Rod Cameron's salad days

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Tamadden

Rod Cameron's salad days

Post by Tamadden »

Maybe this was mentioned before, but I just found a lovely letter from flute maker Rod Cameron recounting some of the adventures of his youth. Great reading:

http://www.npr.org/programs/thistle/fea ... n_art.html

All the best,

Tom
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Great reading indeed! :)

Thank you,
Denny
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Thanks for sharing that link, Tom. That was very enjoyable.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Lovely.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

rod cameron wrote: A recent highlight for me was to join with the Chris Norman Ensemble last September on their concert tour of Scotland, I got to show them some of my favourite places in the Highlands and Lowlands and document their journey for a DVD video.
Anyone know anything about this?

The whole piece is great. I knew he was tight with Chris Norman, but I'd no idea how far back and broad his roots went -- Johnny Cash and John Lee Hooker, lawdy, I'd love to have met those guys.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
tin tin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

From Rod Cameron's letter:
...I am not deserving of association with these legendary figures based upon any kind of musical ability. I simply want to let younger people know that there was a time when such adventures could, with luck, befall a young folkie with a few songs to share and that was mostly because there were not many of us in the community.
The 60's are past, and it seems opportunities like this have passed, too.
What do you think of today's musical climate? Have we become conditioned to hear and expect perfect music? Or is there still room for an amateur to play for an audience?
Even in the age of mail order CDs and the Internet, does geography still matter? That is to say, can an amateur play gigs, because that's the only live traditional music people in the area will hear, even if the person's still in the process of learning and developing as a traditional player? Or, since CDs and such have shown us the standard of excellence, should the amateur player wait until he/she is closer to that level?
Screeeech!!!
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Tintin wrote:The 60's are past, and it seems opportunities like this have passed, too.
What do you think of today's musical climate? Have we become conditioned to hear and expect perfect music? Or is there still room for an amateur to play for an audience?
Even in the age of mail order CDs and the Internet, does geography still matter? That is to say, can an amateur play gigs, because that's the only live traditional music people in the area will hear, even if the person's still in the process of learning and developing as a traditional player? Or, since CDs and such have shown us the standard of excellence, should the amateur player wait until he/she is closer to that level?
I think it depends on the circumstances. If it's an open mic stage then i'm all for anyone getting up and making their noises. Good or bad, we all have to start performing somewhere and everyone deserves their moment to share their music. And if people don't want to listen to rank amatuers then they won't be near an open mic stage.

But if i'm paying to listen to a scheduled performance then i expect a good musician to entertain me for my money.

Horses for courses, as they say.

Personally, i love open mic stages, they're so much fun.

?
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

chas wrote:
rod cameron wrote: A recent highlight for me was to join with the Chris Norman Ensemble last September on their concert tour of Scotland, I got to show them some of my favourite places in the Highlands and Lowlands and document their journey for a DVD video.
Anyone know anything about this?
I didn't know about the DVD - that would be awesome!

I do remember Rod talking about his touring stints with the CNE on the flutemakers list awhile back - his gift with words made it especially entertaining to read!

Cheers,
- Ryan