Weird. Even by my standards.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Weird. Even by my standards.

Post by Dale »

Last night I was browsing in a bookstore and looked at a book called "Front Pockets." Here's the blurb from amazon.com:
Front Pockets catalogues the exhibition of Providence based sculptor Jonathan Bonner that was held at the Museum of Art, Rhode Island School of Design from November 9, 2001-January 27, 2002. The catalogue/artist's book contains 20 pages of duotone images of objects, sculpted by Bonner, to be carried in the front pockets of trousers.
That's an accurate blurb. On the page to the left, there's a close up of the pair of objects Bonner has sculpted. Lead balls. Glass balls. Water balloons. Spherical objects that are burrs that have to be inserted with a special tube.

Then on the right side are photos of a model, photographed only from about knee to chest, with the object in his trousers pockets.

That's it.

I found a used copy on amazon.com for $1.50 and snapped it up. Now when my friends pick up the book at my house and admire it, I'll be able to say, "Hey, listen," and then I'll lower my voice to a conspiratory whisper, "I got this for a buck fifty."

Find yourself wanting more? Here you go:

http://www.jonathanbonner.com/pockets.html
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I have a friend who has been carrying a cow magnet in his pocket for years, keeping all his change from falling out of his pocket.

So forget "what is in your wallet" and let's ask "what is in your pockets", ladies on the board can itemize the contents of their purses or just give the carrying weight of the purse.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

I have several thoughts:

1. As an art major for a very brief segment of my college career, I saw far stranger things.

2. At the moment, I have in my front pocket a small pewter trinket with a relief image of the Hindu form of Buddha on it. Daughter #2 picked up objects of this sort to give family members for Christmas. The other objects were an acorn, a fish, and a heart.

3. I have often found carrying an object of some sort in my pocket to be strangely comforting. Just before I went into labor with baby #4, my husband found an small agate pig which had been lost somewhere in his 30 year old sock backlog (I'd never seen it before.) It went to the hospital with me, in my pocket.

4. I can't say exactly why the objects in "Front Pockets" are appealing to me--but they are. I guess the artist, like me, just fancies these small, grippable objects.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

But I wouldn't want those pocket weasels! They look sharp! :boggle: :boggle:

Mary
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Ooh! Ooh! I want the $300 deluxe edition...

About those graphite pocket balls-- d'ya suppose he's compensating for some sort of lackage?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Re: Weird. Even by my standards.

Post by IDAwHOa »

DaleWisely wrote:I found a used copy on amazon.com for $1.50 and snapped it up. Now when my friends pick up the book at my house and admire it, I'll be able to say, "Hey, listen," and then I'll lower my voice to a conspiratory whisper, "I got this for a buck fifty."
Just goes to prove two things:

If you make it, someone will buy it.

If you put it on sale, even more people will buy it.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
emmline

Post by emmline »

MarkB wrote:I have a friend who has been carrying a cow magnet in his pocket for years, keeping all his change from falling out of his pocket.
coins aren't magnetic though.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

emmline wrote:
MarkB wrote:I have a friend who has been carrying a cow magnet in his pocket for years, keeping all his change from falling out of his pocket.
OMG!! Proof of gravity.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:
emmline wrote:
OMG!! Proof of gravity.
I didn't think cows were, either...
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Ineresting....

The hour is near...been out all day..quick change of clothing required..then Showtime..Son's and Girlfriends...Party time.

At this point I would like , need, to say, that I am not directely involved in any thihg that may come later...that'll be the drink talkin' hic..

Happy New Year.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Paul Reid

Whats have I got in my pocketses?

Post by Paul Reid »

PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

If my (or a) pocket knife is not in there, then the exhibit's a dud. And for the last 20 years ago, I carry one of those self-folding leather round thingies to keep yer change from jinglin.' Better be one of those too, or haruumph.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?