A Very Expensive Duck-Call

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
WireHarp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A Very Expensive Duck-Call

Post by WireHarp »

Well I suppose I am one of you now... the trip to the dark side is complete, although they are pastorals and not uilleann per se. I received a second hand set made by Mr. Bayley, and they are causing more than a bit of frustration. I wrote to Chris today, but let me post the letter here as well ( in case he sees this first!) or perhaps someone else could advice a VERY frustrated beginner. I have been playing on bellows driven shuttles for about a year, so I was hoping to at least get SOME sound out.. anyway here is the tale:
I put them together (everything looked in order) and tried playing: nothing. No sound, just rushing air. It felt as if I was having to pump the bellows a ridiculous number of times just to inflate the bag. So I took off the stock, plugged up, and tried just the chanter. I did get some notes but extremely weak and thin, and the low D and C were almost impossible. I thought that maybe the air travel had opened all the reeds, so I pulled them and tried sucking on the ends. All gave a squeak excepting the bass drone. I then blew into the bag intake by mouth, and it would not hold any air; it just made this very odd, deep sound like a duck call. Something is definitely flopping around in there. Could the valve being bad be the cause of all the troubles. or is it likely to be a combination of a bad valve AND bad reeds? Is there any way to pull the intake from the bag to have a look at the valve? Does it even HAVE a valve inside? I tried to remove it (gently) and it did not feel as if it wanted to budge; the wooden connection did rotate quite freely however. I have put on a humidifier in the room to see if that helps any, but the rushing air problem seems to be much too big to merely be a humidity drop.

I knew these types of pipes were notoriously finicky, but I was hoping to at least be able to start learning right out of the blocks. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

:sniffle:

Robert Mouland
www.wireharp.com
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I am keeping a list of the horrible sounds people get. I can now add duck call to castrated pig and whoopee cushion. :lol: Don't worry. I'm sure help is on the way. (Best stay in doors---others have reported being attacked by geese.)
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

How long have you had them? No doubt the trip over has been too much for the reeds at this time of year. You'll want to keep the relative humidity around 60% (my preference), anything below 50% will result in reeds not working well... if at all.

Blowing into the bag inlet valve won't work.... it's there to prevent air from backing out.

I'll bet 99% of your issues is reed related.... due to low humidity/travel/climate conditions of the aircraft hold it was transported in.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

LOL Funny you mention this. We just finished a CD (with my local band here) and I was affectionately listed in the credits as appearing on: uilleann pipes, high and low whistles, bodhrán and "duck calls". No joke! :D
simonknight

Post by simonknight »

I'm in Chester County not far from you. I'm struggling with a room humidifier to keep it at 40% (the point where my reeds get really difficult).

The symptoms of pumping like crazy is probably a drone reed come loose - easy to fix. It's quite likley that the chanter reed is closed up or suffering from the humidity if you are gettin a very thin sound.

If you want to get in touch you can pm me.
Simon
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

This duck call sold for $43,000 about 5m yrs ago.

WireHarp

Post by WireHarp »

43k ... hmm.. ok. Somewhat expensive duck call....

THe pipes have only arrived day before yesterday, so the ' adjustment' situation is definitely a big part of the problem I would think. Mr. Bayley emailed me on how to remove the blowpipe, and when I fiddled with the clack it did help a bit. It was leaking massively back into the bellows.. I still have to get it to close tight. That is what was causing the grunting. I put the stock back in and actually got to of the drones to sound, albeit very poorly so I think the trouble is most likely reed related. Gee.. I bet you guys never heard THAT before...

I feel like I have just pushed Samuel L. Jackson out the window and am now going... "What have I done.... what have I done..."

Robert "Darth" Mouland
www.wireharp.com
sean an piobaire

Post by sean an piobaire »

My friend "the Beef", who sold you those pipes, which were resident in California, not recently over from Britain, has moved on to a Williams set of UPs...I have never seen, or heard, a Chris Bayley Pastoral set ,"in person", but if you want to "PM" me and I can probably make some reeds for it, and tie the stocks in, if they are loose. I'm in Illinois for the winter, come on down, it's not that far from you.
Yes, there's ALWAYS problems, and I've been around HARPS... wire and Nylon strung....and I've tuned them up from time to time, so my wife Sharon (who IS the Harper of the family), could rest up, before a gig....I know that you CAN tolerate alot of frustration (39 wire strings to tune on a Jay Witcher copy of the O'fFogerty family Harp, and that harp, along with the Lamont, has the best- easier to tune- harmonic curve of all the old harps). So get on the "tractor beam" Wire Harp! There is light.... at the other end of the chanter!
Yours, in Friendly comiseration, Sean Folsom
WireHarp

Post by WireHarp »

Thanks for the offers of help, I will probably be taking you up on them. THe set is beginning to make a toot here and there, but no where NEAR anything musical. I have been playing shuttles for about 10 months now, and am spoiled ROTTEN at being able to pull them out anywhere and crank away...
God bless those little yogurt cups.
Sean.. Illinois is a tad far from PA; I played at the Carbondale Fest once and lordy it was a long drive. I will most likely be looking for those who are willing to make reeds, at least till I can learn the secrets of the art; okay.. until I can take a stab at making the damned things. 39 stung Ffogerty? Nice. Mine is a 36 Sirr I made about five years ago. THe pathetic thing is that I got the pastorals hoping I could STOP bringing the harp to festivals etc, it is too damned hard to keep in tune when the sun hits it. What was I thinking...oh my. THanks again, I will keep things updated as they hopefully progress.

Robert Mouland
www.wireharp.com
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Brought this over from another thread:

LOL....Duck hunters are calling me at 3 & 4 am asking me to bring my set to the fields to call in the ducks......LOL

Most expensive duck call and one with the most bulk they have seen. They can say if its the sound of the pipes or my arm going in and out with the bellows that bring them in. My brother-in-law thinks the geese think I am wounded and they are trying to comfort me....

Top that for bad!
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
taupe

Post by taupe »

and from ebay in the bagpipes listing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Old-Leather-Metal ... dZViewItem

Happy Christmas everybody :party: