Old 1 row 4 Bass Accordeon (melodeon)

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Fergmaun
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Old 1 row 4 Bass Accordeon (melodeon)

Post by Fergmaun »

My father was given to him on New Years Eve an old 1 row 4 Bass Accordeon (melodeon).
ImageImage
ImageImage

The melodeon was given to my dad by a man from Wales now living in Moville Co Donegal. This person was given this melodeon for part payment for plumbing work in Wales (Miners Cottage) and said that the accordion was collecting dust and my dad could have it.

The melodeon is in the Key of D. The only problems is the 10 row keys stick when pressed. (how to fix sticking keys)

Do any of you know the history of this Melodeon and what year it was made and the price would be.

Cheers

Ferg
Last edited by Fergmaun on Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

Fergus, i think you'll find more experts on the box here http://www.aimoo.com/forum/categories.c ... zb=8563280

dust and melodeons don't get along at all, that box might get more expensive than a new one...
Fergmaun

Post by Fergmaun »

Thanks lixnaw for the link will join that forum.

Cheers
Ferg
Last edited by Fergmaun on Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

It looks a lot like our old two-row, which is from the 1910s or 1920s. (Which we got at an antique store last year, and did cost a good bit to get fixed up. But we're happy we did it, it's a lovely old instrument, and a lot of fun to play.)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

You could also post your pictures and questions on Melodeon.net, lots of knowledgeable people there.

I suspect the keys are sticking (open?) due to dust and dirt in and around the keyboard. The first thing I'd do is pull the pivot pin out, noting the order of the keys, and give the keys a good clean, but this sort of thing can get scary, so you might want to take it to a professional restorer.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hey Ferg, this isn't going to help you any, but I think that's pretty neat! I like the woodgrain, and simple lines. It reminds me of a button accordian we used to have around the house when I was a kid. As far as I remember, I'm the only one who fooled around on it, but I had a good time playing with it. My brother still has it, probably still stored in his attick-that's where we kept it when we had it too. Bellows are probably dry as toast by now! Maybe I'll have to stop by my brother's soon and see!

Hope you can get it back working again, without too much trouble or cost, but Lix may be right.

Thanks for the pictures!
~~~~
Barry