
Strange, just read the lyrics to "Old Black Joe" (from which "gentle voices" may have come from) and your story reminds me of the guy I use to work with that would whistle a part of "If I Only Had A Brain" at work when ever he was given an especially stupid task. I doubt that Ed was making a commentary on work though.
Yes, the tune that Ed had partially forgotten is "Old Black Joe", a Stephen Foster classic that every kid in the USA was exposed to early in grade school. Maybe Ed wasn't paying very good attention that day in class, looking out the window, dreaming of going fishing. On several occasions I tried to help him finish the lyrics with, "I'm coming, I'm coming, and my head is bending low. I hear those gentle voices calling, Old Black Joe". However, not long after that Ed had it reduced to "I hear those gentle voices".
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Definitely a cultural thing. I thought immediately of "Fare thee well, Enniskillen" - The Enniskillen Dragoons.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Definitely a cultural thing. I thought immediately of "Fare thee well, Enniskillen" - The Enniskillen Dragoons.
:lol:

So did I.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats