McGoldrick's Trip to Brittany Jig

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Oreo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

McGoldrick's Trip to Brittany Jig

Post by Oreo »

Hi All,

I really likw the jig that Phil Hardy played to demonstrate the GFM soprano D, found at this link:
http://kerrywhistles.com/movies/Garnite ... igh_Da.wmv

I asked Phil by e-mail about the tune, and he told me the jig is named "Trip to Brittany" and is by Mike McGoldrick. But hw also said, "I don't think there are any dots for this tune, I certainly don't have the info for any music (dots) as I don't read music and keep all the tunes in me head."

So, for those of us who like to learn from dots, I have transcribed the tune from what Phil played. Get the PDF from this link:
http://www.sweetums.net/oreo/Trip%20to%20Brittany.pdf

If you want to make a JPG, you can do so by saving a screen shot of the PDF.

If anyone has the definitive dots from Michael McGoldrick, please let me know.

Phil plays the tune twice, with repeats, in the demonstration. I have tried to capture most of the ornaments, but only using two staff lines. Phil doesn't just do one line and then the other, but the ornaments are mixed between what I have captured on the two lines.

Enjoy,

Oreo Phil
dapple

Post by dapple »

Trip to Brittany is a great tune. Thanks very much for transcribing it, Oreo. Very nice work.
~ David
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Sometimes, tunes that are written by living performers are copyrighted and less likely to show up at tune sites. I would get permission before publishing and sharing (including online) abc's of anything written within the last 75 years. I bet Kevin Krell (kkrell, a member here) would know if it's cool or not.

That said, I have found John Whelan and a few other recent neo-trad'ers tunes online...I don't know if it was done with their blessing or not. The philosophy of trad is that it becomes universal, as opposed to other kinds of music... but I wouldn't want to deny a fellow musician their paltry royalties if they are forthcoming and they wished to retain that ability.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
scooter587

Post by scooter587 »

Another transcription can be found at www.thesession.org at: http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display.php/5008

I've posted a number of tunes from known composers at that site, and I've never had one say no when I asked permission first. Most, like John McCusker and Win Horan, say they are tickled to see their tunes played and passed along.

It's easy to find contact info for almost every living composer--email works great, and most people respond within a few days. Asking permission is just one more way to show respect for the composer and the tradition.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Flook is quite good at letting others transcribe their tunes. Also, they are quite good at sending you the dots as well.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Good to know. I didn't want to be a party pooper about it...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Oreo

Post by Oreo »

Oops, yes, I will see if I can contact McGoldrick and if he is willing to share this tune.

Phil
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Oreo wrote:Oops, yes, I will see if I can contact McGoldrick and if he is willing to share this tune.
Phil
...you might consider taking it down in the mean time. Most jurisdictions really do frown on distributing IP without consent.

Great setting, though! Thanks a bunch! :wink:
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I wouldn't worry about it. If its on thesession.org you are probably safe.